Flyers 2017 Training Camp Discussion Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They also seem to want to keep Weise with Couts.
Each line would have it's "mucker", Lindblom, Simmonds, Weise, Raffl.

MV should ask to play RW in Allentown, b/c that's the "hole" on the 4th line if Read doesn't hold up. That's his best route to a quick callup.

With Vorobyev showing so well, won't suprise me if Hextall tries to move Filppula or Lehtera (eating some money) if Laughton makes the team - even with Vorobyev starting in the AHL, he's only an hour away as the "5th center."

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Poor Leier is going to get caught in a numbers game.

Leier window has closed. What does he bring to the line up that 5 other can't bring? Laughton has more skill, Read is safer and staff is more familiar, Vecchione seems like a better rounded player, McD is a better 4th liner, and not to mention Voro, who if it wasn't for his age would be a top call up candidate.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
They also seem to want to keep Weise with Couts.
Each line would have it's "mucker", Lindblom, Simmonds, Weise, Raffl.

MV should ask to play RW in Allentown, b/c that's the "hole" on the 4th line if Read doesn't hold up. That's his best route to a quick callup.

With Vorobyev showing so well, won't suprise me if Hextall tries to move Filppula or Lehtera (eating some money) if Laughton makes the team - even with Vorobyev starting in the AHL, he's only an hour away as the "5th center."

Retaining cap and trading Flippula makes sense if you can sell high, but eating money on Lethera makes little to no sense yet. He prob has no value and has yrs left. Might as well keep him and hope for a bounce back year and then re-evaluate next year (buyout or retain 50%)

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Agreed. Weal-Simmer with Flip were good last year as well.

A top 6 of 28,93,54,11,14, 22 (one isn't like the rest) is decent as well if balanced properly.

I have no idea how the 4 line shakes out. Raffl and Flippula have to be 100% locks. I have a feeling that they are going to try and sell the idea of being a 4C to Flippula by pairing him with lethera and asking him to "kick start your buddies game". I can't see him taking that well tho.

I personally want to see if Filppula can play on Couturier's LW with either Voracek or Konecny on the RW. I'm not sold on Weise getting that much ES ice time (any line with Coots will get nearly the most ES ice time). He's better suited to the 4th line. I also view Raffl as a better option on that line than Weise.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
I personally want to see if Filppula can play on Couturier's LW with either Voracek or Konecny on the RW. I'm not sold on Weise getting that much ES ice time (any line with Coots will get nearly the most ES ice time). He's better suited to the 4th line. I also view Raffl as a better option on that line than Weise.

I agree with Weise doesn't belong their long term, but I think it's smart to start him there to see if last year was chemistry or fluke

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Tony Androckitis pointed out on twitter these groups will get mixed up for the split squad games on Wednesday because of the NHL veteran rule.

backburner

May 6, 2011
NJ, USA
It's strange to me I can't stream the preseason games on nhl tv YET the islanders stream was on islanders / nhl.com. You would think they could add it to their stream list.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Weise is actually a better player on a scoring line than a checking line.
2014-15: 79g 10-19 29 +21 all ES
2015-16: 56g 14-12 26 (11-9 ES)
then is traded to Chicago, checking role, 15g 0-1 1
Similar to last year
4th line role: 48g 2-4 6 -8
w/ Couts: 14g 6-4 10 +7

He scored in Montreal, then played similar in Chicago as he did in Philly without a real center. So given his track record, he is credible as a 30+ ES scorer paired with Couts.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Weise was used in a scoring role for most of last season. He just didn't start scoring till March.

Read and Lyubimov were the guys tasked with playing RW with VdV and PEB on the 4th line/checking line most of the time.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Weise was used in a scoring role for most of last season. He just didn't start scoring till March.

Read and Lyubimov were the guys tasked with playing RW with VdV and PEB on the 4th line/checking line most of the time.

We only had two real centers, Schenn was a "fail" in that role.
Weise didn't play with a real center until he was paired with Couts.
Like Raffl, he's not offensively skilled, but he complements offensively skilled linemates.

When you look at Weise's performance in Montreal, his play with Couts is closer to his norm. And he's one of our better possession guys.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I think Weise has proven over the majority of his career that, save for two or three hot streaks, he's pretty close to a waiver wire caliber player. I have no desire for him to play 2nd line wing for any significant length of time.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Weise scored at a higher rate with Couturier. So did every other winger.

Who are you quoting when you say Schenn was a fail in the role of center? If that's your opinion, it shouldn't be in quotation marks.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Lindblom-Giroux-Konecny
Raffl-Couturier-Voracek
Filppula-Patrick-Simmonds
Lehtera-Laughton-Weise
Read
McDonald
Leier
Bardeau
Vecchione
Equipment manager
Weal

boom, easy

No reason to staple Weise on to Couturier. Anyone there will do fine, the goal isn't to get Weise points.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Did Weal play with Couturier at all last year? I would be intrigued to see how that works

But a Raffl-Coots-Voracek line...good luck getting the puck from them

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
What's the word on Derek Hulak, I know he was invited to training camp and was on the TC roster but I haven't seen him on the ice at all. Is he injured or was he an early cut.

With the cuts to Salinitri and Hora that should put the TC roster at 53 players, if Hulak is indeed cut from the training camp roster.

budscweizer16

Jun 14, 2004
Prospect Park(outsid
Practice Schedule

Does any1 have access or know of a place I can get an up to date flyers practice, or training camp schedule?(i hope im not missing it somewhere on these boards) Id like to get to a practice this week or next preferably. Any help would be appreciated.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
That TK-Couturier-Weise line is pretty gross. That would be going against top lines? I hope we don't actually see that line in action.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I think they certainly have every intention to give Sanheim a shot to earn a spot. He just hasn't made the most of it so far in his two preseason games.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Perhaps, unless they just needed an extra to round out the D pairs. I'd like to think Sanheim has a legitimate shot vs Hagg, but who knows?

This is professional sports. They know well ahead of training camp who is going to be on the team unless someone on the bubble is completely lights out. Sanheim was likely the 1st call up coming into the season and thats probably why he is getting an extra look. He will likely be up permanent before the end of the year but it looked like the plan was for him to start in the AHL before camp started and will probably be after camp as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad