Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
He sounds a lot like Chabot.

Which means getting Pageau for Pinto.
Difference being that Dobson does that while playing 6-7mins less than Chabot, and that Chabot only started making those mistakes when he was playing 6-7mins more (year after year after year)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Difference being that Dobson does that while playing 6-7mins less than Chabot, and that Chabot didn't make those mistakes when he was playing 6-7mins less.

I get that Dobson is younger, but I'd heard middling reviews of his defence even before this season.

Pageau is an expiring quantity so I'm not seeing enough upside of this deal.

Reactions: Senator Stanley

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Dobson is about the same level. 50-60P offensive D that struggles defensively at times.

He is 3 years younger though and I have more faith he'll improve his defensive game than Chabot.

Plus he isn't signed for 8M x 5YRs (9.2M average in real salary) to play his off-side.
Dobson’s contract is up at the end of next year. Pageau is an anchor.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Friedman regarding Pinto “I think that one is gonna sort itself out over the next few days.”

Then Marek goes “Spidey senses are tingling on that one”

It sounded weird during their radio show. I wonder if they know of the trade that supposedly already agreed to clear cap space or if they are hinting at maybe Pinto asking for a trade or something.

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
The Sens should consider offering a 1 year 2 way contract to Nick Ritchie. He was released from his PTO in St Louis a while back and hasn't signed anywhere since. If he wants to stay in North America he might need to be open to signing a 2 way contract. If he is open, it could be a smart move for the Sens as it would give them a bit more proven depth in case they lose a forward clearing cap space to get Pinto signed.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This is interesting:

More recently one of the talking heads said they wanted Greig,

• Haha
Reactions: FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Dobson’s contract is up at the end of next year. Pageau is an anchor.

Dobson is an RFA, not a UFA, so it wouldn't be difficult to re-sign him.

Pageau probably doesn't have any value but I wouldn't consider him an anchor. Still a great 3rd line C.

Doesn’t work at all for the Sens.

There's a number of reasons why it makes sense.

Biggest one by far is that we get a cheaper RD to play beside Chychrun that is half as expensive as Chabot over the next 2 seasons and can then be re-signed long-term to occupy the top RD spot for the foreseeable future.

Balances the D pairs and gets us out of Chabot's contract, which may severly limit his trade value, especially if he spends most of this year on PP2. No one will want to trade much for an 8M offensive defenseman (9.2M average real salary, mind you) that isn't putting up big numbers.

A side benefit is that the trade would actually allow us to have a complete lineup and still remain under the cap. Wouldn't have to dump Kubalik, Brannstrom or Joseph.

Losing Pinto would suck but Pageau should be able to hold down the 3C spot for the next 3 years and do a good job. Obviously we lose on that swap but there has to be a reason for the Isles to make the deal. Getting a young 2nd/3rd line C from Long Island would probably entice them.

Maybe the value isn't quite right and the Isles should be adding a pick/prospect to make up for a bigger difference in value between Dobson/Chabot and Pageau/Pinto, but I think it does make a sense for a number of reasons.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Dobson is an RFA, not a UFA, so it wouldn't be difficult to re-sign him.

Pageau probably doesn't have any value but I wouldn't consider him an anchor. Still a great 3rd line C.

There's a number of reasons why it makes sense.

Biggest one by far is that we get a cheaper RD to play beside Chychrun that is half as expensive as Chabot over the next 2 seasons and can then be re-signed long-term to occupy the top RD spot for the foreseeable future.

Balances the D pairs and gets us out of Chabot's contract, which may severly limit his trade value, especially if he spends most of this year on PP2. No one will want to trade much for an 8M offensive defenseman (9.2M average real salary, mind you) that isn't putting up big numbers.

A side benefit is that the trade would actually allow us to have a complete lineup and still remain under the cap. Wouldn't have to dump Kubalik, Brannstrom or Joseph.

Losing Pinto would suck but Pageau should be able to hold down the 3C spot for the next 3 years and do a good job. Obviously we lose on that swap but there has to be a reason for the Isles to make the deal. Getting a young 2nd/3rd line C from Long Island would probably entice them.

Maybe the value isn't quite right and the Isles should be adding a pick/prospect to make up for a bigger difference in value between Dobson/Chabot and Pageau/Pinto, but I think it does make a sense for a number of reasons.
Pageau’s contract is the big problem. I’d like to avoid any anchors especially 5M on a 4th line centre.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
If we're going to move Pinto for a C, going after Laughton makes more sense than Pageau. Not that I am suggesting that.

I get that people are up and down on Chabot, but team chemistry matters, and he is a pillar. Moving him isn't something that should be taken lightly or even done in-season.

Pageau would be fine to acquire in a scenario where bad cap is going the other way, but I wouldn't want to take on his contract without a bad contract going out to subsidize it.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
If we're going to move Pinto for a C, going after Laughton makes more sense than Pageau. Not that I am suggesting that.

I get that people are up and down on Chabot, but team chemistry matters, and he is a pillar. Moving him isn't something that should be taken lightly or even done in-season.

Pageau would be fine to acquire in a scenario where bad cap is going the other way, but I wouldn't want to take on his contract without a bad contract going out to subsidize it.

Ottawa doesn't have bad contracts. Maybe there's a case for Chabot being overpaid but even that's a stretch

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Trading Pinto should not be the solution to this debacle
I think Greig’s play has raised the possibility in the mind of some fans. I have a difficult time believing the org would move a 6’3 200lbs+ centre who scored 20 as a rookie and demonstrated faceoff and defensive acumen in the NCAA.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think Greig’s play has raised the possibility in the mind of some fans. I have a difficult time believing the org would move a 6’3 200lbs+ centre who scored 20 as a rookie and demonstrated faceoff and defensive acumen in the NCAA.
It it were a consideration, I just hope it would be a player of similar ilk and contract runway in a good hockey deal. The names tossed around are guys that are going to be ineffective and/or gone in probably 3 years max. Feels like something we'd regret quickly.

vandelay

Nov 3, 2022
It's 4 games. Love the kid but he looked good for stretches last year as well. Not saying he doesn't look great now but let's at least give it 10-15 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad