Confirmed with Link: Flyers Sign Martin Jones (1 Yr - $2M)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Meh. Bernier is probably the only available goalie who's an upgrade.
Halak is cooked. Holtby is cooked.
JONES IS COOKED

people need to stop defending every shit move. Justifying everythjng he does when it’s a bad move. Jones doesn’t do a damn thing. Halak is a much better goaltender than Jones. I would say holtby is too at the same exact price. Is it even a marginal upgrade from Elliot??????

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Bill really has the worst arguments for defending things this organization does. A response to the OP should have been a layup but Bill still somehow came out of the conversation sounding dumb too.

Like enough time has surpassed that Fletcher could have made a goaltending coach change especially after that abomination last year.

Exactly, he’s the only guy still there left over from Hextall.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Myrtetus’ interview with the editor of InGoal magazine was good.

Basically said Jones lost his technique. On the bright said, he said you could see he was working on it last year after being resistant in years prior.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Myrtetus’ interview with the editor of InGoal magazine was good.

Basically said Jones lost his technique. On the bright said, he said you could see he was working on it last year after being resistant in years prior.

Neuvirth overhauled his play to become really sound positionally (And if ever a goalie needed to rely on angles over feats of agility, it was Mr Glass), but then it ended up being temporary.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Neuvirth overhauled his play to become really sound positionally (And if ever a goalie needed to rely on angles over feats of agility, it was Mr Glass), but then it ended up being temporary.
I’m searching for any sliver of hope I can muster.

At the moment, it’s hard not to think Lombardi gave us another Rathje recommendation.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He didn't just acquire Atkinson, Risto, Thompson, or Ellis. He almost entirely swapped players out for each. Patrick and Myers for Ellis which I think is closer to a wash than people think, but the only clear win.

It was Voracek for Atkinson. Very clearly worse player in terms of production and advanced stats and not any younger.

It’s not clear at all that Atkinson has worse advanced stats.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I’m searching for any sliver of hope I can muster.

At the moment, it’s hard not to think Lombardi gave us another Rathje recommendation.

Allow me to batter the sliver, by pointing out that Buffalo got Neuvirth back on track and then he lost the track in Philly. He got so good in Buffalo that they had to trade him to NYI because he was f***ing up the tank for Eichel

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Halak

Save % : .905
GSAA : -1.6
QS% : .529

Jones

Save % : .896
GSAA : -11.7
QS% : .441

Its not close. Halak is far better.
Last three seasons, GAA - xGA/60.
Halak -0.14, +0.03, +0.50
Jones +0.41, +0.39, +0.60
If Halak was 30, I'd say he'd bounce back, but he's 36, I think that was a man falling off a cliff.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

Bill really has the worst arguments for defending things this organization does. A response to the OP should have been a layup but Bill still somehow came out of the conversation sounding dumb too.

Like enough time has surpassed that Fletcher could have made a goaltending coach change especially after that abomination last year.

Literally LOL’d at the snarky Jo Anne reply. Bit sexist no?

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I will say:

I didn’t want Elliott back at any cost.

I think Halak at age 36 is toast.

Bernier got overpaid at $4M & I don’t think they could afford to give him that.

Raanta is another unreliable, injury-prone Neuvirth type.

Mrazek was one of the worst goalies I’ve ever seen in his Philly stint.

Holtby has been worse than Jones the last two seasons, IMO, & I didn’t like the idea of pairing Hart with his hero. All kinds of psychological implications for a kid who is already way into his own head.

Ullmark? Couldn’t afford him & he was signed as a #1.

Andersen? Was given a clear opportunity to be the #1.

Reimer? Was given a clear opportunity to be the #1.

Broissant or whatever his name is? Has never played a lot & he’s probably not choosing Philly over Vegas, anyway.

Jones? I’m disappointed, but in reality their options weren’t good. The best ones are all in places where they are the #1 or have a clear opportunity for #1. Most have significant questions.

I’ll hope for a Cam Talbot style reclamation of form. But the Flyers may have to hope one of Ersson, Sandstrom, or Ustimenko steps up.

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
We all knew that Carter Hart is the main key to the Flyers season. After this signing, any sliver of doubt regarding this was removed

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I will say:

I didn’t want Elliott back at any cost.

I think Halak at age 36 is toast.

Bernier got overpaid at $4M & I don’t think they could afford to give him that.

Raanta is another unreliable, injury-prone Neuvirth type.

Mrazek was one of the worst goalies I’ve ever seen in his Philly stint.

Holtby has been worse than Jones the last two seasons, IMO, & I didn’t like the idea of pairing Hart with his hero. All kinds of psychological implications for a kid who is already way into his own head.

Ullmark? Couldn’t afford him & he was signed as a #1.

Andersen? Was given a clear opportunity to be the #1.

Reimer? Was given a clear opportunity to be the #1.

Broissant or whatever his name is? Has never played a lot & he’s probably not choosing Philly over Vegas, anyway.

Jones? I’m disappointed, but in reality their options weren’t good. The best ones are all in places where they are the #1 or have a clear opportunity for #1. Most have significant questions.

I’ll hope for a Cam Talbot style reclamation of form. But the Flyers may have to hope one of Ersson, Sandstrom, or Ustimenko steps up.
The problem with this move is this though. Fletcher didn't read the goalie market very well at all.

I agree that most of the options that signed for similar money to Jones had their share of question marks as well. Holtby has been really bad for two straight years. Raanta can't stay healthy. Brossoit has never played more than 19 games in a season and probably was choosing Vegas over Philly anyway. Halak is 36 and done. Elliot is 36 and done and can't stay healthy. I would have tried to get Reimer over Jones but I have no idea if they were in on him and if he had any interest in coming here.

The issue I have is that he didn't plan accordingly with the cap and make sure he was able to afford to a better option, or go out and find a trade for one. It was supposed to be a higher priority and should have been. I'm not sure it would have made a major difference since the guys who signed for more money went to places where they will get more opportunities to play, but it's Fletcher's job to go out and make things happen and he failed to do that with this.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
The problem with this move is this though. Fletcher didn't read the goalie market very well at all.

I agree that most of the options that signed for similar money to Jones had their share of question marks as well. Holtby has been really bad for two straight years. Raanta can't stay healthy. Brossoit has never played more than 19 games in a season and probably was choosing Vegas over Philly anyway. Halak is 36 and done. Elliot is 36 and done and can't stay healthy. I would have tried to get Reimer over Jones but I have no idea if they were in on him and if he had any interest in coming here.

The issue I have is that he didn't plan accordingly with the cap and make sure he was able to afford to a better option, or go out and find a trade for one. It was supposed to be a higher priority and should have been. I'm not sure it would have made a major difference since the guys who signed for more money went to places where they will get more opportunities to play, but it's Fletcher's job to go out and make things happen and he failed to do that with this.
I understand the frustration and I’m certainly concerned with Jones, also.

I can only assume the trade market was brutal, as the Kuemper trade indicates. I am happier with Ristolainen than a backup G. But I would have liked to find a way to trade for another backup.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I understand the frustration and I’m certainly concerned with Jones, also.

I can only assume the trade market was brutal, as the Kuemper trade indicates. I am happier with Ristolainen than a backup G. But I would have liked to find a way to trade for another backup.
Yep. The market didn't break well for them but it's Fletcher's job to read that market and plan accordingly which I feel like he failed to do. We are now left to hope that a guy who has been bad for three straight years can resurrect his career at 31. Possible, but unlikely and we needed someone who could be relied upon to give them 30-35 quality starts.

Reactions: Rebels57

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It’s clear they were zeroed in on Jones because of the Dillbaugh connection. When he was asked about Holtby, Fletcher basically said he didn’t want to come here. He probably doesn’t like the Flyers much from his time as Cap.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Fletcher is such a turd. This off-season of dire change or death, and this is the team?
he has a book of trade targets. The problem is this book is from 2015. Yandle, Thompson, Jones are tooo old and way past their prime. Fletcher havent noticed this!

Ironmanrulez

Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Whelp. Hart better bounce back, because I don't have much faith in Martin Jones after three straight .896 seasons.

I'm going to assume this is a Dillabaugh recommendation from having him in Los Angeles. Hope he can fix him.

This is what I get for asking the monkey's paw for a big goaltender.
WHAT? YOU ACTUALLY DONT LOVE ONE MOVE BY FLETCHER? I WILL MAKE 1000 X in the calendar

Ironmanrulez

Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Fletcher or Starat should perform like this. And we would have something to see. It would make me feel good for 3 minutes at least!

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
It’s clear they were zeroed in on Jones because of the Dillbaugh connection. When he was asked about Holtby, Fletcher basically said he didn’t want to come here. He probably doesn’t like the Flyers much from his time as Cap.
No one wants to be second fiddle to Hart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad