Former Ducks - (2023-24 Season Edition )

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
Certainly her reaction isn't warranted (I assume she thinks that he's not), because I think it's a very good question. But I don't think Perry is a Hall of Famer. The one MVP season was great, and he had a couple of other very good seasons around that, but he only had one other season as a 1st or 2nd team postseason All Star. His late career "mentor and postseason warrior" narrative will help him, but he hasn't been better than a third line player since he was 32.

I'm a small Hall of Fame guy, so take that for what it's worth. But Perry barely misses the cut for me. I'd vote for Getzlaf before Perry, and I think Getzlaf also falls just short. All that said, I expect that both will eventually go in - the international success will help push them over the edge. It certainly wouldn't be any sort of tragedy or miscarriage of justice for Perry to be elected. I'd be happy to see him in there (although I would be a bit peeved to see him go in WITHOUT Getzlaf).
My complaint was the "roll eyes" reaction because he is definitely not a "straight up denied how could you even ask this question" type career. There is at least a discussion to be had with his international success but I admit I'm a bit of a homer. I think he gets in eventually.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
My complaint was the "roll eyes" reaction because he is definitely not a "straight up denied how could you even ask this question" type career. There is at least a discussion to be had with his international success but I admit I'm a bit of a homer. I think he gets in eventually.
Yeah, the roll eyes is definitely way too far. It's a great debate to have.

Reactions: duckaroosky

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i don't think he's first ballot, but he's for sure getting in considering he's won just about everything there is to win in NA hockey. stanley cup, memorial cup, world cup, and 2x olympic gold. and the hart and richard trophies to top it off

getting to 3 straight cup finals in recent years and putting in strong playoff performances as a role player should really help his case too

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
it was time for perry and the ducks to part ways. he looked done and the ducks were committing to the youth movement. seems like a change in scenery rejuvenated him and got him to commit to prolonging his career/winning another cup

wish he could've ended his career as a duck, but it just wasn't going to happen. still crazy to me that he ended up having a longer career than getzlaf considering his style of play

In a podcast, Getz actually said if he got traded, then that would have extended his career like Perry.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
In a podcast, Getz actually said if he got traded, then that would have extended his career like Perry.

maybe he would've played another season, but he was pretty much cooked towards the end of his last season and was struggling just to keep up

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
maybe he would've played another season, but he was pretty much cooked towards the end of his last season and was struggling just to keep up

Playing as a 1C. Would Getz be playing 1C in Vegas? Or 2C? Could Getz be 3C?

Perry wasn't playing top line minutes any longer when he was bought out for the next four seasons.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
I think its fair to say Getz could have played more than 1 more season if he changed up his role. 3rd or 4th line center, playing specialty roles, getting maybe 15 minutes instead of 19. Hes also likely to not be wearing a letter, so he would have been able to just go out and have fun.

He only looked a step behind here because he was still playing as a #1 and playing along side 21 year old high skill/speed guys. Move him to a grinder/shutdown line, they can move a bit slower, use his play making ability on the PP, but keep him off PK.

Not that it really matters. I think he made the right decision. Perry is getting paid, hes able to have been competing for the Cup, but hes also continued to fall short. There are a lot of vets out there chasing, not even coming close to what Perry has been able to do.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I feel like I've heard that statement from Getzlaf on more than one occasion. (he did two interviews on Ducks Stream during the draft where he talked about that specifically)

Look at Perry, he found his niche role as a bottom six player and has been thriving there for a while. He couldv'e thrived anywhere else. Imaging him being a third line role player on the Penguins behind Malkin and Crosby?

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I feel like I've heard that statement from Getzlaf on more than one occasion. (he did two interviews on Ducks Stream during the draft where he talked about that specifically)

Look at Perry, he found his niche role as a bottom six player and has been thriving there for a while. He couldv'e thrived anywhere else. Imaging him being a third line role player on the Penguins behind Malkin and Crosby?
Or our third line center.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
I do hope Perry comes back and signs a 1 day deal with Anaheim to retire here whenever he decides to hang em up.

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
1697659674618.png

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
No I didn't, what happened?

Reaves basically said he’s a fake tough guy and hasn’t liked him since the first time they stepped on the ice together. I didn’t look very hard but couldn’t find anything specific that happened in the game to spark the comments.

Perry is as tough as they come, but not in a I’ll fight you type of way. More in like an I’ll do whatever necessary to win type of way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad