Former Ducks - (2023-24 Season Edition )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
I think they have 60 days to appeal (?) Not sure if that's the right word but there's still time for them to respond.

Isn't this like the Mike Richards thing? And that took over a month for the NHLPA to do something about it.
I read 60 days too.

I bet they appeal, Perry in the mean time gets a contract with another team for cheap and some resolution like Kane’s was happens to the existing contract.

Reactions: duckaroosky

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
I think they have 60 days to appeal (?) Not sure if that's the right word but there's still time for them to respond.

Isn't this like the Mike Richards thing? And that took over a month for the NHLPA to do something about it.
We'll see if that happens. Richards was a drug thing?

The thing with this situation is they were able to terminate it in the first place. So obviously the Hawks didn't think there was an issue with doing so on legal grounds, and neither did the league. Again, hopefully it's nothing awful. But there was clearly enough to say that he violated the terms of his contract. So my point remains in a general sense. People who think it was something as innocent as just being a meanie to somebody, that's not realistic. If you could terminate a contract for being a shit human, athletes would be getting dumped left and right across every sport.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai

The thing with this situation is they were able to terminate it in the first place. So obviously the Hawks didn't think there was an issue with doing so on legal grounds, and neither did the league. Again, hopefully it's nothing awful. But there was clearly enough to say that he violated the terms of his contract. So my point remains in a general sense. People who think it was something as innocent as just being a meanie to somebody, that's not realistic. If you could terminate a contract for being a shit human, athletes would be getting dumped left and right across every sport.
And not for nothing, Pears put out a statement about wanting privacy for himself and his family, which is not exactly a "look at how badly I'm being screwed" sort of statement.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
if the incident happened at a team function and no hawks players, their families, or police are involved, then there are really only a couple not so hard to figure out options of what likely took place

the fact that they straight up terminated his contract is still pretty crazy though

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca

I don't trust anything the Hawks or the NHL conclude in regards to the law or just general decision making.

I'm not trying to defend Perry because obviously I have no idea what is going on like the rest of us (please don't be a race or sexual harassment thing) but I'm not going to condemn him either. I'm firmly on the fence playing devil's advocate for both sides.

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Is that not the typical PR placeholder one uses until they get all their legal ducks in a row?
Typical? No I wouldn't say so. Typically they follow some kind of tragedy. I don't really remember a plea for privacy while people figure out their legal options. But I guess it could still be an antecedent to a legal battle following having done something that might really embarrass your family.

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
Typical? No I wouldn't say so. Typically they follow some kind of tragedy. I don't really remember a plea for privacy while people figure out their legal options. But I guess it could still be an antecedent to a legal battle following having done something that might really embarrass your family.
I'll take your word for it. I hope to never have to know anything about PR crisis management. But I would just assume it would be advised to Perry not to start badmouthing the Hawks in the presss and saying he's gonna sue the pants off of them until his legal team and the NHLPA have all the information. So he just says some vague "we request privacy at this time".

Eventually, all will get out.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I'll take your word for it. I hope to never have to know anything about PR crisis management. But I would just assume it would be advised to Perry not to start badmouthing the Hawks in the presss and saying he's gonna sue the pants off of them until his legal team and the NHLPA have all the information. So he just says some vague "we request privacy at this time".

Eventually, all will get out.
Maybe! If it were me and there's nothing to be embarrassed about, my advice would have been just to say something more along the lines of "we're looking into our options and we'll have more to say later" rather than "leave me and my family alone!"

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
Maybe! If it were me and there's nothing to be embarrassed about, my advice would have been just to say something more along the lines of "we're looking into our options and we'll have more to say later" rather than "leave me and my family alone!"
thats-damn-good-thats-good.gif

Well, I know who I'm calling when an incriminating video gets released of me.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Funny how when it's someone we like, people start to run interference and try to minimize the situation. If Perry wasn't a Duck legend, I'd be reading about how he should be banned for life from the NHL. Be consistent, people.

Reactions: Dr Johnny Fever

GermanRocket7

Make Bettman irrelevant again
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
Since it's all just speculation, here's my take:

Judging by the wording in all publicly available statements, it very much sounds like something sexual might have been the cause. We also now "know", that it had something to do with a staff member and that he was with he team when the incident occurred.

All this leads me to believe, that he got jiggy with a female staff member (and probably even bragged about it afterwards to someone within the org) despite being married an that the Blackhawks saw this as grounds for terminating the contract, as they want to show how much "they care" and "have changed" as an organization. You know, it sends a powerful message, if your media spin doctors present you as the good guy, and could ultimately be seen as cleaning up after the utter mess the org left behind.

Again, just my two cents and feel free to call me out for it if you want.

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
Funny how when it's someone we like, people start to run interference and try to minimize the situation. If Perry wasn't a Duck legend, I'd be reading about how he should be banned for life from the NHL. Be consistent, people.
If he was with any other team besides the Blackhawks, then I don’t think we would minimize it.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If the thing he did was not family related or illegal, and something stupid, I’d take him back on the Ducks in a heartbeat.

Listen we all do stupid things from time to time, myself included. So I hope this is not the end for Perry. He still has a lot to give on the ice.

DarthYenik

Sep 15, 2011
California
Funny how people just make up things and pass them off as rumors and some people believe them and base their opinions on that and say he should be banned for life from the NHL before actually knowing what went down. Sadly THAT IS a consistent human trait. I’ll gladly condemn him when we find out he did something condemnable, but right now it’s all conflicting rumors and statements from the extremely reliable (hard sarcasm) Chicago front office.

Reactions: Deuce22

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
The Hawks have certainly gone out of their way to make this sound like a very serious issue they have so responsibly handled. Even more serious than the sexual assaults they covered up, which had legal ramifications that they chose to ignore. They let a sexual predator quietly resign while receiving a bonus and putting his name on the Stanley Cup.

So while I’m not giving Perry a pass on any possible misconduct, I’m going to need more to go on before I just accept the word of such a horseshit organization on just what constitutes a crime worthy of the punishment just handed out.

That said, people should stop twisting themselves in knots trying to make a plausible defense for Perry. Let's just see where all this goes and then decide.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
It doesn't help to speculate and eventually it will probably come out. If the NHLPA decides to appeal, it most likely will.

Perry has usefulness to some team and if he is picked up at the minimum, the misconduct is probably not considered a liability to the signing team's image.

The only thing that raises a possible eyebrow on the Blackhawks' motives is the instant Beauvillier trade. Not that the Blackhawks have cap concerns, but eliminating $4M and adding $4.15M makes the overall math a wash. If the Perry incident was going to drag on, they obviously had conversations with the Canucks before Tuesday and getting a viable replacement might have made cutting ties with Perry easier

I've always liked Beauvillier, and a 5th is basically nothing for a potential 40 point player. It's not like we don't have a 5th rounder that we hope turns the year around.

John

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
The Hawks have certainly gone out of their way to make this sound like a very serious issue they have so responsibly handled. Even more serious than the sexual assaults they covered up, which had legal ramifications that they chose to ignore. They let a sexual predator quietly resign while receiving a bonus and putting his name on the Stanley Cup.

So while I’m not giving Perry a pass on any possible misconduct, I’m going to need more to go on before I just accept the word of such a horseshit organization on just what constitutes a crime worthy of the punishment just handed out.

That said, people should stop twisting themselves in knots trying to make a plausible defense for Perry. Let's just see where all this goes and then decide.
i really haven't seen anyone going out of their way to defend perry. not really possible to do anyways considering we don't know what he did

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Do these people who post these things (about Chelios’ daughter) even bother to check anything? She’s posted on IG regularly since then, and as recently as today.

It’s like anything else today… better to try and be “first” than accurate.

Reactions: DarthYenik
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad