Florida Panthers completely changing jersey (logo leaked post 661)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
When people have a disagreement over something opinionated, typically one person thinks the other is wrong about it.

I am not saying that Panthers fans are stupid or have no sense of aesthetics. I am saying that I think saying "just go with what they had in the Bure era" is unfortunate because I don't think they have ever had a good set of jerseys.

If a Panthers fan loves any or all their jerseys, I won't look down on them for it. I myself have loved many off the wall and what many consider terrible jerseys (Phoenix Picasso jerseys, St. Louis Red Bonanza jerseys). I won't think people are condescending if they think my opinion on those jerseys is wrong from an aesthetic perspective.

Yeah, well you know, that's just like your opinion, man... It appears you simply don't like the uniform. Which is fine, but without some type of reasoning or comment at to why the design has issues it seems like nothing more than an opinion.

I believe the Panthers second uniform set was a very good design - if not perfect. Most fans of the team and a lot graphic designers would agree with me.

The colour scheme is perfect for a sports team in Florida. It's sunny and warm without looking washed out thanks to the addition of navy blue. It's also a red white and blue palette which is very traditional in sports yet at the same time not generic because of the gold. Very few sports teams in North America use the same scheme and probably even fewer would pull it off because its difficult to work with.

The other thing that is interesting about the original set is how well that colour scheme was balanced. Red and gold are easily washed out and blue and gold do not work well on a red background for sports teams but this set works because they were careful with how the stripes and letter plates were laid out.

The current set unfortunately suffers does not have this same colour balance. The blue piping on the roads is extraneous and breaks the basic 2 colour stripe rule. On the home the gold and blue do not fit with the red background at all. It looks jarring and unattractive looking to the eye. This set is probably why the new owners want to rebrand. If all you knew about the Panthers was this uniform you'd think it was a mess, which it is.

The old logo is beauty though and it has history, which can't be replaced even though it may not be filled with championships. It doesn't look generic like the half dozen other panther or cat logos that are out there. The brown colour is also a win because it's unique and it contrasts very well to all their base uniforms.

The Dangly One

Dangle dangle goal
Jun 13, 2011
0203-mattmcelroy-fla1.png

Not a fan.

Hmm. I dunno. A little to dark of colors I think. They dont wow me, but they could do worse.

Evil Janney

Jul 12, 2004

The Away jersey compliments the logo better than the Home. The white on the neck of the Panther along with the white on the jersey allows for the darker colors on the logo to stand out more, giving the roaring panther a more aggressive look. On the Home jersey the Panther gets suppressed by all the red. There's not much on the Home version to accent the logo.

Gormo

Holupchi
Nov 12, 2010
I approve.

I didnt like either the logo or the colors at first, but the colors have definitely grown on me.

The ugly logo most certainly has not. A welcome change.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Jersey looks good but a shield with the roaring panther looks out of place.

Sureshot

Thumbs up, soldier!
Apr 7, 2009
Color scheme is alright, the logo isn't the best though. The panther looks like it's peering out of the window shouting 'GET OFF MY LAWN!'

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
So they're taking a cool uniform/logo with a long history, and trading it for something really lame?

This.

You don't build history and stable teams in expansion markets by changing an already not too old logo that is well liked. It is to be honest pretty much one of two-three logos since expansion 92 that actually works (Sharks the other one and perhaps Colorado).

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Yeah, well you know, that's just like your opinion, man... It appears you simply don't like the uniform. Which is fine, but without some type of reasoning or comment at to why the design has issues it seems like nothing more than an opinion.

I believe the Panthers second uniform set was a very good design - if not perfect. Most fans of the team and a lot graphic designers would agree with me.

The colour scheme is perfect for a sports team in Florida. It's sunny and warm without looking washed out thanks to the addition of navy blue. It's also a red white and blue palette which is very traditional in sports yet at the same time not generic because of the gold. Very few sports teams in North America use the same scheme and probably even fewer would pull it off because its difficult to work with.

The other thing that is interesting about the original set is how well that colour scheme was balanced. Red and gold are easily washed out and blue and gold do not work well on a red background for sports teams but this set works because they were careful with how the stripes and letter plates were laid out.

The current set unfortunately suffers does not have this same colour balance. The blue piping on the roads is extraneous and breaks the basic 2 colour stripe rule. On the home the gold and blue do not fit with the red background at all. It looks jarring and unattractive looking to the eye. This set is probably why the new owners want to rebrand. If all you knew about the Panthers was this uniform you'd think it was a mess, which it is.

The old logo is beauty though and it has history, which can't be replaced even though it may not be filled with championships. It doesn't look generic like the half dozen other panther or cat logos that are out there. The brown colour is also a win because it's unique and it contrasts very well to all their base uniforms.

That post was from two months ago.

As far as their second uniform set being good and how graphic designers would agree with you, I know of others who also are involved with graphics who hate the jersey as well, so there is that.

As far as "rationale" behind me not liking the jersey. I don't think that the jerseys have a good balance of color, particularly the white jerseys. As far as the logo, I have stated many times the logo is much too complext without providing any more to the actual logo itself. I preferred the head by itself because it demonstrated what the team was named and didn't need to add a bunch of details to further demonstrate it. The entire body is just superfluous, and the legs which are shown in the perspective that they are just make the logo itself feel very unbalanced as well (due to them being very small and extending out from the head and paws). That is what separates the great logos from the bad ones. Extraneous details which do not add to the overall aesthetic of the logo.

I think the new jerseys take a lot of what was bad about the old jerseys (as in their original set) and improve upon them.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
I kinda like it, but instead of the panther head coming out of a shield and 'panthers' written, how about a big 'P' instead and the panther head coming out of that? It would be a bit more classic and also original in today's NHL at the same time.

Axe Man

Sponsor
Jul 31, 2009
Nearby
I think they look pretty nice. The logo isn't bad either. It's simple and clean not overdone.

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
Important to note that that's just a concept submission, with an artists representation based on the tweets sent out. That certainly won't be the logo, the artist wouldn't have access to it, and while the jerseys are possibly decently close based on the provided information, they might not be exact.

Last edited:

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Gag :eek: Kill it with fire! :shakehead

Yeah, pretty strong hint that I'm not a fan. :laugh:

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
These are ****ing awful. There current jerseys are already pretty good to begin with

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
This.

You don't build history and stable teams in expansion markets by changing an already not too old logo that is well liked. It is to be honest pretty much one of two-three logos since expansion 92 that actually works (Sharks the other one and perhaps Colorado).

History? They haven't made the playoffs in like a decade. Good time for the team to rebrand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad