Former Ducks - (2023-24 Season Edition )

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017
Bummer that Comtois‘ career trajectory has sunk this badly, especially since he’s one of the few guys in the range of forwards that Madden has struggled with identifying that looked like a major hit in the COVID year.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018

I certainly wasn't nearly as high on him as most here were, but even I didn't think he'd basically play himself out of the league before even turning 25.

What an abysmal draft year for us 2017 was.

1696969405090.png

Attachments

• 1696969361984.png
    1696969361984.png
    24.2 KB · Views: 6

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
I certainly wasn't nearly as high on him as most here were, but even I didn't think he'd basically play himself out of the league before even turning 25.

View attachment 750719
I think they were really high on Batherson, and would have taken him, but he got selected by Ottawa right before the Olson pick. But that's some pretty bad evaluation by the scouting staff, because they certainly could have taken him instead of Badini if they liked him rather than risking it.

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017

View attachment 750719

2014 (less so)-2017 (for all sorts of different reasons) has turned into a black hole with the exception of Terry. Hopefully, 2018 and beyond becomes the foundation for this team

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland

View attachment 750719

Bad year for Anaheim, not surprising though. Their first pick was the 50th. Hard to find talent when you get your first pick so late. And in hindsight, that draft didn't have much depth so there wasn't much to draft (yeah I know there was Batherson so don't start).

Speaking of 2017 draftees Antoine Morand continues playing in the Finnish top league and he has 3+3 in 9 games playing for the bottom-feeder team Saipa. So his stats are pretty good considering the circumstances. I would like to see him play for another team to see what he could do with better linemates. Could happen later this season.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Comer definitely has/had the potential to have a solid career. The falloff after 2021 was so strange, and nobody could figure it out over the course of 2 full seasons. He was probably the only consistent forward we had in the Covid year. It would've been interesting to see how that would pan out if Cronin were brought in a year earlier.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Comer definitely has/had the potential to have a solid career. The falloff after 2021 was so strange, and nobody could figure it out over the course of 2 full seasons. He was probably the only consistent forward we had in the Covid year. It would've been interesting to see how that would pan out if Cronin were brought in a year earlier.

Oh, they figured it out. It was Comtois' lack of discipline and motor after cashing in on his new 2-year contract. Many on this board noted how out of shape he came back in for the 2021-22 season. Comtois was benched for lack of effort.

The problem was Comtois.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
He played like he was still wearing inline skates.

Not fair since I’m obviously not “inside”, but he just looked like a coaster. Probably got by on his talent until everyone around had talent.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
It appears that he had 0 points in preseason. Better figure out how to be a grinder, or figure out how to try significantly harder, or it’s off to Europe if this is indeed his chosen career.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Oh, they figured it out. It was Comtois' lack of discipline and motor after cashing in on his new 2-year contract. Many on this board noted how out of shape he came back in for the 2021-22 season. Comtois was benched for lack of effort.

The problem was Comtois.
“Nobody” is Comtois included. And I think to lay the blame entirely on him is overly simplifying things.

Reactions: AngelDuck

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
“Nobody” is Comtois included. And I think to lay the blame entirely on him is overly simplifying things.

Guess you're still figuring it out. The Ducks and VGK already have.

Remember, Comtois lead the team in scoring in 2020-21 (COVID season).

The start of the 2021-22 season, here are youth forwards whose games improved that season and passed up Comtois: Terry, Zegras, Lundy, and Milano. Even rookie D Drysdale outperformed Comtois, doubling up Comtois' point production! Last year, Jones had his best production in a Ducks' uni (missed 2021-22 season due to injury) and was rambunctious all over the ice, despite having similar counting stats to Comtois. Rookie McTavish became our 4th best scorer with 43 points, last year to Comtois' 19 points. In the past two seasons, Fowler put up consecutive career points in his 12 and 13-year NHL career.

Hell, Steel was able to cement an NHL contract for the past two seasons despite his play falling off. Yet, Steel found a way to be a useful grinder and pretend to be Grant when called upon to play 1C from time to time with the Wild. Steel never lacked effort.

Comtois lacked effort, which is the reason he dropped in the lineup and leading to him being benched. Lack of effort is all Comtois, which can be seen physically in him being overweight and that extra weight causing him to be slow as well as be out of shape.

Maybe denial is what's preventing one from figuring it out, but the rest of the NHL already knows.

Reactions: Rybread86

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
klingberg just had a great play to prevent the Habs from clearing the puck, then getting the puck to Matthews for a game tying hat trick.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Perry with a 2 point game in his 1st game with the Blackhawks yesterday and Klingberg today with a 2 point game in his 1st game with Maple Leafs

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Not really a former Duck but Daigle was invited to the Ducks' camp back in 2021 despite the team knowing about him being likely charged for sexual assault. Him and his teammate pleaded guilty today.

JonathnTaylorTavares

Feb 4, 2019
Not really a former Duck but Daigle was invited to the Ducks' camp back in 2021 despite the team knowing about him being likely charged for sexual assault. Him and his teammate pleaded guilty today.

Edit: I’ve been drinking. Nvm

Last edited:
  • Haha

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017

I don't remember it being that cut-and-dry

1697136015016.png

ETA: this screenshot is from when the invite happened, not today

Last edited:
Reactions: Static

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007

View attachment 751872

I’ve said it before but I don’t buy it. I’m a nobody in the hockey world and I knew. I have a hard time believing that a pro team wouldn’t know. If they really didn’t, I’d say they didn’t make the effort. When the story came out it was mentioned the two players involved were 18. There were only 4 players of that age in Victoriaville.

The story came out on June 8th and Daigle was invited after the Draft on June 24th. You can at least make sure before sending out the invite.

Last edited:

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I’ve said it before but I don’t buy it. I’m a nobody in the hockey world and I knew. I have a hard time believing that a pro team wouldn’t know. If they really didn’t, I’d say they didn’t make the effort. When the story came out it was mentioned the two players involved were 18. There were only 4 players of that age in Victoriaville.

The story came out on June 8th and Daigle was invited after the Draft on June 24th. You can at least make sure before sending out the invite.
this seems like a weird thing for you dig your heels into. it's absolutely possible they didn't know, and once they did they pulled the invite. not sure why this needed to be brought up at all.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site

View attachment 751872

Half of me feels that the Ducks were right to rescinding their offer once they became aware of the allegations... but the other half me feels that people are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty (unless there is some shared irrefutable evidence, like Mailloux's text/photos). The article sounds like the evidence was known so the Ducks probably should have steered clear. There are plenty of other talents to pursue. Like an Arber Xhekaj!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad