Former Canucks Thread 2023-24 Off-Season Edition

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Honestly, I think that one might be it when you consider that it’s in context of Brandon Sutter coming in to alleviate Horvat of having to generate offense.
They dealt primarily an offensive center in Bonino for defensive center Sutter. Same Bonino who at seemed to show some kind of chemistry with Vrbata whenever they were on the same line. Willie should've told Jethro wtf are you doing?

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
They dealt primarily an offensive center in Bonino for defensive center Sutter. Same Bonino who at seemed to show some kind of chemistry with Vrbata whenever they were on the same line. Willie should've told Jethro wtf are you doing?

Has there ever been any indication that WD didn’t think this was a real good move?

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Just seemed to go against logic about not wanting to put too much pressure on a future major piece/ member to have to be more offensive when you weaken the team in that department (going from Bonino to Sutter).

Sutter did 20 goals Bonino only did 15 and Sutter skate fast zoom

David Bruce Banner

Acid Raven Bed Burn
Mar 25, 2008
Waaaaay over there
Bonino disappeared in the 2015 playoffs, so I understand to some extent, why they moved on from him. I think current management would have shipped him out too. Replacing him with Sutter wasn't necessarily a bad idea either. Sutter was totally ill-suited for the role they had in mind for him, though. And signing him to a big contract before he'd done anything at all was laughably stupid..

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Bonino disappeared in the 2015 playoffs, so I understand to some extent, why they moved on from him. I think current management would have shipped him out too. Replacing him with Sutter wasn't necessarily a bad idea either. Sutter was totally ill-suited for the role they had in mind for him, though. And signing him to a big contract before he'd done anything at all was laughably stupid..

Beating a dead horse (which I can't seem to resist) but ya. People forget how slow Bonino looked in series against Calgary. It probably wasn't his fault in hindsight but he didn't do anything to help. Bonino also had a terrible start to his Penguins career before Kessel was put on his line.

As for Sutter, I don't think you can say he was ill-suited for the role they had in mind for him given that management and Willie had different ideas. I think management thought they were getting a durable player who can handle the tough defensive matchups while also having some offensive upside. It didn't work out that way. I never understood the contract signing criticism. It's routine to acquire a pending UFA and sign him to an extension. It's not like the guy was unproven as a 3C. He was making $3.3M before the extension. Keep in mind that Sutter was the roster player the Gillis' Canucks targeted in the Kesler trade so the Canucks pro scouting staff has liked Sutter for a while. Outside of a rental situation, I would expect our team spending significant assets to acquire a pending UFA to try and negotiate an extension.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Tanner Pearson nets a PTO with the Knights.....I'd be surprised if there's a place for him, but then Vegas is my pick to start sliding backward in the Pacific. Too many veteran players who are aging out; and nothing in the pipeline thanks to all the splashy deals for guys to help them win 'now'.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Beating a dead horse (which I can't seem to resist) but ya. People forget how slow Bonino looked in series against Calgary. It probably wasn't his fault in hindsight but he didn't do anything to help. Bonino also had a terrible start to his Penguins career before Kessel was put on his line.

As for Sutter, I don't think you can say he was ill-suited for the role they had in mind for him given that management and Willie had different ideas. I think management thought they were getting a durable player who can handle the tough defensive matchups while also having some offensive upside. It didn't work out that way. I never understood the contract signing criticism. It's routine to acquire a pending UFA and sign him to an extension. It's not like the guy was unproven as a 3C. He was making $3.3M before the extension. Keep in mind that Sutter was the roster player the Gillis' Canucks targeted in the Kesler trade so the Canucks pro scouting staff has liked Sutter for a while. Outside of a rental situation, I would expect our team spending significant assets to acquire a pending UFA to try and negotiate an extension.
He eventually became a pretty solid defensive center for us (not sure why Willie didn't use him that role immediately & hand that task to Horvat who never was a defensive stalwart. Good thing Willie leave him with the Sedins for the entire season). Especially since Sutter was a veteran player & Horvat was I think just a sophmore). After him being knocked out of commission (pandemic), his defensive skills were never replaced for a while.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I just learned something surprising from a Youtube video… the fastest speed a hockey player has ever been clocked at in-game (41.32 km/h) is by… Ronalds Kenins. 🤯

McDavid’s top recorded speed is 40.9 km/h.
1725293916963.png

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Vladimir Bure, who was a fairly household name for Canuck fans in the 1990s, has died of a heart attack aged 73.

Won a Stanley Cup as a fitness consultant for the Devils in 2003.

Not sure if he and Pavel were still estranged.

• Wow
Reactions: racerjoe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad