Flyers 2017 Training Camp Discussion Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That TK-Couturier-Weise line is pretty gross. That would be going against top lines? I hope we don't actually see that line in action.

Who was Weise - Couts - Schenn going up against last year when they were our best line?

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
How I imagine the organisational rosters from top to bottom play out after camp:

Royals:

Whitmore -- Swavely -- Willows
Penny -- Naclerio -- Krushelnyski
Goulbourne -- Tanski -- Schmidt
Wilkins -- Huntebrinker -- Salhany
Romig
Tiefenwerth

Zajac -- Luukko
Segalla - Leduc
De Haas -- Hora
Posa - Golightly

Muse
Dekanich

I appreciate the depth of your analysis, going all the way to the ECHL. Only 10 forwards dress in this league though, so they will be using the three scratches, plus two inactive spots, and someone would have to go on 21 day IR to avoid any cuts. After the first month there would be another cut when the active roster goes down to 20. Likely there will be injuries somewhere along the way that clear another spot, or hopefully LV holds on to an another extra player so Reading doesn't have to make that cut.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Who was Weise - Couts - Schenn going up against last year when they were our best line?

I know Dale Weise is your ray of sunshine, but ideally I don't want to see him getting top minutes every night against other top lines. He's a non-entity, and it's a waste. That line was all Couturier and Schenn anyway, with their admittedly strong chemistry. So that's irrelevant, unless you're trying to argue that the chemistry of Weise and Couturier was the driver of that line and Schenn was the fungible piece (you probably are).

I love him but Konecny struggles defensively. If he were on Coots's line it's fine, but you need a stronger presence on the other wing then to off-set him. I also don't want to see him at LW if he can be on the RW. The lines the first go-around were a lot better, minus your boy.

Konecny-Couturier-Weise is a blender line that makes little sense.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I think they certainly have every intention to give Sanheim a shot to earn a spot. He just hasn't made the most of it so far in his two preseason games.

He was either going to be on the team or not, it wasn't ever dependent on his play during the preseason...

That isn't what Hextall means by "earn a spot". He means that a prospect has to be better than the others competing for the spot, they don't get spots based on hype or draft position. And that's judged based on scouting during the previous season... not a handful of cluster**** preseason games.

Same reason as why he doesn't do the whole 9 game trial stuff, he's said that sample size is too small and you can't accurately gauge how a player will perform months from now based on their play in a few games.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
I think it's a line that happened cause Simmonds wasn't skating.

Leier took Simmonds lineup spot.
Think Weise-Couts is a thing. The other winger will come down to who doesn't have chemistry with G and Lindblom

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Filppula averaged 17+ minutes as a Flyer last season. It's hard for me to see him as a 4th liner/healthy scratch this season.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Konecny-Couturier-Weise is a blender line that makes little sense.

It makes about as much sense as Raffl instead of Weise.
Both play similar roles, both are good at possession, Raffl is better defensively and along the boards, Weise is better in front of the net.

Konency should be stronger and smarter this year, there's no reason he can't be a decent defensive forward, I mean, it's not like Schenn was a world beater in that regard.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Filppula averaged 17+ minutes as a Flyer last season. It's hard for me to see him as a 4th liner/healthy scratch this season.

Agreed, but a) he isn't part of the Flyers plan going forward and won't be a flyer next year b) where do you put him? and c) Hexy made a bad investment in Weise and Hexy prob feels the need to squeeze everything out of him he can.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
It makes about as much sense as Raffl instead of Weise.
Both play similar roles, both are good at possession, Raffl is better defensively and along the boards, Weise is better in front of the net.

You can't get to say "both are good at possession" as if they're equals. Weise was a tire fire for almost all of his first 8 years, then posted a huge positive in a 15-game sample size in Chicago and had one good year last year. Raffl is excellent from a possession standpoint. Weise had one good year (which still doesn't touch Raffl's best or even second best) and would we really claim he was particularly good last year?

If one year is all you need, Raffl is a good goal scorer, just like Voracek. Absurd, right?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Problem is which Raffl are we going to get, the beat up player from last year or the solid winger from 2-3 years ago?
We've seen this with Read, where he once gave you steady play over 82 games, now you get a week or two at a time.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Raffl wasn't beat up last year.... where is this coming from?

He was out for a while with an injury, but when playing he wasn't any different.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
I am fine with Couturier and Wise but that line needs someone that can shoot the puck and Voracek is not it.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He was pretty bad for a 20+ game stretch IIRC.

Playing bad and physically breaking down are two different things though... I don't think it was the latter.

And if playing bad for a long stretch means someone is breaking down then our entire team, save Provorov, is ****ed. :laugh:

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Playing bad and physically breaking down are two different things though... I don't think it was the latter.

And if playing bad for a long stretch means someone is breaking down then our entire team, save Provorov, is ****ed. :laugh:

Oh yeah I misunderstood..he was physically fine..just playing bad..though mostly everyone did for a solid 2 months.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Oh yeah I misunderstood..he was physically fine..just playing bad..though mostly everyone did for a solid 2 months.

Yeah, exactly. That two month period was unsustainably bad. It might be different if it was an individual player, but when it's the whole team... just a fluke.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I don't want either one in the top 9. They make good 4th liners who can contribute offensively and be steady defensively.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I think Raffl is still the 6th best winger on this team. Have no issue with him in the top 9. Especially if he plays like yesterday, which is what he's done most of his career. Raffl-Couturier-Voracek has long been a great line. Or even next to Patrick to give him a mega possession boost and 2-way play (if Weal regresses there or is elsewhere in the lineup).

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Raffl's an excellent forchecker. If he's on his game I prefer him to Filppula as a winger for Patrick as well. But I'm really quite ill of seeing him play with our primary scorers. Offensively speaking, he was always just a guy who could jump up into the top-6 for a short stint because of his forchecking and possession strengths, but he's proven to be limited in scoring roles, at least for our ideal purpose of being a playoff worthy team. I've always been waiting for the luxury of using his skills to float a 3rd line that needs him more than our already best ES combo of Couts/Jake. We have other guys who appear more ideal for those scoring opportunities now and his game would be ideal to support Patrick.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
You can't get to say "both are good at possession" as if they're equals. Weise was a tire fire for almost all of his first 8 years, then posted a huge positive in a 15-game sample size in Chicago and had one good year last year. Raffl is excellent from a possession standpoint. Weise had one good year (which still doesn't touch Raffl's best or even second best) and would we really claim he was particularly good last year?

If one year is all you need, Raffl is a good goal scorer, just like Voracek. Absurd, right?

I'm not following your Weise assessment. He broke out-ish with the Canadiens (55 pts over 2 seasons) and was a regular top-6 with them. He was, as I remember, a non-entity with Chicago, with a 0-1-1 in his 15 games there.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I think Raffl is still the 6th best winger on this team. Have no issue with him in the top 9. Especially if he plays like yesterday, which is what he's done most of his career. Raffl-Couturier-Voracek has long been a great line. Or even next to Patrick to give him a mega possession boost and 2-way play (if Weal regresses there or is elsewhere in the lineup).

There's definitely a place for Raffl in the top 9, but if Raffl-Couturier-Voracek are a line, who's going to score after they cycle it for 10 minutes?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I'm not following your Weise assessment. He broke out-ish with the Canadiens (55 pts over 2 seasons) and was a regular top-6 with them. He was, as I remember, a non-entity with Chicago, with a 0-1-1 in his 15 games there.

Pretty sure Jojo is referring to Weise's possession stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad