Prospect Info: 15th Overall, Michael Brandsegg-Nygaard

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Hey guys,

Not sure if you saw a post I made over on the Prospects board here - but I put together a video on Michael Brandsegg-Nygard and came away very pleasantly surprised (I'm mostly a USHL guy, so he's out of my normal sight line). I didn't want to step all over the live viewing stuff that was going on, but if you're interested, here it is...

Nice video and breakdowns . Pretty excited for him in the forward mix. Think we have some really unique prospects with some big time skill sets that fly under the radar around the league.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Did you actually watch the game? Sounds like you were forming your opinion off a boxscore.
It's super, super funny how there's finally a game where MBN doesn't score and the negative comments come pouring out lol.

I was there, so yes I did watch the game. You misunderstand, I'm not negative about MBN at all. He has the potential to become a really good player for Detroit, and he's working so hard to achieve that goal. This game just wasn't one of his best, took a couple of dumb penalties and made his coach a little frustrated. But it's typical at that age, they tend to lose it a little in these important games.

I've been around the Norwegian hockey community for a while, also met MBN. The kid has a great personality and conducts himself like a pro already.

Murmansk16A

Apr 29, 2022
Hey guys,

Not sure if you saw a post I made over on the Prospects board here - but I put together a video on Michael Brandsegg-Nygard and came away very pleasantly surprised (I'm mostly a USHL guy, so he's out of my normal sight line). I didn't want to step all over the live viewing stuff that was going on, but if you're interested, here it is...

Not too high on Axel Sandin-Pellikka, it seems.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Not too high on Axel Sandin-Pellikka, it seems.
Haha definitely caught some strays at the end there.

As someone kind of in the middle on ASP, I’d really like to hear why he dislikes him so much, especially as someone that says he loves small d men

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Interesting MBN interview a few days ago, he fully expects to go back to Sweden after Detroit's camp. I'll leave a link to the interview, but it's not in English. I'll translate the important stuff...

MBN: "We just have to continue training and work hard, develope as much as possible, then I think we'll reach that level eventually. We're not quite there yet, but hopefully one day we'll make it over there in the NHL, and do well."

He keeps talking for both himself and his buddy, but personally I think MBN is closer. I'm not sure why Detroit wants him in camp if he thinks he needs to play in Sweden for a while.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Interesting MBN interview a few days ago, he fully expects to go back to Sweden after Detroit's camp. I'll leave a link to the interview, but it's not in English. I'll translate the important stuff...

MBN: "We just have to continue training and work hard, develope as much as possible, then I think we'll reach that level eventually. We're not quite there yet, but hopefully one day we'll make it over there in the NHL, and do well."

He keeps talking for both himself and his buddy, but personally I think MBN is closer. I'm not sure why Detroit wants him in camp if he thinks he needs to play in Sweden for a while.
Thanks for sharing!

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
I'm not sure why Detroit wants him in camp if he thinks he needs to play in Sweden for a while.
I think it is a little bit of "janteloven" to take some pressure off himself. We've seen what he can do against men on the national team.

I am curious to see what he can do against NHL players, and Yzerman probably is too. Will he make the roster out of camp? Not very likely, but there is an outside chance.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
That camp invite is a good tool to build a comparison platform. For future years, we'll get an example of MBN, where he is going now at certain age and where is he at future. Then we can use that experiment as the model for other prospect decisions.

As I told earlier, Skellefteå has to travel quite much at CHL road games anyways, at same time as he would travel to Detroit, so maybe that is also a smalla factor. If he has to travel anyways, come to Detroit instead for a moment.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS

I suspect the brass feels he may be more ready than he thinks and they may want to fortify his confidence, he seems to say the things that will be where he lands, rather than set lofty expectations and be disappointed.

I suspect he will end up where he thinks it is best for the year when the time comes, unless he has a camp that blows everyone away.

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016

There's multiple reasons for that.
A. Detroit wants to see where he's at developmentally vs. other prospects and NHL players
B. It shows MBN where he is at and what he will need to improve on and practice for next year if he does go back to Sweden.

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
I think Grand Rapids is the most likely spot. Yzerman had those Norfolk and Syracuse teams that won a championship and it was that young future Tampa core that played and won together in the AHL. He may want to build that type of bond this year in GR with Danielson, Kasper, MBN, Mazur etc etc

Last edited:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
clearly he's the new Zadina

sorry I don't make the rules, there has to be one and the old one is gone

• Love
Reactions: Realgud

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
David Pastrnak: Prospect Profile for Boston Bruins' 1st-Round Pick

There’s a draft profile of Pasta.

Pasternak is a flashy, electrifying offensive talent with gifted hands and shiftiness in his feet. He also has a bullet shot and is a very dangerous finisher. He uses quickness and good lateral elusiveness to avoid bigger opponents.

Pastrnak is an exciting offensive player hailing from the Czech Republic who has flair and loves to be dangerous. He thrives in situations where he can carry the puck and dish it off when he feels fit. Also tends to be strongest when incorporating an east-west game while on the attack. In the offensive zone, he does like to lug the puck and fake passes and shots while searching for just the right moment to make the killer play.

Other than the bullet of a shot and good finisher, there is not really any similarity.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
To me, MBN is like a Laine/Stone crossover in many ways. If he turns out to be Stone minus all the injuries, we've struck gold

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad