Former Ducks - (2023-24 Season Edition )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Shame he got treated like dirt by Anaheim at the end. A far lower point then last season for me.
I don't really think that's fair. Perry admitted after being bought out that he wasn't committing to his off-season the way he should have been and we couldn't afford his cap-hit if he was going to coast.

I wish bob and he could have come to an understanding that worked out, but he wasn't bought out for no reason. Our GM cried when it happened.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
I don't really think that's fair. Perry admitted after being bought out that he wasn't committing to his off-season the way he should have been and we couldn't afford his cap-hit if he was going to coast.

I wish bob and he could have come to an understanding that worked out, but he wasn't bought out for no reason. Our GM cried when it happened.

The organization and Perry had to move on, and Perry is still probably my favorite Duck of all time.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
it was time for perry and the ducks to part ways. he looked done and the ducks were committing to the youth movement. seems like a change in scenery rejuvenated him and got him to commit to prolonging his career/winning another cup

wish he could've ended his career as a duck, but it just wasn't going to happen. still crazy to me that he ended up having a longer career than getzlaf considering his style of play

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
it was time for perry and the ducks to part ways. he looked done and the ducks were committing to the youth movement. seems like a change in scenery rejuvenated him and got him to commit to prolonging his career/winning another cup

wish he could've ended his career as a duck, but it just wasn't going to happen. still crazy to me that he ended up having a longer career than getzlaf considering his style of play

This is why I'd bring him back. He may score 20 goals this year on that Hawks' PP, but more so he's an ahole who stands up for himself typically, is in your face,etc which seems like where Cronin is trying to get this team to go to. If a Leason type could be a little agitating things like Pears it'd be gold. However, I think it's clear he wants at least another shot at the cup and we just can't provide that for him.

Last edited:

Mav1208

Mar 11, 2021
letting Perry go is one of Murray's biggest mistakes. will never convince me otherwise.
The contract for Kesler was the big problem. By Perry's last year in Anaheim he became the odd man out.

.Ducks had 3 monster contracts on the books, and needed to resign or replace a bunch of younger guys.
.Perry had surgery that year and wasn't able to do his full off-season prep, and had a bad season.
.Getzlaf was captain
.Ducks didn't have enough centers. Used a good winger as a very so/so 3rd line center
.Getzlaf and Kesler were the only players on the team who could take face offs. They were above 60%, no one else was above 42%.

In hindsight, they should have bought out Kesler instead, but no one knew how badly his body was falling apart.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Bedard was frustrated last night after ringing one off the post, he slammed his stick into the boards in frustration. Perry sat down next to him and put his arm around him on the bench

He is a hell of a veteran and everyone respects him I guarantee it

Would love for him to retire a Duck but not sure I see it happening as @Static said.

There’s 4 players in franchise history that are kind of immortal to me and they’re all forwards

Getzlaf
Selanne
Kariya
Perry

Hope some of the kids we have can join them on that list someday

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
not sure if that's cool or extremely sad considering how many of our high picks from those years ended up busting
Comtois was a 50th overall pick in weak draft. Should consider that.
Steel is at the moment in the top 20 in scoring out of that draft. Considering the Ds he is still among the top 30 out of that class.
Kase was a low pick
Larsson was considered solid but we missed some superstars (well they are now) - but so did others as well.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
The big swing and miss was Ritchie obviously. He was picked before Larkin, Fiala, and Tuch and it’s fair to be critical of it at this point.

The 2016 and 2017 drafts just weren’t very good league wide honestly. Lack of talent
2016 didn't produce anyone notable after round 1 aside from kyrou and debrincat (who were both taken after steel) 2017 was shit after the top 5

Reactions: AngelDuck

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
The big swing and miss was Ritchie obviously. He was picked before Larkin, Fiala, and Tuch and it’s fair to be critical of it at this point.

The 2016 and 2017 drafts just weren’t very good league wide honestly. Lack of talent
I remember watching video of Ritchie in junior with his size and shot from the slot thinking we just got Rick Nash-lite.

I remember being so excited after Carolina took Fleury because atleast 1 of the 3 forwards I wanted, Nylander, Ehlers, and Ritchie would be available.

Big bummer.

2016 didn't produce anyone notable after round 1 aside from kyrou and debrincat (who were both taken after steel) 2017 was shit after the top 5
Tage Thompson
Kyrou
DeBrincat
Girard
Lindgren
Hronek
Fox
Bratt

2016 was still pretty bad, but damn 2017 was bad. It has to be one of the worst drafts in terms of depth ever.

Established top 4/6 guys:
Hischier
Heiskanen
Makar
Pettersson
Necas
Suzuki
Norris
Thomas
Robertson
Batherson

Thats it, in the whole draft

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca

For someone with the twitter handle "NHLhistorygirl" this person really doesn't seem to know a lot about Perry's history.

Edit: At least she deleted it but I still got a screenshot

J1VrGZD.png

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA

For someone with the twitter handle "NHLhistorygirl" this person really doesn't seem to know a lot about Perry's history.

Edit: At least she deleted it but I still got a screenshot

J1VrGZD.png

Certainly her reaction isn't warranted (I assume she thinks that he's not), because I think it's a very good question. But I don't think Perry is a Hall of Famer. The one MVP season was great, and he had a couple of other very good seasons around that, but he only had one other season as a 1st or 2nd team postseason All Star. His late career "mentor and postseason warrior" narrative will help him, but he hasn't been better than a third line player since he was 32.

I'm a small Hall of Fame guy, so take that for what it's worth. But Perry barely misses the cut for me. I'd vote for Getzlaf before Perry, and I think Getzlaf also falls just short. All that said, I expect that both will eventually go in - the international success will help push them over the edge. It certainly wouldn't be any sort of tragedy or miscarriage of justice for Perry to be elected. I'd be happy to see him in there (although I would be a bit peeved to see him go in WITHOUT Getzlaf).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad