Proposal: For sale: NHL ready (or close) forwards

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I honestly think that most these guys aren't available. I think guys like Burmistrov Stafford even thorburn Postma Chiarot are tho. I just don't see the jets giving up guys they either just aquired or guys who have yet to play a full season of pro yet. They have an ahl team to roster also.

I'd suspect the only guys who are available are indeed Burmi Stafford Thorburn Peluso Postma Chiarot.

I think if you want one of the young guys... you gonna have to give up an equal player in terms of age and rfa or elc status.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Yeah, I figured Slavin would be off limits for now. Or at least too expensive.

We don't necessarily need anyone who's ready now. The right "schedule" would be to the prospect to play in the juniors/AHL for this year, then be ready to challenge for a spot in the NHL next year, and, if everything's going good, make the jump the year after, when Stuart and Enstrom are leaving. If we're using, say Fleury as an example...

16-17: first year in the AHL, so playing against men with the Moose and developing steadily there
17-18: big minutes in the AHL, possibly in the NHL if he shines
18-19: hopefully ready to take over one of the LHD spots in the NHL.

That's what I think would be the best option for us. IDK anything about Carrick, so feel free to tell me if he would fit in the timeline above.

I don't disagree with the premise of looking for a guy to go to the AHL and be ready in a year or two, that would be cheaper as well. But I also do think the Jets could be interested in a guy like Slavin (in the right situation, i.e Price).

The reason is, while he can help now, he's only 22. He's still a long term piece. Also, he's expansion exempt, so there is no repercussions there. Third, because he's only on year 2 of his ELC, his salary really has little to no impact to the roster. We don't have to worry about waiting 2 years until Stu and Enstrom leave, his contract is so low it won't affect the next two years. Plus, I would imagine some players like Wheeler, Little, and Buff would like to start winning. A guy like Slavin helps with that right now, and is a part of the young core.

That being said, like MinJaBen I'm not going to throw out trade options and maybe ruin a nice discussion. I'm just saying a guy like Slavin and his situation would be a "now" and "later" player for us. That could be good too IMO.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I don't disagree with the premise of looking for a guy to go to the AHL and be ready in a year or two, that would be cheaper as well. But I also do think the Jets could be interested in a guy like Slavin (in the right situation, i.e Price).

The reason is, while he can help now, he's only 22. He's still a long term piece. Also, he's expansion exempt, so there is no repercussions there. Third, because he's only on year 2 of his ELC, his salary really has little to no impact to the roster. We don't have to worry about waiting 2 years until Stu and Enstrom leave, his contract is so low it won't affect the next two years. Plus, I would imagine some players like Wheeler, Little, and Buff would like to start winning. A guy like Slavin helps with that right now, and is a part of the young core.

That being said, like MinJaBen I'm not going to throw out trade options and maybe ruin a nice discussion. I'm just saying a guy like Slavin and his situation would be a "now" and "later" player for us. That could be good too IMO.

Yeah, Slavin would fit in just fine. But the problem is, I still see Stuart being a regular, one way or another. The more options we add, the less likely Morrissey is to ever get his opportunity. I'm not saying that we shouldn't look at every opportunity to upgrade our roster, but I don't think we should give our own guys their chances first. If they don't work out, then you can look from elsewhere. That's why someone like Pouliot just does not work: he's not exempt, would play in our bottom pairing and then probably would get picked by LV. There you go, a waste of time and assets.

What I was looking for is a similar situation which occurred a while ago with Forsling and Clendening: they got swapped for each other, because their teams saw the other guy fitting better with their schedule. The offseason when we need to get reinforcements at LHD is 2018. By then, the ideal scenario would be this.

Morrissey (two years of NHL experience, hopefully top 4 guy by then) - Buff (still going strong)
XXX (maybe one of our current prospects, maybe someone who we have acquired, IDK) - Trouba (good #2)
XXX (see above) - Myers (one year from UFA)
Guys like Stanley, Green etc. developing and maybe even ready for AHL minutes, injury call-ups in the AHL. Or, Postma.

With Slavin in there, we could easily have him in Morrissey's spot, but where Morrissey himself would be then? Bottom pairing, I guess. And when you look at the assets we have to give up for Slavin, I think we're better off looking for guys who need more time than NHL ready ones.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
well, we are division rivals...

But we have scandella, brodin, oloffson, reily all nhl ready.

But wed only want top 6 potential centers or RW. And value would need to be equal. not spare parts deal.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
well, we are division rivals...

But we have scandella, brodin, oloffson, reily all nhl ready.

But wed only want top 6 potential centers or RW. And value would need to be equal. not spare parts deal.

There's no agreement being reached here, as proven before.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I'd love Dano in Montreal but I don't know if Montreal has the pieces to acquire him, or willing to move the pieces.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yeah, I figured Slavin would be off limits for now. Or at least too expensive.

We don't necessarily need anyone who's ready now. The right "schedule" would be to the prospect to play in the juniors/AHL for this year, then be ready to challenge for a spot in the NHL next year, and, if everything's going good, make the jump the year after, when Stuart and Enstrom are leaving. If we're using, say Fleury as an example...

16-17: first year in the AHL, so playing against men with the Moose and developing steadily there
17-18: big minutes in the AHL, possibly in the NHL if he shines
18-19: hopefully ready to take over one of the LHD spots in the NHL.

That's what I think would be the best option for us. IDK anything about Carrick, so feel free to tell me if he would fit in the timeline above.

I think the problem is, you won't want to pay what it would cost to get Fleury (or Slavin). Canes management is still very high on Fleury as he's a big, mobile defenseman, and I don't see them trading him unless it's for (or in a package for) a true top 6 forward / forward prospect. I don't know enough about your team or prospect pool, but offering a combination of lesser guys isn't going to do anything for Carolina.

I don't know enough about all those guys in the OP to try to make any sort of valuation statement, but some of them don't seem to add much to Carolina.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
I'll throw a name. Erik Gustafsson. He had a pretty impressive year with the Blackhawks and there is a lot more potential in him. I could see him some some day in first PP-unit and as a very good 2nd pair guy, not playing against top players though.

BHawks have a lot defenders now and I think Gustafsson is a tweener. Jets would not have to protect him in expansion. I would trade him for Armia, I like his skill-set and he had pretty good year. Big body with skill.

Also we have Pokka but he is RHD.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Can't disagree. I thought seeing his name brought up was a little out of place for the thread. I can't see him being available really.

I was the one who brought him up, even though I'm a big fan. I really, really thought he deserved Calder consideration last year.

Still I don't think it's super farfetched. If Fleury comes into camp and plays like a 2/3, Slavin suddenly becomes a guy you can deal for a really good return. At some point, it's going to become a numbers game for Carolina on defense, kind of the reverse of what's happened in Edmonton.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I'd love Dano in Montreal but I don't know if Montreal has the pieces to acquire him, or willing to move the pieces.
If only Juulsen was left handed... but no, you don't have anyone who fits.

I think the problem is, you won't want to pay what it would cost to get Fleury (or Slavin). Canes management is still very high on Fleury as he's a big, mobile defenseman, and I don't see them trading him unless it's for (or in a package for) a true top 6 forward / forward prospect. I don't know enough about your team or prospect pool, but offering a combination of lesser guys isn't going to do anything for Carolina.

I don't know enough about all those guys in the OP to try to make any sort of valuation statement, but some of them don't seem to add much to Carolina.
I reckon Roslovic would be needed, and I don't think that's enough still. But yeah, I see your point.

Manning + Hagg
For
Lemeuix + 3rd

Nope, nope, nope. And spelling Lemieux wrong should be infraction worthy... :shakehead

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Don't think I got a reply so I will try again. Nemeth/Oleksiak for Burmistrov?

Personally I would never trade Burmi ;) but I think this seems reasonable for both sides. Do Nemeth/Oleksiak have any room for improvement over what they are now?

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014

The only D i can see is Beaulieu. But Winnipeg would have to add.

That being said, i don't know if Dano would be better than Lehkonen. I guess we would have to see how our small wingers do in a two years span.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Yeah, Slavin would fit in just fine. But the problem is, I still see Stuart being a regular, one way or another. The more options we add, the less likely Morrissey is to ever get his opportunity. I'm not saying that we shouldn't look at every opportunity to upgrade our roster, but I don't think we should give our own guys their chances first. If they don't work out, then you can look from elsewhere. That's why someone like Pouliot just does not work: he's not exempt, would play in our bottom pairing and then probably would get picked by LV. There you go, a waste of time and assets.

What I was looking for is a similar situation which occurred a while ago with Forsling and Clendening: they got swapped for each other, because their teams saw the other guy fitting better with their schedule. The offseason when we need to get reinforcements at LHD is 2018. By then, the ideal scenario would be this.

Morrissey (two years of NHL experience, hopefully top 4 guy by then) - Buff (still going strong)
XXX (maybe one of our current prospects, maybe someone who we have acquired, IDK) - Trouba (good #2)
XXX (see above) - Myers (one year from UFA)
Guys like Stanley, Green etc. developing and maybe even ready for AHL minutes, injury call-ups in the AHL. Or, Postma.

With Slavin in there, we could easily have him in Morrissey's spot, but where Morrissey himself would be then? Bottom pairing, I guess. And when you look at the assets we have to give up for Slavin, I think we're better off looking for guys who need more time than NHL ready ones.

Personally, if the Jets are making decisions based on gifting Stuart another spot on the roster then they are already giving up on the season. Not saying that our organization doesn't have a massive blind spot for him, but not making a potential deal because of Stuart isn't in my own mind as the "hypothetical GM" here.

Pouliot and players in his situation would be a terrible move I agree, but we're not talking about those types.

As for your outline in 2018, that's precisely my point. Sure, the Jets could go out and get guys that need junior and AHL time right now and hope that they make it by 2018. That's an option. But a player like Slavin is also a very good option because we would already know he's an NHL player and will be one of those XXX's on the left with Morrissey. Whether one is on the 1st or 2nd pair doesn't matter to me. There is a chance that no one we have in the organization develops enough to fill in one of those XXX's. I don't mind acquiring a guy (price depending) that not only is young enough to be a part of the future, but already guaranteed (or closer to it than a prospect) to be able to handle a top 4 role.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
But a player like Slavin is also a very good option because we would already know he's an NHL player and will be one of those XXX's on the left with Morrissey. Whether one is on the 1st or 2nd pair doesn't matter to me. There is a chance that no one we have in the organization develops enough to fill in one of those XXX's. I don't mind acquiring a guy (price depending) that not only is young enough to be a part of the future, but already guaranteed (or closer to it than a prospect) to be able to handle a top 4 role.

What do you consider (price depending)? Because from a Canes standpoint, I think the price would be pretty large and likely more than you want to give up, for the exact reasons you state (young, and shown signs of being able to handle a top 4 role already). I don't see Carolina moving any of Slavin, Fleury, etc..right now anyhow as there's no hurry.

Today:

Slavin-Faulk
Hanifin-Pesce
Hainsey-Murphy
Tennyson

McKeown, Fleury in the AHL, Bean in the CHL. The following season, Hainsey and Tennyson are UFAs. Murphy, if he plays well will probably be taken in the expansion draft.

Slavin-Faulk
Hanfin-Pesce
Fleury-McKeown/Murphy
Carrick

Make a decision on who to move after Fleury gets a season under his belt and the other guys have a few seasons. Will only, IMO, up their trade value.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
What do you consider (price depending)? Because from a Canes standpoint, I think the price would be pretty large and likely more than you want to give up, for the exact reasons you state (young, and shown signs of being able to handle a top 4 role already). I don't see Carolina moving any of Slavin, Fleury, etc..right now anyhow as there's no hurry.

Today:

Slavin-Faulk
Hanifin-Pesce
Hainsey-Murphy
Tennyson

McKeown, Fleury in the AHL, Bean in the CHL. The following season, Hainsey and Tennyson are UFAs. Murphy, if he plays well will probably be taken in the expansion draft.

Slavin-Faulk
Hanfin-Pesce
Fleury-McKeown/Murphy
Carrick

Make a decision on who to move after Fleury gets a season under his belt and the other guys have a few seasons. Will only, IMO, up their trade value.

I honestly can't see a fit one for one to be honest, which is why I didn't want to derail a nice discussion with the typical back and forth of player evaluations.

I would imagine the Hurricanes would want a young forward, but Laine, Ehlers, and Connor are not going to be moved. At that point I think there is a gap to the next young forward where it likely doesn't make sense for the Canes.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I honestly can't see a fit one for one to be honest, which is why I didn't want to derail a nice discussion with the typical back and forth of player evaluations.

I would imagine the Hurricanes would want a young forward, but Laine, Ehlers, and Connor are not going to be moved. At that point I think there is a gap to the next young forward where it likely doesn't make sense for the Canes.

Thanks..that was kind of my feeling, but I really didn't know your players/prospects enough to say for sure.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Thanks..that was kind of my feeling, but I really didn't know your players/prospects enough to say for sure.

Agreeing with you and the Jets fan above, at least if we're talking about Slavin. The next one in the line would be Roslovic, who projects to be a top 6 center, but with Staal, Rask, Aho, Teräväinen and others... I don't see him being a perfect fit. You're better off seeing what your young guns can do first, and then doing the needed trades. :)

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
But maybe Mirco Mueller would be a fit? I assume Roy is off limits.

I'd be happy to do Mueller for Dano. We need young forwards more than young defensive LHD. Actually, that's not true by any means (almost all of our top prospects are forwards), but after the SCF, I personally believe that having a deep group of scoring forwards (I'm starting to think that four scoring lines is honestly how teams should go, even more extreme than three scoring lines) is more important than bottom-pairing D (which Mueller would be here).

Roy is not off-limits by any means, but I don't know how attractive he'd be to you considering how many two-way RH PMDs you guys have blocking him.

What was SJ's development plan for Mueller? As it looks, he's been bounced around a fair bit with poor results.

Mueller was kinda jerked around his first year, starting out with Brent Burns in the top-4 (which he was CLEARLY not ready for), and then playing with non-ideal partners for the rest of the year (guys like Brenden Dillon, Scott Hannan, ie also defensive lefties). He played almost the full year in the AHL last year and from all reports really turned it around by the end. The SJ AHL team's coach doesn't really believe in pairings in the traditional sense, in that he really just roles three pairings equally, so describing how he was utilized would be a bit useless, but I'm more optimistic about Mueller after his first year of AHL play than I was after his first year of NHL play.

I think it would be fair to say that he'll battle for the #7 spot this year, probably losing it to Demelo (and to be fair, kinda hard to crack the D-corps of a Cup Finalist with an entrenched top-4 and a lot of other similar caliber bodies.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
From a habs' perspective, and I might be in the minority, I am open to moving Beaulieu.

Our left side is pretty crowded, if Sergachev makes the team....someone has to go.
Our forward prospect pool is lacking imo.

Ideally, whoever we could get for Beaulieu would have to slot in at 2LW this season in order for the trade to make sense. Dano would interest me, but I think more pieces would need to change hands for this to make sense.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Juulsen and Beaulieu and a 2nd rounder for Lowry, Dano and Lemieux.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad