Prospect Info: Oilers Rookie at the Penticton Young Stars Classic

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
You created your account Aug 20th, ya your definitely from the lower mainland.
Something tells me bleatbloop really is three on zeros second profile....

I could be wrong... but man it's so eerily familiar dont you think....😄

Hate posting on the Oilers constantly, instigating, haha

Hopefully. That's easy to check for a mod and means one less clown on HF.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
He sounds too much like he’s from the Woodcroft mold to me. Lots of fancy verbiage but not sure on the substance.
Hes lineup for his first 2 games should have been geared towards running Savoie, and Reilly as much as he could and every situation to see what they got. Instead all I see is rolling line changes every 30 seconds. Even on the PP. Savoie should literally really play the entire PP at this level to get him confident and going early. He is the lead architect of our future that will supplement McDrai. No rhythm, no intensity. I see a pretender coach.

Reactions: jukon

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
Hes lineup for his first 2 games should have been geared towards running Savoie, and Reilly as much as he could and every situation to see what they got. Instead all I see is rolling line changes every 30 seconds. Even on the PP. Savoie should literally really play the entire PP at this level to get him confident and going early. He is the lead architect of our future that will supplement McDrai. No rhythm, no intensity. I see a pretender coach.
I'm ok with keeping his minutes down here, I don't want to see him getting hurt from some no-name looking to make a name for himself.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
We used to dominate the tournament because we had a litany of high end prospects who eventually went to the NHL and dominated/fit in.

Let me make it clear, I don't care at all if we're winning or losing games in the tournament. I'm watching the players play the sport on the ice, and not a single one of them in either game has had a shift of dominance where you'd think they should be playing above the level they're at (college/minor league/junior).

For a lot of these guys they're in their third/fourth prospect camps and should be dominating at this point if they actually have a shot of making the league as a regular player. It isn't happening. And I'll reiterate that for someone like O'Reilly, this being his first camp and a late first rounder, of course we give him some leeway.

Past him, none of the players on our tournament roster have a chance at making the league. The two guys who stood out last year (and no-one else) were Broberg and Holloway. Both of them were miles ahead of the competition and ended up playing meaningful playoff games for us in the SCF.

Nobody even comes close to sniffing their jockstraps in our prospect pool at the moment past POTENTIALLY O'Reilly, Rodrigue, and Akey.

Petrov will never play, Savoie will never play, Lavoie will never play, etc etc. These guys fit right in with the Bourgaults, Maksimovs, Safins, Bensons, Yakimovs, Zharkovs, Morozs, Gernats, Musils, Abneys, etc. Tweeners who realistically had no shot.

Seriously? Is this your alt for trolling us, but you're really a 'Nucks fan?

uEVNW4.gif

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I find it funny that people are ripping Savoie for not being physical enough, etc. At his size he doesn't need to play like prime Mike Grier or Ethan Moreau. He is strong on his stick, quick, skilled and has a high hockey IQ. Comparing him to Yamamoto who tries to play the same game as Zach Hyman while being 50+ lbs. lighter is ridiculous. We have guys to dig out pucks and crash the net, Savoie is there to provide offense and excellent PKing.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'd also like to add that O'Reilly is a solid prospect. Good size, defensive awareness, passing and grit.

Nicholl also looks like a player. It will be interesting to see what kind of a role he gets in London this season.

Wanner has the physical tools but needs to really tighten up his game and improve his passing out of his zone.

Clattenburg is as advertised and a potential Kane replacement with likely far less offense down the line. I wonder if he can be our Lawson Crouse or Tanner Jeannot?

Both goalies did all that you could ask of them as well.

Petrov and Grubbe need to show better than this going forward as they are no longer teenagers.

Last edited:

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I'd also like to add that O'Reilly is a solid prospect. Good size, defensive awareness, passing and grit.

Nicholl also looks like a player. It will be interesting to see what kind of a role he gets in London this season.

Wanner has the physical tools but needs to really tighten up his game and improve his passing out of his zone.

Clattenburg is as advertised and a potential Kane replacement with likely far less offense down the line. I wonder if he can be our Lawson Crouse or Tanner Jeannot?

Petrov and Grubbe need to show better than this going forward as they are no longer teenagers.
I'm very surprised at how much Nicholl has already shown. I think he may get second line minutes this year. He was 4th line all year last season which is why he fell so far and because of his size

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'm very surprised at how much Nicholl has already shown. I think he may get second line minutes this year. He was 4th line all year last season which is why he fell so far and because of his size
In the draft threads I said that I really liked what I saw of him skill wise. Hopefully he keeps getting bigger, stronger and faster. What surprised me is how high his hockey and specifically his defensive IQ was. Here's to hoping for a big year from him in London.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I find it funny that people are ripping Savoie for not being physical enough, etc. At his size he doesn't need to play like prime Mike Grier or Ethan Moreau. He is strong on his stick, quick, skilled and has a high hockey IQ. Comparing him to Yamamoto who tries to play the same game as Zach Hyman while being 50+ lbs. lighter is ridiculous. We have guys to dig out pucks and crash the net, Savoie is there to provide offense and excellent PKing.

If we are looking to Savoie for physical play? We are fooked. That is not in his tool case. Speed and scoring yes--but being a banger? Nope

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Clattenburg is a long term prospect. It will come down to if he gets developed properly

this is what concerns me

Edmonton announced a rather surprising selection with their 160th overall, fifth round pick, Connor Clattenburg. The reason for him being a surprising pick is because he’s an overage draft-eligible and not one single public scouting agency had him ranked. Not even NHL Central Scouting.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Oiler fans know how good this guy is and can be and are simply analyzing him critically, Then you have the creepers who swing by here from the Mains.. because the Oilers sent their team golfing. Starting threads on the mains after 1 rookie game. The usual rent free. Savoie hitting big would melt these guys. rivals cant stand a Hometown star. Hope Savoie comes through

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
We used to dominate the tournament because we had a litany of high end prospects who eventually went to the NHL and dominated/fit in.

Let me make it clear, I don't care at all if we're winning or losing games in the tournament. I'm watching the players play the sport on the ice, and not a single one of them in either game has had a shift of dominance where you'd think they should be playing above the level they're at (college/minor league/junior).

For a lot of these guys they're in their third/fourth prospect camps and should be dominating at this point if they actually have a shot of making the league as a regular player. It isn't happening. And I'll reiterate that for someone like O'Reilly, this being his first camp and a late first rounder, of course we give him some leeway.

Past him, none of the players on our tournament roster have a chance at making the league. The two guys who stood out last year (and no-one else) were Broberg and Holloway. Both of them were miles ahead of the competition and ended up playing meaningful playoff games for us in the SCF.

Nobody even comes close to sniffing their jockstraps in our prospect pool at the moment past POTENTIALLY O'Reilly, Rodrigue, and Akey.

Petrov will never play, Savoie will never play, Lavoie will never play, etc etc. These guys fit right in with the Bourgaults, Maksimovs, Safins, Bensons, Yakimovs, Zharkovs, Morozs, Gernats, Musils, Abneys, etc. Tweeners who realistically had no shot.

I find it interesting that someone who is fairly new here figured out how make sure we can not search his previous posts. Usually takes people 1 year to figure that out

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Honestly, going o
Clattenburg is a long term prospect. It will come down to if he gets developed properly

this is what concerns me

Edmonton announced a rather surprising selection with their 160th overall, fifth round pick, Connor Clattenburg. The reason for him being a surprising pick is because he’s an overage draft-eligible and not one single public scouting agency had him ranked. Not even NHL Central Scouting.
Honestly, going off the board with a 5th round pick is fine with me. You already have about 10% or less chance to find an NHL'er. If there is a kid that you really like for some reason that seems to fit the mold of what your team needs then go for it.

In this case, the Oilers may recognize that cheap bottom 6 guys will be useful. And in fact most forwards drafted in the 5th round become bottom sixers if they do make the show. (There are currently 8 active forwards drafted in the 5th round who have regularly played in the top 6 and one of them is Zach Hyman.) Clattenburg has a game that suits that role better than some of the small skilled guys who might be still around. The Islanders took Matt Martin in the 5th in 2008. He had better box scores than Clattenburg but with similar characteristics. If you ended up with a Matt Martin on your 4th line you would be happy. If he never makes it then you pretty much get what you expect out of a 5th.

Nicholl in contrast has some skill. He was buried on a very deep Knights team that produces a lot of NHL players. But he also plays a style that is more suited to the bottom six than some.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Honestly, going o

Honestly, going off the board with a 5th round pick is fine with me. You already have about 10% or less chance to find an NHL'er. If there is a kid that you really like for some reason that seems to fit the mold of what your team needs then go for it.

In this case, the Oilers may recognize that cheap bottom 6 guys will be useful. And in fact most forwards drafted in the 5th round become bottom sixers if they do make the show. (There are currently 8 active forwards drafted in the 5th round who have regularly played in the top 6 and one of them is Zach Hyman.) Clattenburg has a game that suits that role better than some of the small skilled guys who might be still around. The Islanders took Matt Martin in the 5th in 2008. He had better box scores than Clattenburg but with similar characteristics. If you ended up with a Matt Martin on your 4th line you would be happy. If he never makes it then you pretty much get what you expect out of a 5th.

Nicholl in contrast has some skill. He was buried on a very deep Knights team that produces a lot of NHL players. But he also plays a style that is more suited to the bottom six than some.
I have no problem with it, I was putting context and perspective on the pick and am not sure who in the media suggested he could be Kanes replacement.

He is a project who we should put no expectations on at this point in time

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I have no problem with it, I was putting context and perspective on the pick and am not sure who in the media suggested he could be Kanes replacement.

He is a project who we should put no expectations on at this point in time
I think the only reasonable way to interpret that statement is that he could replace Kane's role as a fighter and some of his physical game. Kane was a 4th overall pick and is third in his draft year in goals. NO chance that Clattenburg replaces Kane's skill.

Reactions: Giggleplex

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Savoie puts up the same numbers Yamamoto did in the same league, playing a similar game -- Yamo was far more physical as well and despite playing with the best players on earth couldn't produce at aa level good enough to stick in the NHL. Now on a PTO at age 25 after playing most seasons injured from being too small and slow.
All you have to do is actually read the stats to know this isn't true.

Yamamoto in his final WHL season - 21 goals, 64 points in 40 games with 4 points in 7 playoff games
Savoie in his final WHL season - 19 goals, 47 points in 23 games with 24 points in 19 playoff games then went PPG in a small AHL sample size.
Yamamoto was barely over .5 GPG and 1.5 PPG while Savoie was near a GPG and over 2 PPG with much better playoff production. Just read the stats, it's simple.
Granted, Savoie has the earlier birthday so he was a little older than Yama in their final junior season but the point remains.

Also, they do not play a similar game. Yamamoto plays like a grinder, Savoie is more of a pure skill guy. I liked Yamamoto coming into the league but you can see that he wouldn't last long playing that style of game at that size.
Oh and they are NOT the same size. Savoie is like 25 pounds heavier, you can see how much thicker he is visually. All it takes, again, is simple reading and using your eyes.

I don't know what Savoie's future holds but he has more pure skill than Yamamoto and skates better IMO so I think there's more of a path to him being a better pro. Time will tell but to write him off is stupid to be quite honest.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad