GDT: Free Agency: Dr Strangedubas or How We Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Nerd

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I've been out most of the weekend, so no in-depth comments yet. They're over the cap, so Dubas obviously isn't done.

Not wild about Jarry coming back at that term, but he was probably the best option. Still a risk.

I do think there is a clear plan in place. The Pens signed bottom six forwards who are comfortable and competent in the defensive zone. They have a history of success playing hard minutes.

I think Dubas/Sullivan want those guys to eat hard minutes and set the top six up to take advantage in the offensive zone.

Last year the bottom six had guys who clearly weren't comfortable in more defensive roles. That won't be the case now. It's not sexy, but theoretically it could help the Pens be stingier.

We'll see if it works. I'll reserve more thoughts until Dubas makes his moves to get under the cap.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I’m actually super optimistic about Acciari. He’s not tall, but he’s built like a soda machine and his nose is the shape of a crescent moon.

Just seems like a hardnosed bastard
yah, underrated signing. Eller kinda soured that though.

Reactions: Trade

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
And how do you think that trade will look? Teams will demand 1st round picks to save the pens.
They won't be traded with a first.

We're only £1.5m over. Worst case, send DeSmith down and hope someone takes him

Or make a bigger trade like the EK one

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I've been out most of the weekend, so no in-depth comments yet. They're over the cap, so Dubas obviously isn't done.

Not wild about Jarry coming back at that term, but he was probably the best option. Still a risk.

I do think there is a clear plan in place. The Pens signed bottom six forwards who are comfortable and competent in the defensive zone. They have a history of success playing hard minutes.

I think Dubas/Sullivan want those guys to eat hard minutes and set the top six up to take advantage in the offensive zone.

Last year the bottom six had guys who clearly weren't comfortable in more defensive roles. That won't be the case now. It's not sexy, but theoretically it could help the Pens be stingier.

We'll see if it works. I'll reserve more thoughts until Dubas makes his moves to get under the cap.
We've still got Carter and Granlund occupying two of the six bottom six slots. If the idea is to have two bottom six lines that can hold down the fort defensively, those two have to be moved. If the idea is to have a more "offensive" line with Granlund on it, then they need to upgrade the talent.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I’m actually super optimistic about Acciari. He’s not tall, but he’s built like a soda machine and his nose is the shape of a crescent moon.

Just seems like a hardnosed bastard
I agree. I think he will be the best of the free agent signings, though that bar is set low.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Not trading for that high cap hit RD was the best move to me. That was a really bad move to tie up at least 8 million on a RD who is not a need. GMJR does that deal so at least it went nowhere. Not a perfect day but on the big issues, physical LD in Graves, solid 4th line center RH with grit and Smith a good 2 way player were positives. Kinda neutral on Lars and Nieto and preferred they keep Poehling. The move of the day is Jarry and I am not a Jarry hater but they are putting a lot of faith in him. Move Granlund and DeSmith and get some cap room.

As to the top 6, Rust has to play much better. concern Sid and Geno won't play so many games this year. Pens need to make a decision on Jake and I think once Crosby is gone his game will head south. I move him but that won;t happen with sully. Still want a little more grit but for now the roster is better as to size and grit.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
At least we’re not Toronto. Taking all their defensive effort from the last couple years and throwing it out the window. They seem determined to f*** everything up jr style.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I just hope when we’re out of the playoffs by December, Dubas can move some of these contracts…they’re all the old vets that Sullivan prefers lol

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'll be honest I saw Eller and my brain read Ehlers for a minute and I perked up like the kombucha chick.

Kind of like when I got the alert for Granlund and was bummed because I thought it was Garland, who I hate the thought of acquiring--just to find out it was the even worse Granlund.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022

NO NO NO !! you have to overreact & Shit Your Underroos

Reactions: Darren McCord

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I just hope when we’re out of the playoffs by December, Dubas can move some of these contracts…they’re all the old vets that Sullivan prefers lol
Being way out of the playoffs by December/January is the best possible outcome--though I doubt for a second they have the guts to ship out Jake for a haul or something. This team's gonna plod along like they have for years, barely making or missing the playoffs.

Reactions: Andy99

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
I think I’m just going to watch, enjoy what I can and see what happens.

Not get caught up in all the minor moves that we have no idea how they’ll truly work out. If a splash happens then maybe I’ll perk up.

I control 0% of what happens so why stress out.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Dubas said it was Reidern who recommended Eller based off his time in Washington.

Who’s going to tell him that was 3 years ago and that is not the version Eller they’re getting?

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Dubas said it was Reidern who recommended Eller based off his time in Washington.

Who’s going to tell him that was 3 years ago and that is not the version Eller they’re getting?
Alright why are people taking stock of that eggheads opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad