Flyers 2017 Training Camp Discussion Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
No there is no rule, but it's incredibly unlikely while he is at a camp.

I figured it would be unlikely, but since I can't remember it ever happening, made me think that somehow the Flyers had his "temporary" rights or something odd.

Bill_Meltzer

Jan 28, 2005
I figured it would be unlikely, but since I can't remember it ever happening, made me think that somehow the Flyers had his "temporary" rights or something odd.

Any team can sign him but Flyers have the inside track. Actually, there were a few scouts at the Rookie Game.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
A Morin - MacDonald 3rd pairing seems about right.

Ghost had to go through being paired with Farmer and Provorov had to drag him around last season.
I would except to see Morin or Hagg paired with MacDonald this season as is standard customary rookie hazing on the Flyers defense.

If a defensemen is good enough to carry MacDonald for a full season then it shows Hextall that player is good enough to play in the NHL.

If Morin, Hagg, Sanheim, Myers and Friedman want to earn a spot on the Flyers roster then they are all gonna have to show that they can be competitive enough while carrying MacDonald's dead weight around the ice.

Wow, the hate for Amac is amazing. While I too see him as "not very good" I don't think he's the hot trash most do.

There is a very valid reason for why he gets paired with the rookies, his experience and how he communicates on the ice. It's actually good (or at least PERCEIVED as being good) for their development. He can help them learn to read the play at the NHL level. For this reason, I expect for one of the rookies to get paired with him again this year and for us to keep him next year and place another rookie with him then. I may not like it, but it's what I think is likely to happen.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
MacDonald is pretty bad. The Flyers are better team with him off it.

I don't disagree, but it seems to me that management sees him as a valuable asset to help mentor the rookies on defense. I can understand their position even if I don't agree with it

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
MacDonald was bad at training camp from what I saw.

The dude is bad at everything and I hate when people defend him like he's "useful"

He's not at all.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
MacDonald isn't bad, he's mediocre, a 3rd pair D-man.
We've had worse over the last decade.

If he was making what Schultz made last year, there would be no griping, we'd just see him as veteran filler until some kid takes his job.

Once the kids have experience, the top 4 will be Provorov, Gudas, Ghost and ???, and MacDonald, Hagg/Myers/Friedman/(Morin or Sanheim) will be battling for the last two spots in 2018-19.

With two years left on his contract, I'd expect Hextall to eat half and move him to a team for a nominal return next summer, at 2yr/$5M someone will want him for depth.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Wow, the hate for Amac is amazing. While I too see him as "not very good" I don't think he's the hot trash most do.

There is a very valid reason for why he gets paired with the rookies, his experience and how he communicates on the ice. It's actually good (or at least PERCEIVED as being good) for their development. He can help them learn to read the play at the NHL level. For this reason, I expect for one of the rookies to get paired with him again this year and for us to keep him next year and place another rookie with him then. I may not like it, but it's what I think is likely to happen.

Every word of this is wrong.

MacDonald is trash.

The only lessons to be learned from him are as follows:

How to give up the blueline 101
How to lose your man 101
How to turn the puck over 101

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
I've heard there are supposed to be cuts between the end of Sunday's game and the beginning of the split squad games on Wednesday I wonder who gets axed.

The Flyers started with 61 players on the training camp roster but have 56 left on the TC roster after the cuts to Frost, Ratcliffe, Strome and Sushko and the injury to Stolarz.

I'd would expect the next few cuts to be G Irving, LD De Haas, RD Hora, RD Lamarche, LW Goulbourne and LW Hulak.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
MacDonald isn't bad, he's mediocre, a 3rd pair D-man.
We've had worse over the last decade.

If he was making what Schultz made last year, there would be no griping, we'd just see him as veteran filler until some kid takes his job.

Once the kids have experience, the top 4 will be Provorov, Gudas, Ghost and ???, and MacDonald, Hagg/Myers/Friedman/(Morin or Sanheim) will be battling for the last two spots in 2018-19.

With two years left on his contract, I'd expect Hextall to eat half and move him to a team for a nominal return next summer, at 2yr/$5M someone will want him for depth.

We would still complain even if he was paid less, but hes paid like a #3 and hes more like an ahl top pairing

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I've heard there are supposed to be cuts between the end of Sunday's game and the beginning of the split squad games on Wednesday I wonder who gets axed.

The Flyers started with 61 players on the training camp roster but have 56 left on the TC roster after the cuts to Frost, Ratcliffe, Strome and Sushko and the injury to Stolarz.

I'd would expect the next few cuts to be G Irving, LD De Haas, RD Hora, RD Lamarche, LW Goulbourne and LW Hulak.

They have a split squad on Wednesday, so I don't think Irving will be cut. Cut is kind of just a word, they're going to use the guys they want to use as they deem necessary.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Lindblom-Giroux-Voracek
Konecny-Couturier-Weise
Weal-Patrick-Leier
Raffl-Laughton-Read
Lethera-Flippula-McDonald

Simmers not skating

Last edited:

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Seems like they really like the idea of Weal - Patrick - Simmonds, and I couldn't agree more. That line has a little bit of everything and is basically tailor made to be a line with a lot of ozone starts against 2nd and 3rd D pairs.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Seems like they really like the idea of Weal - Patrick - Simmonds, and I couldn't agree more. That line has a little bit of everything and is basically tailor made to be a line with a lot of ozone starts against 2nd and 3rd D pairs.

Agreed. Weal-Simmer with Flip were good last year as well.

A top 6 of 28,93,54,11,14, 22 (one isn't like the rest) is decent as well if balanced properly.

I have no idea how the 4 line shakes out. Raffl and Flippula have to be 100% locks. I have a feeling that they are going to try and sell the idea of being a 4C to Flippula by pairing him with lethera and asking him to "kick start your buddies game". I can't see him taking that well tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad