Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mookie McGee

Mar 4, 2020
I like Pinto, but the fact of the matter is we only win anything if Stu and Norris are a great 1-2 at center, and our 3rd line with Greig has a center who has outproduced Pinto in ppg (ok small sample size) in his career to date.

Unless you see Pinto becoming a 55-60 point 3rd line center, maybe Greig is a better option.

Maybe Pinto on wing is a substantial upgrade on Kubalik, but maybe not.

But if you consider Pinto to be surplus talent, maybe the move is to wait out a GM in the west who sees his rebuild needing a solid center, and offer a team like SJ or Anaheim Pinto + our first + whatever for their first. Or a trade with someone like Winnipeg for their 1st.

Our best core players were all top 5 picks - Tkachuk, Stu and Sanderson. Weaseling our way into another, especially with Giroux not getting any younger, could be the last piece of the puzzle.

Reactions: ottawagm

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Well it is what it is. But didn’t he accumulate some point last year when chabot and chychrun were out?
Brannstrom has been one of the worst semi-regular PP D (bottom 5-15 in all categories out of the top 75-90 D in PP TOI) across the last three years and last season was his worst by far

The PP is crisp with him because he just immediately passes it off to the guy closest to him. He has no creativity or dynamism whatsoever. He's a way better PKer than PP guy, which is saying a lot because he's basically the last guy you want in a net front battle

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Brannstrom at 2M is fine on paper. He's a legitimate bottom pair defenseman who can QB a PP unit and also can kill penalties.

The problem is that this team isn't in a position to benefit from his best asset, which is that he can be slotted on the #2 PP unit. This is because they already have 3 other defenseman who are better than Brannstrom on the powerplay. This is a unique problem to have.

The other issue is that the cap was mismanaged this offseason. Brannstrom is maybe the second most redundant player with a cap hit above the threshold for burying contracts. Given that they didn't have to qualify him, if they have to bundle a pick with his contract to clear space for Pinto, it's a bad look.

I think that's dorions biggest mistake. The small contracts. I dig branstrom as a bottom pair defenseman, and even harmonic I'd a perfect bottom pair guy who can sub up when needed.

But damn... Pinto needed to get signed first.

Maybe it's on Pinto to an extent. He wouldn't budge on demands and Dorion moved ahead with other business hoping to get baxk to Pinto later.

But it all turned into a cluster f***. And dorions big blunders, bad free agent signings and bad contracts resulting in buy outs and burying cap have come back to haunt him.

Reactions: h2owned and NB613

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
What about Kubalik for Boqvist?

I can't imagine Boqvist has any real value right now. He is no longer a young prospect, he has been scratched, and he has term. Sens are desperate for a RHD, and now with the Brannstrom injury, they are down 2 defensemen. I get he was a top 10 pick, but that was ages ago, he's basically their Brannstrom in a sense that he was a highly touted prospect who has settled into being a #5-6 in the NHL.

For Columbus, it gets them out of the 2nd year of his contract when it is clear they have more than one redundant D with term. They likely prefer to move Peeke, but I doubt they can without also taking back term.

Reactions: Senator Stanley

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Damn. I thought he racked up a few.

Still I like the look of the pp when he man’s it.
You can look good while not actually being good enough.

Brannstrom just isn't good enough. It sucks for us and for him, clearly he works hard, everyone here would love for him to be producing.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
What about Kubalik for Boqvist?

I can't imagine Boqvist has any real value right now. He is no longer a young prospect, he has been scratched, and he has term. Sens are desperate for a RHD, and now with the Brannstrom injury, they are down 2 defensemen. I get he was a top 10 pick, but that was ages ago, he's basically their Brannstrom in a sense that he was a highly touted prospect who has settled into being a #5-6 in the NHL.

For Columbus, it gets them out of the 2nd year of his contract when it is clear they have more than one redundant D with term. They likely prefer to move Peeke, but I doubt they can without also taking back term.
Why are we desperate for a RHD? Not like Boqvist would play in our top 4. Regardless, give me Peeke over Boqvist any day.

I'd trade a 6th for Ian Mitchell or some other borderline NHLer before making a move for Boqvist or Peeke, personally.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Brannstrom just isn't good enough. It sucks for us and for him, clearly he works hard, everyone here would love for him to be producing.
Cest la vie.

When he’s no longer one of the best 6 d we should move him along

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Why are we desperate for a RHD? Not like Boqvist would play in our top 4. Regardless, give me Peeke over Boqvist any day.

I'd trade a 6th for Ian Mitchell or some other borderline NHLer before making a move for Boqvist or Peeke, personally.

Peeke is another option, but he has more term left.

Peeke is a much better fit for our lineup, but he comes with a lot more risk. Nobody wants to trade Joseph at this point, but it would have to be something like Joseph for Peeke for me to feel comfortable with it.

Prior to the Pinto suspension, myself and other posters had discussed something based around Brannstrom/Kubalik for Peeke, with the logic being that it balances the Senators lineup and frees up room to sign Pinto at the expense of taking on the risk of Peeke's term. For Columbus, they would take on a bit of extra cap this season but get out of the Peeke contract. I don't think that same deal makes sense today with how much has changed.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015

Why focus only on production?

A lot of things Brannstrom does well even if the numbers don't show up. And if the numbers did convert, he would become too expensive.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Incoming one last upper decker from Dorion before he hits the road.

One of CLB’s shit D for the Sens 2024th 2nd, for old times sake

Yeah he’s just not very good.

He’ll find a spot somewhere next year

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Friedman on the Marek show "One of the things I have been working on today is that there are rumours now that they gonna make a GM change, there are rumours now that if they are gonna pay a penalty for the Dadonov trade. There are a lot of rumours and parts of it might be true and parts might not be. "

ottawagm

May 6, 2023
Friedman on the Marek show "One of the things I have been working on today is that there are rumours now that they gonna make a GM change, there are rumours now that if they are gonna pay a penalty for the Dadonov trade. There are a lot of rumours and parts of it might be true and parts might not be. "
What's this, Friedman chasing down Lalime Martian rumours?

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
There isn't going to be a solution where we get a good defenseman. We probably find a veteran on a 1M type contract who is cast out somewhere and reasonably shouldn't be playing above a #6 spot, and we give up a 4th round pick or something because it's preferable to playing JBD in the top 4.

How bad is Myers? Surely, Tampa would give him up for free to get his 250k buried penalty off the books.

BUCKLE UP

MVPTP
Nov 30, 2009
Ottawa
Peeke and Columbus is starting to make sense again. Columbus wants to dump a defenseman and we suddenly have the cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad