Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I wouldn't have thought trading Pinto was ever going to be on the table, but with Greig exceeding expectations playing center, maybe things have changed.

The only move that would make some sense to me would be swapping Pinto for a similar quality young forward that is still on an ELC. Examples such as:

NSH: Tomasino
CBJ: Sillinger
CHI: Reichel
ARZ: Guenther
SEA: Wright
It would hurt if Sillinger is the one coming back, as he was sitting right there for us at the draft and we went with Tyler Boucher.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
:flyers
Scott Laughton (Half Retained) (1.5M x 3Y)
Oliver Bonk (950k x 3Y)
2026 PHI 6th Round Pick

:sens
Shane Pinto (RFA Rights)
2024 DET 1st Round Pick
2026 OTT 5th Round Pick

There were the rumblings that the Flyers were willing to take a bad contract presumed to be Joseph in a Pinto for Laughton swap.

With Joseph playing well, they compromise at Philadelphia retaining half of Laughton's contract. Laughton is obviously not overpaid, he is underpaid, but it is a way to trade cap to Ottawa without dumping Joseph.

The Bonk for 1st Round Pick swap is for optics to bring in the son of a popular former player so that the trade isn't just "they sold off Pinto for a 30 year old 3C". Also, they are giving up Pinto for Laughton, so yeah...I doubt PHI would complain.

We let PHI upgrade from the 6th round to the 5th round because you gotta give to get, you know?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Surprised no one talking about this:

Went back and watched the Garrioch segment in case that was out of context, but no he definitely gave the impression that Pinto could be on the move.

If the clarity is that Dorion will trade Pinto to correct his screwup with the Cap I hope that Staios steps in to stop it. Some people are pitting Pinto vs Greig.
I do not pit Pinto against Greig and I really believe the best Senators Lineup has both Pinto and Greig in it.. There is no reason to trade Pinto because we have Greig. Pinto is the better player than (2.95, 2.5 and 2.0) , with a sweetener prospect from Belleville (minus 1 or 2) or a 2nd round pick, and he will become a far better player. I would have zero issue attaching Boucher to any of these players to get a deal done.

I believe Dorion is still trying to squeeze Pinto under 2m per. We are starting to hear these off hand rumors ; clarity but not an extension - BG, Pinto should take less - Sportsnet.

Oliver Bonk (950k x 3Y)
2026 PHI 6th Round Pick

Shane Pinto (RFA Rights)
2024 DET 1st Round Pick
2026 OTT 5th Round Pick

There were the rumblings that the Flyers were willing to take a bad contract presumed to be Joseph in a Pinto for Laughton swap.

With Joseph playing well, they compromise at Philadelphia retaining half of Laughton's contract. Laughton is obviously not overpaid, he is underpaid, but it is a way to trade cap to Ottawa without dumping Joseph.

The Bonk for 1st Round Pick swap is for optics to bring in the son of a popular former player so that the trade isn't just "they sold off Pinto for a 30 year old 3C". Also, they are giving up Pinto for Laughton, so yeah...I doubt PHI would complain.

We let PHI upgrade from the 6th round to the 5th round because you gotta give to get, you know?
Giving up WAY too much

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
IN:
-Alexis Lafreniere (2.325Mx2Y)
-Brayden Schneider (925kx1Y)

OUT:
-Shane Pinto (RFA Rights)
-2024 OTT 4th Round Pick

IN:
-Dominik Kubalik
-2026 3rd Round Pick or 2027 2nd Round Pick (PHI's choice)

OUT:
-Retention On Erik Brannstrom (1Mx1Y)

:rangers

IN:
-Shane Pinto (2.5Mx2Y)
-Erik Brannstrom (1Mx1Y)
-2024 OTT 4th Round Pick

OUT:

Schneider doesn't look like he is going to make the jump to being an impact defenseman. I can't imagine he has a ton of trade value right now. The purpose of the Brannstrom/Schneider swap is to get Ottawa an additional 1M in cap space while bringing in a comparable young D.

Rangers give up the future 2nd because Pinto>Lafreniere in terms of value. That 2nd goes to Philadelphia to compensate them for taking Kubalik and retaining on Brannstrom. The Rangers need retention on Brannstrom to fit the Pinto extension in.

Kubalik is redundant with Lafreniere coming in, and Ottawa needs to fix their cap situation before their big road trip. If they are going to trade Pinto for a worse player, at least they can bring in a big name that will get the hometown fans of the Senateurs D'Gatineau tres excited.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
IN:

OUT:
-Shane Pinto (RFA Rights)
-2024 OTT 4th Round Pick

IN:
-Dominik Kubalik

OUT:
-Retention On Erik Brannstrom (1Mx1Y)

:rangers

IN:
-Shane Pinto (2.5Mx2Y)
-Erik Brannstrom (1Mx1Y)
-2024 OTT 4th Round Pick

OUT:

Schneider doesn't look like he is going to make the jump to being an impact defenseman. I can't imagine he has a ton of trade value right now. The purpose of the Brannstrom/Schneider swap is to get Ottawa an additional 1M in cap space while bringing in a comparable young D.

Rangers give up the future 2nd because Pinto>Lafreniere in terms of value. That 2nd goes to Philadelphia to compensate them for taking Kubalik and retaining on Brannstrom. The Rangers need retention on Brannstrom to fit the Pinto extension in.

Kubalik is redundant with Lafreniere coming in, and Ottawa needs to fix their cap situation before their big road trip. If they are going to trade Pinto for a worse player, at least they can bring in a big name that will get the hometown fans of the Senateurs D'Gatineau tres excited.
That’s quite. A bit for New York to give up.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
There is a zero percent change they trade Pinto.

A trade will happen and they might eat shit while making it but it is what it is

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
That’s quite. A bit for New York to give up.

I don't think Schneider is worth anything more than a 2nd round pick at this point. Then deduct the trade-in value on one Brannstrom. Maybe I am wrong.

It's just a mechanism to get the Senators under the cap but with an NHL bottom pairing D coming back because they don't have a ton of depth that can fill in on the bottom pair.

My logic is that Pinto at this point has more value than Lafreniere. That is another thing I could be wrong on.

Yeah, we’re not trading Pinto.

People are discussing what Booboo Bear said on the broadcast today.

Pinto is absolutely getting traded because if he wasn't, it would mean that Pierre Dorion negotiates through the media. We know he never does that.

ottawagm

May 6, 2023
We need more physicality in our top 9. Every line should have someone willing to grind down the other team's D.

We should look to replace Kubalik and Joseph with more physical players.

Reactions: Senovision

Senovision

May 23, 2011
We need more physicality in our top 9. Every line should have someone willing to grind down the other team's D.

Agreed and our defence is also very soft no one is feared back there and you need to have one or two defencemen that lower the boom and create some semblance of intimidation. Opposing teams feast in our blue ice and around the net and no one ever gets knocked on their ass in front of our net and is one of the reasons why it is open season on our goalies.....( see last year Forsberg injury).

Reactions: Cosmix

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

Those two are both reasonably physical players with decent size.

There aren't many players who are monsters physically but aren't 4th line grinder types who you don't really want playing up on the top 3 lines. It's why Jeannot was so valuable in a trade. It is also why a player like Brady is such a unicorn. We're not getting a top 9 forward with the other attributes Joseph or Kubalik have who is more physical without giving up A-level assets.

Reactions: DrEasy

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I am fine trading Kubalik over Joseph (something I wouldn't have said before the season so maybe the small sample size is swaying me)

Joseph provides value on the PK. Kubalik is a luxury on a team swimming with goal scorers. Kubalik is also on a value deal expiring at the end of the season so sens should bolster their draft board using him as a trade chip. Something like a 2nd and a 4th should work from a team like Seattle/Columbus/Philly

Don't sign Pinto over 2.2 we need that extra room to have options with call ups like Kleven over JBD or Smejkal over MacEwan

Tkachuk - Stützle - Giroux
Greig - Norris - Batherson
Joseph - Pinto - Tarasenko
Smejkal - Kastelic - Kelly

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Kubalik is not some rookie... this is what he has always been. A one dimensional streaky scorer who provides nothing else.

Not sure why people were hyping him up here.

There is a reason why Det was ready to move him and why he only got 2.5 mill on the market

Reactions: BigRig4

ottawagm

May 6, 2023
Shouldn't we wait and see first what Smejkal can do at the AHL level before we lose an asset to make room for him (and Pinto, admittedly)?
Isn't the consensus that we'll have to pay to move Kubalik at this point? If we can trade him for something then we should do that, but I doubt he'll be picked up.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Isn't the consensus that we'll have to pay to move Kubalik at this point? If we can trade him for something then we should do that, but I doubt he'll be picked up.
To me Kubalik himself is an asset, nevermind what we may have to pay to move him. Ultimately, Kubalik is still a legit NHL player; it's not clear yet whether Smejkal is. So I'm just preaching a bit of patience.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Oliver Bonk (950k x 3Y)
2026 PHI 6th Round Pick

Shane Pinto (RFA Rights)
2024 DET 1st Round Pick
2026 OTT 5th Round Pick

Sorry dude. That's just crazy talk. We're not moving Pinto to acquire Laughton and adding to it to do so

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
If the clarity is that Dorion will trade Pinto to correct his screwup with the Cap I hope that Staios steps in to stop it. Some people are pitting Pinto vs Greig.
I do not pit Pinto against Greig and I really believe the best Senators Lineup has both Pinto and Greig in it.. There is no reason to trade Pinto because we have Greig. Pinto is the better player than (2.95, 2.5 and 2.0) , with a sweetener prospect from Belleville (minus 1 or 2) or a 2nd round pick, and he will become a far better player. I would have zero issue attaching Boucher to any of these players to get a deal done.

I believe Dorion is still trying to squeeze Pinto under 2m per. We are starting to hear these off hand rumors ; clarity but not an extension - BG, Pinto should take less - Sportsnet.

Giving up WAY too much
I think we're definitely better with both Pinto and Greig in the lineup. No question about that.

Is Pinto the better player? I'm not sure. I think Greig will be a better offensive player. Pinto probably the better defensive player because he's got the big body. Ultimately offensive players earn more.

There's not been a lot in the media other than speculation and the speculation has come from every angle. If this is a situation where Pinto will sign a 2*2 deal, then ya this is a screwed up cap problem. But is it that? There doesn't seem to be a lot of concrete info out there about it.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I've been saying this for a long time....seems like it's becoming a thing here now

I still think that a coaching change can bring back another type of Chabot.

This "shinny, show me what you got" system we playing now is not conducive to a productive Chabot at all.

But it seems like it's long lost now, damage is done on Chabot and all those years of 30+ minutes have done their part. We could literally replace Chabot with a 3-4 million player and not feel difference now it seems. He's a bigger Brannstrom, nothing more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad