Confirmed with Link: Flyers trade Cutter Gauthier to Anaheim for Jamie Drysdale and 2025 2nd round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I would like to know the definition of contact Cutter’s agent having with Briere and Jones. Was it a voicemail saying Cutter wants out. Did they have a conversation? Briere says they didn’t talk.
It doesn’t sound like there was a face to face conversation between the Flyers and Cutter. Using your agent as a go between for over a year doesn’t sit well with me.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
All and all it is drama the team didn't need whether real or fabricated...just put it behind them and move on

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Top Ten New Theories Why Cutter Gauthier Didn't Want to Play for the Flyers Anymore:

1) Cutter is scared of Gritty.
2) Cutter hates burnt orange, loved neon orange.
3) Cutter was confused and concerned as to why the hell the Flyers elevated their color guy into their team president.
4) Cutter reads HF Flyers. Bought into the hivemind's pessimism.
5) Whilst reading HF Flyers, Cutter learned of the existences of @Lord Defect and @Striiker. Decided he could not be part of an organization in any way affiliated with such defectiveness, and is a firm believer that hot dogs are not sandwiches.
6) Cutter really admires Chuck Fletcher. Especially his hair.
7) Also whilst reading HF Flyers, Cutter came across Beef's food takes. ::shudder::
8) A Flyers insider sent him a creepy request for a personal photo, something to do with a new pillow. ::shudder::
9) Observed that lots of players tend to do better once they leave the Flyers.

and finally...

10) He just wanted to live up to hostagejoe's Eric Lindros comp.
This reminded me of the David Letterman Show. Best late night show there was. I was too young for Johnny Carson

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I would love to see a poll on this board…who actually won the trade? A pure hockey trade. As if this happened to 2 other teams. Can dissect why forever. For the position the flyers were put in I believe they did well. However, I believe the kid could be close to the real deal and they lost the trade.
Check back in 5 years. We won't know until then.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I wouldn’t hold wanting to go back to college against Cutter. BC is a national championship contender and he likely has a lot of friends on the team. Winning a national championship is right up there with winning a Cup for college players. Other than that I don’t care what he does. He isn’t the Flyers problem anymore

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Even if you think they are equal talents, Gauthier will be playing on an ELC and is further away from free agency. That is a big deal and a benefit to drafting in the top 5 that the Flyers will not be able to capitalize on now - an "elite" cost controlled talent.

I don't think anyone objective thinks Gauthier is not a more valuable asset than Drysdale in January 2024. Hell the Flyers don't even think that as they got an additional piece thrown in. And I don't want to downplay 2nd round picks after years of pissing them away, but a future 2nd rounder in a trade of this magnitude is small potatoes. Anaheim got more value in the trade.
That would matter except Flyers will have something on the order of $30+M in cap room, even if they buy out Atkinson and Pederson this summer, and resign their current starters, come 2025-26 and 2026-27. So cap really doesn't come into play until the end of the decade, and at that point, if both players pan out, they'll cost an arm and a leg (trend now is long term deal with 3-4 years of RFA eligibility).

Talent is one issue, position the other, 1RHD worth more than 1LW.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
This is what I mean when I say we don't have to twist ourselves into knots to justify every single thing from every angle.

Well, actually cap won't be a problem until 2027! We have no idea when cap will be a problem because more trades and signings are coming, as they should be. Plus we never know what moves aren't made for cap reasons or what opportunities there are to weaponize it in the interim.

Drysdale's contract is fine. It's just less of a bargain than an ELC. And he'll cost a bit more to sign to a 3rd contract because he'll have less RFA years left. No one is saying that makes him worthless.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I would like to know the definition of contact Cutter’s agent having with Briere and Jones. Was it a voicemail saying Cutter wants out. Did they have a conversation? Briere says they didn’t talk.
It doesn’t sound like there was a face to face conversation between the Flyers and Cutter. Using your agent as a go between for over a year doesn’t sit well with me.
Briere said Cutter's agent asked for a zoom call after tge World Championship last year and the agent informed them he wanted a trade and would not sign with the Flyers.

Briere said they decided to give him space in case he changed his mind but then he declined coming to camp and then started having talks with teams gauging value.

Then tried to meet with him at WJC and the agent said no and reinforced trade request. And then Briere stepped up the trade talks and said there were 2 other teams with top offers.

Lebrun said he asked Briere for the reason he wouldn't sign and he swore he didn't know because Cutter would not talk with them. Then Lebrun asked agent and he said was a personal decision but agent said it was not Torts related.

We don't get much Flyers talk up here, but the last few days, it's everywhere on the sports shows.

Embiid

This show is now rated "PG"
May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
Letterman couldn't have existed without Carson, but he was also infinitely better.

I luckily got to see Letterman at least once live. It was fun.

Carson I remember watching in his last years. He is obviously the father of late night. Used to enjoy him with Rodney Dangerfield as a guest.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This is what I mean when I say we don't have to twist ourselves into knots to justify every single thing from every angle.

Well, actually cap won't be a problem until 2027! We have no idea when cap will be a problem because more trades and signings are coming, as they should be. Plus we never know what moves aren't made for cap reasons or what opportunities there are to weaponize it in the interim.

Drysdale's contract is fine. It's just less of a bargain than an ELC. And he'll cost a bit more to sign to a 3rd contract because he'll have less RFA years left. No one is saying that makes him worthless.

I think he's worthfull

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Remember when Fletcher took over with oodles of cap room and like 4 years later there's talk that we couldnt sign a top 5 pick because of not having cap space for bonus overages?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

My point is we're not constrained cap wise the next few years (and they shouldn't be signing FAs until 2027 or so, I'd rather extend TK than overpay for a mercenary). So there's no "shadow price" value to an ELC. And Comcast doesn't have cash flow constraints like some organizations.

Now if you're talking 2025 draft picks, they should be arriving when the next wave of contract extensions start to pinch. In that case, there's real value to an ELC.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
I luckily got to see Letterman at least once live. It was fun.

Carson I remember watching in his last years. He is obviously the father of late night. Used to enjoy him with Rodney Dangerfield as a guest.
YouTube as alot of Carson with Dangerfield; really wacky was when Rickles was on.

BTW Jack Paar was the host before Johnny and even before Jack was Steve Allen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad