Value of: Flyers Fire Sale

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Not enough with the cap dumps in there. Flyers have no need for Barrie or Turris.

Turris is undoubtedly a dump; Barrie was more in reference to “cap purposes,” as though he’s neutral value in my opinion. No value in the deal, but I don’t think he’d be a detriment regarding his contract. Warm body that can play a 4/5 role.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
It'd be one or the other, not both. Something like 1st/Barron + Jost/Kaut/Bowers
this is probably similar to the floor for Giroux offers. I would expect offers to appreciate, and possibly, appreciate a fair bit. Giroux moves the needle for a playoff team quite a bit.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Turris is undoubtedly a dump; Barrie was more in reference to “cap purposes,” as though he’s neutral value in my opinion. No value in the deal, but I don’t think he’d be a detriment regarding his contract. Warm body that can play a 4/5 role.

Giroux for a 1st rounder 2022 + a prospect is likely the ante into to the trade consideration. It goes up from there. Cap dumps make little sense to acquire for the Flyers unless a significant sweetener accompanies it e.g. more 1sts? Warm bodies like Barrie are mostly irrelevant, he's ok but the chances he fits into the future Flyers planning are likely zero.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Giroux for a 1st rounder 2022 + a prospect is likely the ante into to the trade consideration. It goes up from there. Cap dumps make little sense to acquire for the Flyers unless a significant sweetener accompanies it e.g. more 1sts? Warm bodies like Barrie are mostly irrelevant, he's ok but the chances he fits into the future Flyers planning are likely zero.

Barrie cannot be worse than the summer trade for Risto!

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019

I completely agree. But he's the type of player that the Flyers should be trading away, not trading for. So in the the context of the deal he's a "cap dump". I'm not inferring that he's a bad player (though his defense is questionable) or massively overpaid (jeff skinner).

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
this is probably similar to the floor for Giroux offers. I would expect offers to appreciate, and possibly, appreciate a fair bit. Giroux moves the needle for a playoff team quite a bit.

Doesn't he pretty much have a choice of where he wants to go?

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
To PHI: Barrie, Turris (both cap purposes), 2022 1st, 2023 2nd, Savoie

To EDM: Giroux (50% retained), Braun

Let's break that down:

20221st
Savoie (we just traded ghost, why would the FO want another, smaller Ghost)
Barrie (cap dump with another 2 years left)

for Giroux isn't going to get it done

2023 2nd
Turris (cap dump)

for Braun I could do since turris is a UFA

That's not gonna cut it, man. No reason for flyers take back a cap dump for Giroux unless they're also about to be UFA's

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Really?! If you go by this board there will be 35ish players being traded for a first during this years TDL.
The question is always comparables and who wants to pay for a 1st. If you consider Savard for a 1st+3rd last deadline, you can easily argue a 1st or 2nd+ prospect for Ristolainen even though he has not been great this season. Right ?

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Doesn't he pretty much have a choice of where he wants to go?

He does, but if he agrees to move at all, he'll probably give us a list of teams he'd be willing to accept a trade to, rather than demand a move to a single specific team. If he does the latter, our hands are tied, but there are very few teams G wouldn't significantly improve. If he gives us a list of, say, 5 or 6 places he'd waive for, then we could certainly engineer a bidding war.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Let's break that down:

20221st
Savoie (we just traded ghost, why would the FO want another, smaller Ghost)
Barrie (cap dump with another 2 years left)

for Giroux isn't going to get it done

2023 2nd
Turris (cap dump)

for Braun I could do since turris is a UFA

That's not gonna cut it, man. No reason for flyers take back a cap dump for Giroux unless they're also about to be UFA's

Well, Ghostbear was a LHD, and Savoie is a left winger, so there is a pretty big difference in position. Also Savoie is young and under his ELC. You aren't really comparing apples to apples here. Did you confuse Savoie with another prospect?

Giroux probably goes for a 1st + so I agree with you there.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Well, Ghostbear was a LHD, and Savoie is a left winger, so there is a pretty big difference in position. Also Savoie is young and under his ELC. You aren't really comparing apples to apples here. Did you confuse Savoie with another prospect?

Giroux probably goes for a 1st + so I agree with you there.
I did, apologies lol

Reactions: TFHockey

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
The question is always comparables and who wants to pay for a 1st. If you consider Savard for a 1st+3rd last deadline, you can easily argue a 1st or 2nd+ prospect for Ristolainen even though he has not been great this season. Right ?

Its not really comparable if one circumstance is a sellers market while the other is not and it’s not really comparable if the same team overpaying.

What’s also not being considered is the status Giroux and how he has a lot of power to dictate where he wants to go.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
He does, but if he agrees to move at all, he'll probably give us a list of teams he'd be willing to accept a trade to, rather than demand a move to a single specific team. If he does the latter, our hands are tied, but there are very few teams G wouldn't significantly improve. If he gives us a list of, say, 5 or 6 places he'd waive for, then we could certainly engineer a bidding war.

A list of 5 or 6 teams diminishes his power to choose. If he has a preference, he forfeits that with a list of 5 or 6 teams.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Neutral fan here. I would not be suprised if at TDL we see
Giroux for a 1st + prospect
Ristolainen for a 1st
Braun for a 3rd
Yandle for a 6th

Yandle is literally worthless right now. Worst Flyers dman according to the underlying numbers in the past few decades. After Chuck is done letting him increase his little pointless record (I say pointless because he’s done nothing to deserve it the past few seasons now), he’ll be let go and never play in the NHL again.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Its not really comparable if one circumstance is a sellers market while the other is not and it’s not really comparable if the same team overpaying.

What’s also not being considered is the status Giroux and how he has a lot of power to dictate where he wants to go.
Depends if it is a sellers market or not. If you have a MTL effect with bubble teams and cup contenders ready to spend picks for a run, it could be a sellers market.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Yandle is literally worthless right now. Worst Flyers dman according to the underlying numbers in the past few decades. After Chuck is done letting him increase his little pointless record (I say pointless because he’s done nothing to deserve it the past few seasons now), he’ll be let go and never play in the NHL again.
Gustafsson got a 7th last year, could see a team making a similar bet with Yandle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad