Proposal: Flyers and Jets

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think a Sanheim for Connor deal seems fair to me. Both are unproven in the NHL, both were #17 overall in their draft year, both have progressed well since being drafted. Sanheim meets a need for the Jets and Connor a need for the Flyers.

Not out of the question. I took 3 names out of availability but I could bend on Connor.

There is the risk that Connor turns into a superstar but Sanheim could too. That's why there is hesitation about trading promising prospects. Connor fell to 17 by divine intervention though. He should have gone top 10. I would consider him for Sanheim but I think Flyers have to add a bit.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Is Connor a LW or C prospect? He played LW in the USHL, but C at Michigan, right? I'm having difficulty pulling up his faceoff numbers on mobile. Is Sharp a good NHL comp for Connor?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Trading Ehlers, Connor or Laine are a waste of time to talk about, complete non starters. There is literally no way a draft develop team like the Jets would trade one of their elite prospects.

One of our depth prospects is tradable sure, but any prospects we traded them for would be questionable value anyways so who really cares. Might be able trade one for a older guy at TDL or something. Maybe trade one plus Stuart to get rid of that negative value.

That doesn't make any sense. Sorry. Trading one elite prospect for another doesn't violate any sacred principle of Draft & Develop. In fact it is an absolutely necessary part of the process.

Drafting BPA will never work out to being a balanced team. Witness the Flyers with a boatload of LHD and not much else and the Jets with a boatload of wingers and not much else. You have to be willing to part with some of your beloved prospects to fill your actual needs.

What we have here is a case of 2 fanbases too much in love with their own prospects to be able to see practical possibilities. We have Flyers fans wanting to play half their LHD on the right side. Yes, of course they can. We CAN play Trouba on the left too. But they will never be as good on their off sides as they would be on their natural sides. Then we have Jets fans saying that Lemieux is an untouchable. Good Grief! He is a 'B' prospect fer cs.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
That doesn't make any sense. Sorry. Trading one elite prospect for another doesn't violate any sacred principle of Draft & Develop. In fact it is an absolutely necessary part of the process.

Drafting BPA will never work out to being a balanced team. Witness the Flyers with a boatload of LHD and not much else and the Jets with a boatload of wingers and not much else. You have to be willing to part with some of your beloved prospects to fill your actual needs.

What we have here is a case of 2 fanbases too much in love with their own prospects to be able to see practical possibilities. We have Flyers fans wanting to play half their LHD on the right side. Yes, of course they can. We CAN play Trouba on the left too. But they will never be as good on their off sides as they would be on their natural sides. Then we have Jets fans saying that Lemieux is an untouchable. Good Grief! He is a 'B' prospect fer cs.

Of course its technically possible, but as I stated in my one post it's "highly unlikely" two teams agree on a deal for trading two Elite prospects. Especially considering one of those teams being the Jets who to-date have clinged to their prospects like a fat kid hoards his chocolate. The day Chevy trades an elite prospect away is the day you become right, until that happens sorry but I'm right.

The whole idea of trading a prospect like Lemieux is silly imo when the goal is to solve our LHD or D prospect issue.....Hagg isn't any good. Lemieux isn't going to get us any upgrade, so why trade him for a depth D prospect makes no sense. That doesn't mean Lemieux is untouchable just means he isn't getting us any upgrade on D.

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013

Eh, I don't think you know much about the Flyers' system. The forward and goalie groups are deep as well, though admittedly, not as deep as the D group. Also, Sanheim plays on the right side. He isn't out of place there. Provorov just plays LD, same with Hagg and Morin. As Gostisbehere demonstrated, he plays very well on his "off" side. Myers and Friedman are RH D that have good NHL upside.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

I think that's a bit of stretch. Tons of LHD play the right side in the NHL, and some of them actually prefer it. Pretty much no one on the Flyers forum see Morin or Provorov moving to the right side. But Ghost is already doing great there, and Sanheim is arguably even more suited to playing his off side. Hagg is like a lot of Swedish dmen who has played both sides during his young career.

If Lemieux is off the table due to his uniqueness in the Jets prospect system, I would consider some of the other B forward prospects. I'm just not as familiar with them.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Actually Ghost prefers to play the right and looks better there, particularly in the offensive zone.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Connor had a dominant season in college. That's undispuatable. When Yakupov was his age, he was putting up a 53 point pace Calder season.....Sanheim is definately a better prospect.

What does Yak have to do with anything here? And no he was never in contention for the Calder. He has never put up 53 pts in the NHL so I have no idea what you are talking about.

What Connor did in the NCAA was exceed Eichel's performance from the year before. It was very near a record performance. So no, Sanheim is not definitely a better prospect. They are close enough to be discussed together.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Of course its technically possible, but as I stated in my one post it's "highly unlikely" two teams agree on a deal for trading two Elite prospects. Especially considering one of those teams being the Jets who to-date have clinged to their prospects like a fat kid hoards his chocolate. The day Chevy trades an elite prospect away is the day you become right, until that happens sorry but I'm right.

The whole idea of trading a prospect like Lemieux is silly imo when the goal is to solve our LHD or D prospect issue.....Hagg isn't any good. Lemieux isn't going to get us any upgrade, so why trade him for a depth D prospect makes no sense. That doesn't mean Lemieux is untouchable just means he isn't getting us any upgrade on D.

I will grant you that it doesn't happen often. Everyone is afraid of trading a future star for a future bust.

The idea of trading Lemieux for Hagg doesn't work for the Jets. I wouldn't call it silly because the value is probably close. The problem is just that Hagg is not what we need. Neither is any other D we might get in exchange for Lemieux although he might be part payment on what we need. But Lemieux is not an elite prospect. He is not a blue chipper or anywhere close to it.

The conversation had moved on to some higher value prospects. A swap of higher value prospects that fill a need for each team makes sense. We won't get agreement here because fanbases almost never agree on relative values. That doesn't mean that real GMs can't agree. Will they be willing to risk being on the losing end of a trade? It happens rarely enough that I would have to say no.

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Connor for Sanheim would be a fair trade and would be good for both teams.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think that's a bit of stretch. Tons of LHD play the right side in the NHL, and some of them actually prefer it. Pretty much no one on the Flyers forum see Morin or Provorov moving to the right side. But Ghost is already doing great there, and Sanheim is arguably even more suited to playing his off side. Hagg is like a lot of Swedish dmen who has played both sides during his young career.

If Lemieux is off the table due to his uniqueness in the Jets prospect system, I would consider some of the other B forward prospects. I'm just not as familiar with them.

There are pros and cons to playing each side. Some left shots have played the right side all their lives and vice versa. It is more natural for them just because of being used to it. Being on the off-side is better in the O zone which is why a lot of D swap sides on the PP. OTOH that first pass out of the D zone has to be made on the back hand. No amount of practice changes that.

I never said that D can't play their off-side. Plenty do it successfully but they will never be 100% as good as they are on their natural sides. Sanheim on the left is better than Sanheim on the right no matter how good Sanheim on the right may be.

If the Flyers want to go forward with 6 LHD go ahead. :) But there are better options possible.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Connor for Sanheim would be a fair trade and would be good for both teams.

No it wouldn't. Connor was the best player in the NCAA, Sanheim wasn't even the best defenceman in a weaker league.

Connor has been getting massively underrated this summer

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Connor had a dominant season in college. That's undispuatable. When Yakupov was his age, he was putting up a 53 point pace Calder season.....Sanheim is definately a better prospect.

Sanheim had a good season in the WHL. When Josh Morrissey was a year younger than him he put up 5 more points in only 7 more games. That's Morrissey's 18 year old year vs Sanheim's 19 year old year btw

Big points in the WHL doesn't mean much.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
No it wouldn't. Connor was the best player in the NCAA, Sanheim wasn't even the best defenceman in a weaker league.

Connor has been getting massively underrated this summer

Sanheim had a good season in the WHL. When Josh Morrissey was a year younger than him he put up 5 more points in only 7 more games. That's Morrissey's 18 year old year vs Sanheim's 19 year old year btw

lolwut

Travis Sanheim had the highest points/per game for a WHL d man in the last 20 years. You're making out like he had some run-of-the-mill good season. The WHL is the lowest scoring league, so points there mean just as much as, if not slightly more than, elsewhere. And his team was an offensive black hole without Sanheim and Bean. They had no help whatsoever, and certainly not a Leon Draisaitl like Morrissey. And this year among defensemen, Sanheim had the highest p/pg in the CHL, the highest primary p/pg in the CHL, and the highest powerplay p/pg in the CHL. He then came onto the Phantoms late and scored 3 points in 4 games in his first ever AHL stint. Connor is phenomenal, but please stop.

Last edited:

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
What does Yak have to do with anything here? And no he was never in contention for the Calder. He has never put up 53 pts in the NHL so I have no idea what you are talking about.

What Connor did in the NCAA was exceed Eichel's performance from the year before. It was very near a record performance. So no, Sanheim is not definitely a better prospect. They are close enough to be discussed together.

No one has ever done what Connor has done in the ncaa as a freshman and not become elite. That's a fact.

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
There are pros and cons to playing each side. Some left shots have played the right side all their lives and vice versa. It is more natural for them just because of being used to it. Being on the off-side is better in the O zone which is why a lot of D swap sides on the PP. OTOH that first pass out of the D zone has to be made on the back hand. No amount of practice changes that.

I never said that D can't play their off-side. Plenty do it successfully but they will never be 100% as good as they are on their natural sides. Sanheim on the left is better than Sanheim on the right no matter how good Sanheim on the right may be.

If the Flyers want to go forward with 6 LHD go ahead. :) But there are better options possible.

Again, it's clear that you're out of your element on this topic. Sanheim and Gostisbehere are just as well, if not better, on their off sides. It's not of utmost importance to have LHD-RHD pattern from the first to the bottom pairs. Besides, I doubt that the Flyers won't have at least one RHD in the corps. Gudas is signed to the next four years. Midway through that contract, Myers and Friedman should be up.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

But did he put up 53 points? And win the Calder just like Tyler Myers?

Regarding the trade, Sanhiem for Connor.

That is doable, but only GM with guts of steel can pull that off.

which one would the Jets fans want more?

Sick top 6
Laine Schiefele Wheeler
connor Little Ehlers
Dano Perrault Stafford

Or balance D?
Enstrom Byfuglien
Sanhiem Trouba
Morrissey Myers

Though at the D IMO, I still want one big shutdown D. All 6are mobile D though.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Look at the post I responded to. They used Myers rookie season to try and put down Sanheim...I assume saying that Sanheim isn't even in the NHL.

I SARCASTICALLY wrote the exact same thing using hand examples of Yak's rookie season and Connor not being in the NHL.

BOTH are ridiculous comments....but mine was sarcasm, his was serious.

And I said Connor had a great season, but let's not pretend that Sanheim did not as well. He posted the best PPG in the WHL by a Dman in 20 years.

As got Morrisey....yup...had a great 18 year old season. Then had a much worse 19 year old season getting 38 points in 47 games.

It doesn't matter in the end. You guys want and will keep Connor, we will do hand same with Sanheim. And both fanbases will be quite happy.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad