Former Canucks Thread 2023-24 Off-Season Edition

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
all i’ll say is, until i hear a plausible explanation from rutherford about why he traded jeff brown the same day he brought in mclean, i have been given no good reason to consider the rumour debunked

Last edited:
Reactions: Vector and pitseleh

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver

Welcome to the Hall of Fame, you traitor!
edit: hmmm, both a former Canuck and a Blazer. How many of those were there?
You might as well shut down the hall if you're going to include this shitstain. Openly caught influencing games for his kid and hasn't done a single thing of note to improve the game.

Horrible hockey player, horrible executive, horrible person.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
For people who are too young, the reason that the McLean/Brown rumours were so salacious was that Leslie McLean was a very prominent figure around the team in the 1990-95 period. She was heavily involved in both the telethon and the Canuck Place stuff at the time and was on TV in intermission bits quite regularly, and was probably the most prominent Canuck spouse that I can ever remember. And then when this pretty, perky, girl-next-door type was suddenly getting divorced from McLean and there were rumours she was banging his teammates it was like 'whoa!'
OK, am I crazy? I remember her being one of the less "hockey WAG" looking ones? Brunette and more mature-looking, from what I recall.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
OK, am I crazy? I remember her being one of the less "hockey WAG" looking ones? Brunette and more mature-looking, from what I recall.

Yeah, brunette, and 'girl next door' to me is the opposite of your typical blonde WAG. She was brunette, pretty and personable - mature in her dress/manner but I wouldn't say she was 'mature-looking'. Big time 'good girl' high achiever sort of vibes.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
boo, i am 15 minutes into the podcast and it’s just been revealed that we are not hearing from the mclean ex-wife who he was married to in 94

now i vaguely remember reading this story about this woman some years ago. i feel bad for her but def feel clickbaited a second time.

edit: wait, now the 94 ex-wife is speaking. ok let’s see where this is going…
So I just listened too and... the whole thing is kind of set up on a straw man? The opening both made it sound like McLean's second wife was married to him at the time (which makes no sense to those of us who were around), and also spins a tale of contrast between 1993-94 and 1994-95 that has no basis in reality (only to deconstruct it later... but it's not deconstructing something that anyone ever believed).

McLean's real dropoff was in 1995-96, not the lockout-shortened 1994-95 season (and it was during 1996 that the rumors first took hold because he actually was divorcing his first wife). The team had an almost identical winning percentage in the two seasons being compared – nobody ever had an idea that "they were amazing in 1994, but horrible in 1995". If anything, the 93-94 season was a huge dropoff from 1992-93. Hell, even their narrative of Game 7 of the Cup Final was made up (making it sound like the Rangers broke a 2-2 tie to win).

They sheepishly come around to admitting that this comparison is false later... with McLean even misremembering that they made it to the 3rd round again (but it was the 2nd). In other words, the podcast was making up a pretty weird narrative to spin out of nothing.

On that topic, I've never heard anyone suggest that McLean's second wife was involved (how does that make any sense?!) So I both feel bad for this woman who has been plagued by it, but am also confused what space-time continuum people are living in... I assume It must arise with people who have no recollection of the actual time period. But that said, all she would have to say is "Kirk and I got married in 1997, you must be mistaken."

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
So I just listened too and... the whole thing is kind of set up on a straw man? The opening both made it sound like McLean's second wife was married to him at the time (which makes no sense to those of us who were around), and also spins a tale of contrast between 1993-94 and 1994-95 that has no basis in reality (only to deconstruct it later... but it's not deconstructing something that anyone ever believed).

McLean's real dropoff was in 1995-96, not the lockout-shortened 1994-95 season (and it was during 1996 that the rumors first took hold because he actually was divorcing his first wife). The team had an almost identical winning percentage in the two seasons being compared – nobody ever had an idea that "they were amazing in 1994, but horrible in 1995". If anything, the 93-94 season was a huge dropoff from 1992-93. Hell, even their narrative of Game 7 of the Cup Final was made up (making it sound like the Rangers broke a 2-2 tie to win).

They sheepishly come around to admitting that this comparison is false later... with McLean even misremembering that they made it to the 3rd round again (but it was the 2nd). In other words, the podcast was making up a pretty weird narrative to spin out of nothing.

On that topic, I've never heard anyone suggest that McLean's second wife was involved (how does that make any sense?!) So I both feel bad for this woman who has been plagued by it, but am also confused what space-time continuum people are living in... I assume It must arise with people who have no recollection of the actual time period. But that said, all she would have to say is "Kirk and I got married in 1997, you must be mistaken."
Newsflash...it was George Costanza that had sex with McLean's wife.

• Haha
Reactions: Jyrki21

Big zZz

May 13, 2024
Honestly I would consider taking another flyer on him at a cheaper contract with this coaching staff
Idk I feel like he was a dick when he was here. Playing charity ball game sin Vegas and I think I remember him kicking some dirt on the franchise when he left.

If we're going bargain bin hunting for a rhd, I'd rather go get boqvist.

Reactions: calnuck

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA
Idk I feel like he was a dick when he was here. Playing charity ball game sin Vegas and I think I remember him kicking some dirt on the franchise when he left.

If we're going bargain bin hunting for a rhd, I'd rather go get boqvist.
I might agree but if Boqvist can't stay healthy in Columbus then he's going to probably be Robocop by the time he's done here in Vancouver

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Well, OEL came out ahead from his buyout. Was due $29.5 mill and got $19.67 mill of it. Just under $10 mill to earn over the 4 years left on his deal to be even. $2.25 mill in FLA and now $3.5 mill AAV over 4 years, so subtract 1 year and that is $10.5 mill to the $2.25 mill and he got $12.75 mill. So, ahead by $2.8 mill plus and now got an extra year as well.

Zadorov 6 years at $5 mill per. Lindholm, 7 years at $7.75 mill per.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Jalen Chatfield-- a player who has exceeded my low expectations from when I watched him in Utica and Vancouver-- got $3M x 3 with a full NMC in the first two seasons to stay with Carolina. Good for him; he worked hard and it paid off.
Hockey is no different than any job in that some people will not flourish in every company they are a part of. Different role, manager, colleagues, etc. play a part in it. Especially for the younger people. Some companies there are mentors and people to ask for help to develop you. Others, maybe it's too much work and there is no time or the people are just not interested in helping someone.

I think too many believe that any and all former Canucks who make it elsewhere would certainly have done so here with simply more time or opportunity. Completely leaving out coaching.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad