Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Batherson + Brannstrom for Andersson?

I’d do it.
I’d add one of the 1st this year as well.

Rolling this D until Andersson needs his new contract would make me extraordinarily happy.
THIS would have to be the best D in the league, and it’s actually doable salary wise.
IMO you then move Chabot when Andersson’s contract needs to be renewed.

Chychrun Andersson
Sanderson Zub
Chabot Kleven

NB613

Jul 26, 2013
Ottawa
I just think we're short 3-4 core players for a good cup team with no one great in the pipeline.

Giroux/Tarasenko/Kubalik/Joseph etc are filler players who won't be here.

Tkachuk - Stutzle - ???
??? - Norris - Batherson
Greig - Pinto - ???
??? - ??? - ???
Kelly

Sanderson - Zub
Chychrun - ???
Chabot - ???

Who do we have to fill in those spots long term from the minors? All of the teams around us are going to have deeper teams with all of the picks they have coming up.

I'd listen if anyone called with a good offer for Batherson, Chabot, etc.
Sorry but why is Kelly listed?

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

I would do it, but Batherson has neutral or negative value at this point. He went from being on one of the best contracts in the league after his great 2022 season, to being another one of those players who isn't bad like a traditional David Clarkson type contract, but might be difficult to move because of their term and inconsistent play.

Reilly Smith with 2 years left going for a 3rd is a good reality-check with Batherson.

Brannstrom doesn't make sense in the trade, because I doubt Calgary would want him, and he is apparently hurt for a while. Brannstrom would only make sense in a Batherson for Weegar type swap, because they need someone in there to help equalize the cap in/out. Batherson and Andersson already have close to offsetting cap hits.

I think Batherson is the next Zibanejad in that he will probably be traded after being so up and down here, and he will put it together somewhere else. With that said, I don't think on his own he currently has the kind of value needed to get a top pairing RHD on a great contract. I guess it is possible Calgary or any individual team could really like Batherson, but I think it is more likely the trade would be like sure we will take Batherson to make the cap work, but you still have to give us a 1st++.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
I’d do it.
I’d add one of the 1st this year as well.

Rolling this D until Andersson needs his new contract would make me extraordinarily happy.
THIS would have to be the best D in the league, and it’s actually doable salary wise.
IMO you then move Chabot when Andersson’s contract needs to be renewed.

Chychrun Andersson
Sanderson Zub
Chabot Kleven

need to get chabot off the team in this situation.

8m is like 2 great top 9 forwards.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
I thought of that as well. Sens are still in Cap Hell as soon as Chabot comes back. Adding another contract like Kessel could just end up posing another problem at that time.
I think he'd do a league minimum. But yeah, regardless of the cap, still in trouble.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
You have to be downright dumb to trade Batherson unless the haul is spectacular. Sorry, but I've seen what he can do. No thanks.

The context is getting a borderline #1 RHD.

I agree about Batherson, but I also think he is someone who likely benefits most from a change of scenery because he is not getting top offensive minutes here. He is also one of the few significant pieces up front that might actually be moveable in a hockey trade if the new management feels they need to make major surgery on the roster without a rebuild.

Even if that just means moving him out for a minimal return but recouping his cap to use on a different major piece that changes the complexion of the team and sends a message about the stagnation of the lineup.

They either cannot or won't trade Tkachuk, Sanderson, Stutzle, or Giroux. I think Norris is unlikely to be moved because of the importance of center depth, and his ties to Tkachuk. Zub is the only RHD in the top 4.

Unless the plan is that this team is perfect and they are only going to cycle out 3rd or 4th liners, the only significant players they could possibly move in a re-tool would be Chabot, Chychrun, or Batherson.

Reactions: SpezDispenser

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
The context is getting a borderline #1 RHD.

I agree about Batherson, but I also think he is someone who likely benefits most from a change of scenery because he is not getting top offensive minutes here. He is also one of the few significant pieces up front that might actually be moveable in a hockey trade if the new management feels they need to make major surgery on the roster without a rebuild.

Even if that just means moving him out for a minimal return but recouping his cap to use on a different major piece that changes the complexion of the team and sends a message about the stagnation of the lineup.

They either cannot or won't trade Tkachuk, Sanderson, Stutzle, or Giroux. I think Norris is unlikely to be moved because of the importance of center depth, and his ties to Tkachuk. Zub is the only RHD in the top 4.

Unless the plan is that this team is perfect and they are only going to cycle out 3rd or 4th liners, the only significant players they could possibly move in a re-tool would be Chabot, Chychrun, or Batherson.
If you have to do it, you do it for a top pair RD, but then one of the 4 excellent Dmen are redundant.

I personally think that kind of trade is not gonna happen anytime soon. Instead, it's time to split the top line up and get the Tkachuk-norris-batherson line back together.

Funnily, the only thing that makes the top 9 not perfect to me personally is the fact that Tarasenko is a rw. Otherwise, that top 9 - especially with Pinto and now Greig - is f***ing dynamite and has no business looking like shit.

I think, hence the coach must go idea.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I would do it, but Batherson has neutral or negative value at this point. He went from being on one of the best contracts in the league after his great 2022 season, to being another one of those players who isn't bad like a traditional David Clarkson type contract, but might be difficult to move because of their term and inconsistent play.

Reilly Smith with 2 years left going for a 3rd is a good reality-check with Batherson.

Brannstrom doesn't make sense in the trade, because I doubt Calgary would want him, and he is apparently hurt for a while. Brannstrom would only make sense in a Batherson for Weegar type swap, because they need someone in there to help equalize the cap in/out. Batherson and Andersson already have close to offsetting cap hits.

I think Batherson is the next Zibanejad in that he will probably be traded after being so up and down here, and he will put it together somewhere else. With that said, I don't think on his own he currently has the kind of value needed to get a top pairing RHD on a great contract. I guess it is possible Calgary or any individual team could really like Batherson, but I think it is more likely the trade would be like sure we will take Batherson to make the cap work, but you still have to give us a 1st++.
Calgary has scored 22 goals in 10 games, they need offence. Their left side D is weak. Batherson is not a cap dump.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

A second line forward obviously doesn’t have the same value as a top pair D but the idea that Batherson has negative value is unhinged. His production for his contract value is a great deal.

The guy is becoming a major whipping boy.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
A second line forward obviously doesn’t have the same value as a top pair D but the idea that Batherson has negative value is unhinged. His production for his contract value is a great deal.

The guy is becoming a major whipping boy.
Probably because Batherson is a very replaceable player. I'd much rather a top 4 RH D and a good 3rd liner than Batherson. He doesn't play winning hockey. He's so damn lazy and piss poor defensively. And he doesn't shoot the puck.

Reactions: Senovision

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Probably because Batherson is a very replaceable player. I'd much rather a top 4 RH D and a good 3rd liner than Batherson. He doesn't play winning hockey. He's so damn lazy and piss poor defensively. And he doesn't shoot the puck.

I’ve got no disagreements with what you’re presenting but saying he has negative value is plain wrong.

On the playmaking part, I think he’s a little like Mark Stone.

Natural inclination is playmaker, but if you assign him the role of shooter he changes his mentality. Like he and Stone did at the WJC.

The sens have a lot of shoot first centres though, so playing with Norris or Pinto, Bath will likely always be a playmaker. I’d like to see how his style changes with Greig.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
I’ve got no disagreements with what you’re presenting but saying he has negative value is plain wrong.

On the playmaking part, I think he’s a little like Mark Stone.

Natural inclination is playmaker, but if you assign him the role of shooter he changes his mentality. Like he and Stone did at the WJC.

The sens have a lot of shoot first centres though, so playing with Norris or Pinto, Bath will likely always be a playmaker. I’d like to see how his style changes with Greig.
He definitely doesn't have negative value. I'd like to see how he does with a new coach. But I'm not opposed to making a hockey trade with him as the center piece. A shake up could be a good thing for this team.

Reactions: Bileur

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Shaky twitter source said we almost had a deal with the sharks

And GM offered dj to step down but still remain with org

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Then we have a massive hole in the top 9 and the P.p. Im no massiv ebatherson fan tho.

Is there a corresponding trade to ship out a d man. Especially when they’re all healthy?

Senovision

May 23, 2011
And for a guy that is 6'3 210 pounds he is scared to get hit and he doesn't hit very often.

Reactions: Daffy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad