Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Ottawa doesn't have bad contracts. Maybe there's a case for Chabot being overpaid but even that's a stretch

Joseph would be the only candidate if you base it on his play last season. If you base it on his play in training camp and so far this season, he is more than living up to his cap hit and term.

I would be less comfortable long-term with Pageau even retained @ 3M than I would with Joseph. In the short-term, acquiring Pageau only makes sense if we have a major deficiency at centre caused by Norris being on LTIR and Pinto not signing. That doesn't look to be the case.

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
Step 1: Trade Kubalik to Carolina for a 2nd round pick
Step 2: Re-sign Pinto
Step 3: At the deadline, trade the Det 1st, Car 2nd and Roby Jarventie to Philadelphia for Travis Konecny
Step 4: Upset the Leafs in the playoffs
Step 5: Re-sign Konecny to a long-term deal in the summer to be the eventual Giroux replacement
Step 6: FYOUS

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
How about this.

Kubalik + 2nd + 4th to NYR for Lafreniere.

Chartier and MacEwan sent down, sign Pinto 1 year, 1.75m

Tkachuk/Stutzle/Giroux
Laf/Norris/Batherson
Joseph/Pinto/Tarasenko
Kelly/Grieg/Kostelic

BUCKLE UP

MVPTP
Nov 30, 2009
Ottawa
How about this.

Tkachuk/Stutzle/Giroux
Laf/Norris/Batherson
Joseph/Pinto/Tarasenko
Kelly/Grieg/Kostelic

It could of worked before Laf started looking like a new player this season.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
How about this.

Tkachuk/Stutzle/Giroux
Laf/Norris/Batherson
Joseph/Pinto/Tarasenko
Kelly/Grieg/Kostelic

That would be like someone offering us Kubalik+2nd+4th for Pinto. We would rightfully be offended.

Look at what Dach went for, 13th overall+66th overall.

The only way I can see us getting Lafreniere would be if:
1) The Rangers like Pinto.
2) We prefer Greig at center.
3) We anticipate it won't work with Pinto and we should trade him before he nukes his value by publicly requesting a trade.

The Rangers and Senators could swap Pinto and Lafreniere. Dorion would then pull the trigger on whatever his cap clearing move is. I assume it is something like sending Kubalik somewhere with an asset attached to him, or for a minimal return.

The Rangers couldn't take Kubalik, so we would need a third team. With Lafreniere out, the Rangers would have the cap to pay Pinto. Lafreniere might lineup with Norris and Batherson. I'm sure Andlauer would be thrilled to get the most marketable Francophone player the league has seen in years.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
It could of worked before Laf started looking like a new player this season.

I don't see it. Kubalik would have been worth a 3rd-7th pick around the draft. Lafreniere just turned 22 and he already has three pro-seasons with close to a 20 goal career pace. It's not exactly like he is a bust. If he was drafted anywhere outside of the top 5, people would value him a lot more, it's just the 1st overall tag that leads to a bias against him.

Look at it this way, what would the discussion be like if Pinto was taken first overall? We'd be calling for his head. Because he was taken 32nd overall, we value him highly based on one season where he produced like Lafreniere has for three seasons.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I don't see it. Kubalik would have been worth a 3rd-7th pick around the draft. Lafreniere just turned 22 and he already has three pro-seasons with close to a 20 goal career pace. It's not exactly like he is a bust. If he was drafted anywhere outside of the top 5, people would value him a lot more, it's just the 1st overall tag that leads to a bias against him.

Look at it this way, what would the discussion be like if Pinto was taken first overall? We'd be calling for his head. Because he was taken 32nd overall, we value him highly based on one season where he produced like Lafreniere has for three seasons.
Pinto wasn't shoved down our throats the same way Laf was through the hockey world.

Being 1st overall and being touted as the second coming to Jesus is why he is labelled a bust.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Step 1: Trade Kubalik to Carolina for a 2nd round pick
Step 2: Re-sign Pinto
Step 3: At the deadline, trade the Det 1st, Car 2nd and Roby Jarventie to Philadelphia for Travis Konecny
Step 4: Upset the Leafs in the playoffs
Step 5: Re-sign Konecny to a long-term deal in the summer to be the eventual Giroux replacement
Step 6: FYOUS

Brilliant, but instead of Jarventie, I would try to sell them on Boucher or Ostapchuk

Reactions: Cosmix

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Trading Pinto should not be the solution to this debacle
The Origin of Debacle Is French
Debacle comes from the French noun débâcle, which comes from the verb débâcler, meaning "to clear," "to unbolt," or "to unbar." That verb is from Middle French desbacler, which joined the prefix des- (equivalent to our de-, meaning "to do the opposite of") with the verb "bacler" ("to block"). In its original uses, "debacle" meant a breaking up of ice, or the rush of ice or water that follows such an occurrence. Eventually, "debacle" was used also to mean "a violent, destructive flood." Naturally, such uses led to meanings such as "a breaking up," "collapse," and finally "disaster" or "fiasco.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
The Origin of Debacle Is French
Debacle comes from the French noun débâcle, which comes from the verb débâcler, meaning "to clear," "to unbolt," or "to unbar." That verb is from Middle French desbacler, which joined the prefix des- (equivalent to our de-, meaning "to do the opposite of") with the verb "bacler" ("to block"). In its original uses, "debacle" meant a breaking up of ice, or the rush of ice or water that follows such an occurrence. Eventually, "debacle" was used also to mean "a violent, destructive flood." Naturally, such uses led to meanings such as "a breaking up," "collapse," and finally "disaster" or "fiasco.
Actually....
It stems from Duex-Back-Elle

Meaning it turns out the girl you were interested in has two backs, she stuffs her corset. The equivalent to push up bras today.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
There has do be a market for kubalik if 4 teams are in on Garland. Similar production but Garland costs twice as much and has term. Garland is more valuable but not by so much that it means kubalik has 0 value
I think they're trying to figure out a way to do this without trading anyone at this point.

Kubalik Norris Batherson looked unreal last night.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
That would be like someone offering us Kubalik+2nd+4th for Pinto. We would rightfully be offended.

Look at what Dach went for, 13th overall+66th overall.

The only way I can see us getting Lafreniere would be if:
1) The Rangers like Pinto.
2) We prefer Greig at center.
3) We anticipate it won't work with Pinto and we should trade him before he nukes his value by publicly requesting a trade.

The Rangers and Senators could swap Pinto and Lafreniere. Dorion would then pull the trigger on whatever his cap clearing move is. I assume it is something like sending Kubalik somewhere with an asset attached to him, or for a minimal return.

The Rangers couldn't take Kubalik, so we would need a third team. With Lafreniere out, the Rangers would have the cap to pay Pinto. Lafreniere might lineup with Norris and Batherson. I'm sure Andlauer would be thrilled to get the most marketable Francophone player the league has seen in years.
Pinto is a better and more valuable player than Lafreniere. Who's gonna play center when the sens have an injury. Pass.

(or the 5M in dead cap)
Correct they have 4 really really bad contracts.

Chabot and Joseph are inconsistent so depending on the day they are overpaid. However some days they certainly aren't.

One more year and the sens are in an amazing situation cap wise. That's why they can't do anything stupid with Pinto here it's only temporary. Which means no burning assets and no trading Pinto.

Kubalik is really the only option or sending down Chartier after Macewen clears and signing Pinto for 1.5 for 1 year.

Reactions: aragorn

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
How about this.

Tkachuk/Stutzle/Giroux
Laf/Norris/Batherson
Joseph/Pinto/Tarasenko
Kelly/Grieg/Kostelic

I’d immediately pull the trigger which suggests they wouldn’t do it.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think they're trying to figure out a way to do this without trading anyone at this point.

Kubalik Norris Batherson looked unreal last night.
I don't see much chance of no trade, and even if you do manage that, Pinto in means one of our lines gets disrupted, Tank Greig and Joseph have been great together as well.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I don't see much chance of no trade, and even if you do manage that, Pinto in means one of our lines gets disrupted, Tank Greig and Joseph have been great together as well.
Agreed, however that's a good problem to have. And there will be injuries.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Agreed, however that's a good problem to have. And there will be injuries.
Well, that's really part of the problem, unless the injuries are of the LTIR variety, no trade means we have zero flexibility to deal with injuries, we already had to waive MacEwen to deal with an injury to Zub, adding Pinto to the roster, even with a 1 year dirt cheap deal, just tightens everything up even further,

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
How about this.

Tkachuk/Stutzle/Giroux
Laf/Norris/Batherson
Joseph/Pinto/Tarasenko
Kelly/Grieg/Kostelic
New York says no. No reason to that

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
How about this.

Tkachuk/Stutzle/Giroux
Laf/Norris/Batherson
Joseph/Pinto/Tarasenko
Kelly/Grieg/Kostelic
Greig isn't a 4th liner, if we have him there, might as well send him to the AHL to get big mins.

Laf for Kubalik is a great move for us, not so much for NYR. It also doesn't really open up any capspace for Pinto, so while the 175k helps, it still leaves us in a situation where every injury puts us in a real squeeze,

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Greig isn't a 4th liner, if we have him there, might as well send him to the AHL to get big mins.

Laf for Kubalik is a great move for us, not so much for NYR. It also doesn't really open up any capspace for Pinto, so while the 175k helps, it still leaves us in a situation where every injury puts us in a real squeeze,
I would be just as fine as running
Grieg/Pinto/Tarasenko
Kelly/Kostalic/Joseph

Moving Laf now, saves them some cap space over the next couple years when they have to do some big re-signs.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Pinto is a better and more valuable player than Lafreniere. Who's gonna play center when the sens have an injury. Pass.

I agree. In response to the Kubalik+2nd+4th proposal the other poster made, I was going over the hypothetical of what I think it would take to get Lafreniere. I wasn't advocating on trading a center away for a winger.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Even if Pinto signs tomorrow, I would keep Greig in the lineup in the short term.

It has only been one game for Norris. He may have his ups and downs since he has played so little in the last two years. Pinto also will need time to get up to speed.

Even if Greig is stuck on the 4th line, it would be ideal to have someone who can shift up to either of the middle 2 lines on C or W in a scenario where Norris or Pinto aren't playing well.

Greig has shown chemistry with Tarasenko, so I would hesitate to separate the two.

Also, if we sign Pinto that means Kubalik might be gone. That could open up a spot for Greig to move to the wing with the Norris/Batherson pairing. Although, I think Joseph could also be a good fit there because it gives them someone fast to be a retrieval guy and disrupt things on the forechek. Batherson is big and aggressive on the forechek, but he is slow.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Even if Pinto signs tomorrow, I would keep Greig in the lineup in the short term.

It has only been one game for Norris. He may have his ups and downs since he has played so little in the last two years. Pinto also will need time to get up to speed.

Even if Greig is stuck on the 4th line, it would be ideal to have someone who can shift up to either of the middle 2 lines on C or W in a scenario where Norris or Pinto aren't playing well.

Greig has shown chemistry with Tarasenko, so I would hesitate to separate the two.

Also, if we sign Pinto that means Kubalik might be gone. That could open up a spot for Greig to move to the wing with the Norris/Batherson pairing. Although, I think Joseph could also be a good fit there because it gives them someone fast to be a retrieval guy and disrupt things on the forechek. Batherson is big and aggressive on the forechek, but he is slow.
I don't think losing Kubalik will hurt that much. It brings Pinto in, and we have depth at forward (young players, etc.). It sure doesn't look like it's a desperate necessity at this point though. I'd wonder if that would weigh on Pinto (versus his agent). Kind of sad that we pissed away 7th overall but I guess that's water under the bridge now.

scout20

Jul 21, 2022
if Pinto demands a trade: Shane Pinto for Shane Wright. The Sens get a young centre who can play in the AHL this year freeing up cap space. Wright has lots of upside shoots right should eventually be able to replace Pinto's 20-30 goals. Pinto seems to be a Ron Francis type player a two way centre with size.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad