Confirmed with Link: Flyers Sign Martin Jones (1 Yr - $2M)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Fletcher has been concerned and desperate this whole time, yes. When you’re going down with the ship, you want as many people with you as possible.

What does Vince McMahon do when he is desperate? Go find a bunch of big dudes. what you know best.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
so before you sign no one and trust a rookie, you sign a player for 2,0 who you dont even trust????? thats soooo bad. I cant even...

Give your young goaltender the chance to grow, before SIGNING THIS MORON! OMFG
This post is incomprehensible.

The goalie market was poor. The decent options all got opportunities to compete for #1 they didn’t think they’d have with Hart. The trade market (see Kuemper) is insane. It wasn’t a good situation for the Flyers, unfortunately. And I’m doubting management is thrilled with how it unfolded.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
This post is incomprehensible.

The goalie market was poor. The decent options all got opportunities to compete for #1 they didn’t think they’d have with Hart. The trade market (see Kuemper) is insane. It wasn’t a good situation for the Flyers, unfortunately. And I’m doubting management is thrilled with how it unfolded.
dont sign Yandle, dont sign Jones, dont sign Nate and you have 3,5 for a backup without loosing anything worth anything. I bet a solid option would have signed for the backup role for 3,5 despite they could sign for a chance to be starter anywhere else for 2,0 or 2,5 .

Also who say that Hart will be the starter. We are talking about AV and the Flyers. Anything is possible when it come to goalies with our franchise!

Reactions: Rebels57

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
dont sign Yandle, dont sign Jones, dont sign Nate and you have 3,5 for a backup without loosing anything worth anything. I bet a solid option would have signed for the backup role for 3,5 despite they could sign for a chance to be starter anywhere else for 2,0 or 2,5 .

Also who say that Hart will be the starter. We are talking about AV and the Flyers. Anything is possible when it come to goalies with our franchise!
Easy to say. I don’t think it’s true in practice. Carter Hart is a very hyped goalie. Goalies aren’t coming here if they think they have no shot at #1 but have a better opportunity elsewhere. Especially on a short contract.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Easy to say. I don’t think it’s true in practice. Carter Hart is a very hyped goalie. Goalies aren’t coming here if they think they have no shot at #1 but have a better opportunity elsewhere. Especially on a short contract.
alot of goalies are traded and sign new deals! I bet if Fletcher would have make 1B GK the top priority he would have gotten a better option than Jones. Hell MOOOOOOOSSSSEEEEE would be a better option than Jones!

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

That's simply not true, you still need to pay someone to fill the #7/#13 slots so you don't really save much if any cap room by not signing Yandle and Nate.

Bernier signed for 2yr/$8.25M, Ullmark for 4yr/$20M - which precludes extending Sanheim.
Are either of these goalies good enough to lose Sanheim in a year or two?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
That's simply not true, you still need to pay someone to fill the #7/#13 slots so you don't really save much if any cap room by not signing Yandle and Nate.

Bernier signed for 2yr/$8.25M, Ullmark for 4yr/$20M - which precludes extending Sanheim.

They'd already signed Morin and NAK exists, there's your 7 and 13 without spending more.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Uh, since 2 of 4 will go to the AHL and have their salary negated, it's a nothing burger.

They would have been actual 7s and 13s instead of the roster staples AV will make Yandle and Thompson, so it's not a nothing burger.

Have you been paying attention at all these last few years? You're arguing a theoretical course of action the Flyers never take.

Reactions: Rebels57

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
dont sign Yandle, dont sign Jones, dont sign Nate and you have 3,5 for a backup without loosing anything worth anything.
It doesn't work that way. If it wasn't Yandle and Thompson it would have been York/Zamula and Laczynski or other free agents to fill the 6th D and 4C roles so they wouldn't have had 3.5 million to spend on a goalie.

I bet a solid option would have signed for the backup role for 3,5 despite they could sign for a chance to be starter anywhere else for 2,0 or 2,5 .
Andersen, Ullmark, Bernier, and Mrazek all signed for 3.8 million and above so having 3.5 million to spend on a goalie wouldn't have made a difference especially when they got better opportunites for playing time elsewhere. They should have tried to get Reimer is what they should have done. The market didn't break well for them and Fletcher didn't read it well either. The money that went to Yandle and Thompson was going to someone though and had zero impact on the goalie situation.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They would have been actual 7s and 13s instead of the roster staples AV will make Yandle and Thompson, so it's not a nothing burger.

Have you been paying attention at all these last few years? You're arguing a theoretical course of action the Flyers never take.

I've paid attention, and all this nitpicking is just that, a lot of crap.

If this season comes down to NAK v Thompson as the 12 forward (actually, Allison and Laczynski should bury both of them) then they're screwed anyway. Because it probably means Frost went belly up and/or Allison/Laczynski were injured. And you'd hope that Foerster/Wisdom/Ratcliffe broke out and made the issue moot.

Thompson was overused in 2019-20 but Frost or Bunnaman would have made zero difference - they both sucked.
When veterans get over played it's a symptom of lack of depth, if the kids were ready there would be no issue.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Then you don't give him 2 million dollars

Well, $2M on a one year gamble that Jones can halfway regain his form is better than 4yr/$20M on a below average goaltender.
I'd have been happy to sign Ullmark to a 2yr/$6M deal, but some of those goalie deals are nutso.

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site

Holtby got the exact same contract Jones got.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
He has 4 straight 30+ win seasons then 2091-20 happened and he's been garbage since then. What happened? Is it the team in front of him?

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
He has 4 straight 30+ win seasons then 2091-20 happened and he's been garbage since then. What happened? Is it the team in front of him?
He had a three year run with save percentages of .918, .912., and 9.15 to three straight seasons at .896. It's a strange case for sure to see a guy go from really good to horrendous overnight before the age of 30.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad