GDT: Free Agency: Dr Strangedubas or How We Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Nerd

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I get that it's ~spooky~ to explore other options in goal, but man, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed that Jarry's back. I expected it, I've been calling it for like six-plus months. Still sucks.

In the one playoff series he played in, he was as bad as MAF ever was in the playoffs when it comes to backbreaking goals. And yeah, "he was an All-Star!" but who gives a shit, the dude's so injury prone and inconsistent that I find it extremely hard to believe there were no other options available to the tune of handing Jarry that deal.

But it is what it is. We know what we'll be getting in goal, so there's no trepidation as to how a new guy will fit, etc.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Again, the problem with the goaltending situation this off-season was that there were no good options that the Penguins could pull off. I completely believe Dubas would have tried to trade for Ullmark with his deal left, but you can't force other teams to trade with you. If he could pull off Swayman/Ullmark or Hellebuyck, Jarry was the best option available.

I wanted to see something more like $4.5 million AAV for 5 years or $5 million AAV for 4 years, so I'm not crazy about the contract. But the fact is that Jarry is the best option available to the team right now.

Reactions: domaug and Rave7215

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
People are gonna love him. Can’t take people that only watch 1 team seriously.

Who cares if it’s 6 years, we won’t be contending anyway and he’s only 28. We’re getting an upgrade on Dumo for an 400k increase.

The big issue is Jarry.
Yeah I've never understood the term complaints. By year 3 of whatever is signed now, the Pens aren't making the playoffs. Stop worrying about it.
Getting term also means that they can trade Graves for a good return if he's reliable here. He's 28. They can definitely move him at 30 or 31.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
1 year of failing, 2 years of good play hampered by injuries. They wouldn't bet 5 years without Intel on his health. I'm not saying it's a perfect bet, but I'll take him over Korpisalo/Hill at their dollar amounts.
2021 - single handedly lost vs nyi
2022 - hurt, (a theme. Availability is an ability.)
2023 - not good enough.

build a D. Cheap out in net. Goalies are mostly flakes anyways. Jarry is a confirmed one.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Wonder if bringing back Jarry signals a decision that the trade assets needed for a goalie are going elsewhere
Helleybuck is a ufa in one year and I am not convinced Gibson is better than Jarry. I think you are right that our tradable assets are going to be spent on other positions.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Who am I kidding... this is a fantastic day for me!

ZtYOAPd.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad