Will 2024 be Connor McDavid's best ever playoff run statistically? Or will he surpass 42 points in the future?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Connor McDavid's 2024 playoff run of 42 points be the best of his career statistically?

• No - McDavid will match/surpass 42 points at least 3 more times in his career

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Connor McDavid just had a spectacular playoff run last year.

42 points, 34 assists (all-time record) in 25 games. As we all know - Oilers lost the cup in 7, but he did win the Conn Smythe. He's only the 3rd player ever to surpass 40 points in a playoff run after Gretzky & Lemieux. But can he do it again?

So the question is - will McDavid ever again match/surpass 42 points in a single playoff run, or is that the best he'll ever do? And if he does surpass it, will it be just once, or multiple times?

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
It obviously won't be easy to match or surpass 42 points. I wouldn't bet on it happening. But I definitely wouldn't rule it out.

I expect him to have another deep run soon (next year or the year after) and he think he'll win a Cup eventually. I say he puts up something like 13 goals, 25 assists in his next big playoff run.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I would say probably, but never say never. Connor is still Connor and if anyone is going to beat 42 he’s still the bet to do it for several years on from here.

To me, the bigger issue is not about but just if the Oilers can get back to the cup finals or not. Because if they do, the points for 97 will be there I’m sure. Gonna need to go just as far to have a shot though.

Reactions: Coffees

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
He can likely do it again but I doubt he gets an easier path to the finals than he did this past season

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
It's hard to doubt him...but it's tough to top 42 points. I could see him having "better" playoff runs (like having nearly as many points but more goals and the Oilers winning) but from a purely statistical, point total angle, I doubt he tops 42.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think he’ll win the cup at some point soon and I think he’ll come close or beat it as long as scoring doesn’t dry up again. I’m gonna say he has a 45 point year that would be the 2nd highest ever

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
In all likelihood he doesn't best 42. And that's probably a good thing. If they go to the finals without needing him to break all time records that's a better sign that they can get the job done.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Can’t bet against a guy who lifts his game another notch come playoff time. Assuming he comes in strong and remains healthy, I think we’ll see something like 18 goals and 44 points when he hoists the Cup at the end of the 2025 playoffs.

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
It's hard to doubt him...but it's tough to top 42 points. I could see him having "better" playoff runs (like having nearly as many points but more goals and the Oilers winning) but from a purely statistical, point total angle, I doubt he tops 42.

I was going to try and account for such a scenario in the poll options, but I figured it's too complicated and just left the question strictly as will he ever score more points.

Because you're right - it's possible that he has a playoff performance that is deemed better than 2024 yet with less total points. Either because he has more goals, less games played, better all around, etc.

Reactions: WillardJFredricks

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
He’s winning a Cup with 50 points in the next two years
I dont think the oilers will need/give that much room for Mcdavid to create

Savoie + Skinner + Kane(healthy) + Ardvidsson will spread talent and be able to produce taking the burden off of Mcdavid

I Do think its likely oilers win a cup in next 2 years, but I see it being like Avs 2022 where a lot of guys produced and not just a few. Mcdavid likely 5-6 pts ahead of Draisaitl with a 35-40 pt run

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

ijuka

May 14, 2016
would require the perfect playoff run. the team nmeeds to be good enough for finals, but not so good that every round is a stomp. And even then, he needs to have amazing playoffs.

If I had to bet, I'd say no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad