Confirmed with Link: Flyers trade Cutter Gauthier to Anaheim for Jamie Drysdale and 2025 2nd round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
I don’t think Verbeek is a good GM at this juncture (neither do I think Briere is either) but it’s probably easier in a hockey player’s eyes to put blind faith in someone who came up during Tampa Bay’s dynasty than someone who came up during the last decade of the Flyers.
Do you really think he and his team thought this much into it? And he was born to be a Flyer with Chuck as GM? It’s crazy but the more I read it seems like he didn’t like that Fletcher was let go.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Seems like jack straw and I are the only ones with real dogs
1705008198007.jpeg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Also, I don't think you can give the team credit for playing young players when that's the only choice they really had. 11 or 2 skaters on this team are 24 and under. Only 2 of their top 6 players are older than 24, so ice time is going to be given to younger skaters naturally. It's also not an attack, on the Flyers, it's just the way it is.
Wait, I thought Torts was the lead dog who decided on what they added to the roster?
But he agreed to a roster that's loaded with young, inexperienced players?

There's some cognitive dissonance going on here.

Maybe a simpler answer is Torts has been pushing a rebuild since he got here, wants to play young players, but doesn't want to put them in situations where they're bound to fail.
So how he handles players differs from player to player.

He pushes Frost to take his game up a tier, challenges Cates by asking him to play center, then take on an offense role, gives TK a role befitting an elite player, gives Foerster a big workload, puts York on the 1st pair, but coddles Brink and shelters Zamula.

He wants a few veterans around to take some pressure off the kids and act as coaches on ice, but doesn't want them to block kids when they're ready for more PT.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
Considering the fanbases of just about all 32 teams complain about that, I would hope not. Zegras even went through it with Gauthier's new team.
to the point that there are rumors they are looking to move him. But rumors are rumors.

Last edited:

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
No.

Hilferty was though.
But Fletcher/jones was mentioned for his reason not to stay. Not Hilferty. 2 guys not working together. And 1 who drafted him when he was built to be a flyer. Insane if it’s about him loving Fletcher.

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
The problem there is, not signing him after his current season would cause immediate speculation that something is wrong. A 5th overall pick that is playing well in College NOT signing after his 2nd season there would immediately raise the alarms league wide. It wouldn't take long before it got out that he didn't want to be a Flyer, and then his value would begin to go down. They explained why they felt now, right after the WJC, was the best time to trade him and I can't find fault in that.

Whether you like the return or not is up for debate, but the return they got is most definitely better than a 2027 compensatory 2nd round pick.
That's the concern and yes it would cause speculation. They already contacted 20 teams though so it's not like it was unknown, even if it wasn't reported by the press yet. Trades with good returns have been made though when it was known a player wanted out. At the end of the day there are 31 other teams all competing with each other to get better and I'm sure someone would want a young top 5 pick and be willing to put up a 2nd plus for it, since that is the low bar that has been set here. They had 2.5 more years.

No argument that the return was better than a 2027 compensatory 2nd round pick but it was not as good as a their 5th OA pick staying either and again he may have reconsidered if he wasn't given exactly what he wanted by an org that seems to do that for everyone. Should we feel glad they salvaged some value here? I'm just wondering if they could have handled this situation differently and less like the perennial door mat that they have allowed themselves to become and if the entitled brat may have had another change of heart if he hadn't been rewarded for his petulant behavior. I guess we'll never know.

Reactions: FromOyVey2Matvei

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
I would love to see a poll on this board…who actually won the trade? A pure hockey trade. As if this happened to 2 other teams. Can dissect why forever. For the position the flyers were put in I believe they did well. However, I believe the kid could be close to the real deal and they lost the trade.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
So I listened to Therien’s follow up & to his credit he admitted essentially he threw gasoline into the fire on the podcast in regards to Hayes by going off. He said he got too emotional & acted like a fan instead of a former player.

I had a flashback to Therien being angry Holmgren didn’t interview him to be the GM when they hired Fletcher. :laugh:

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
I would love to see a poll on this board…who actually won the trade? A pure hockey trade. As if this happened to 2 other teams. Can dissect why forever. For the position the flyers were put in I believe they did well. However, I believe the kid could be close to the real deal and they lost the trade.
Probably need more time for that answer. The average fan will say us solely based on how Drysdale played yesterday. If he stays healthy and continues playing like last night Probably could be said we won til we see how Cutter plays

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
Probably need more time for that answer. The average fan will say us solely based on how Drysdale played yesterday. If he stays healthy and continues playing like last night Probably could be said we won til we see how Cutter plays
Of course more time is needed toward a final answer. But as a trade, like all trades are evaluated at the time they are made. Who won?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Even if you think they are equal talents, Gauthier will be playing on an ELC and is further away from free agency. That is a big deal and a benefit to drafting in the top 5 that the Flyers will not be able to capitalize on now - an "elite" cost controlled talent.

I don't think anyone objective thinks Gauthier is not a more valuable asset than Drysdale in January 2024. Hell the Flyers don't even think that as they got an additional piece thrown in. And I don't want to downplay 2nd round picks after years of pissing them away, but a future 2nd rounder in a trade of this magnitude is small potatoes. Anaheim got more value in the trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad