Flint Firebirds 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Add in a man who literally hasn't been able to do a thing other than provide an annual operating budget for almost 3 years now? No at this point it is on the League and Branch.
We just simply disagree about Rolf. Him even owning the team has scouts directing players away from Flint. I guess you disagree with this and that is your right.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
We just simply disagree about Rolf. Him even owning the team has scouts directing players away from Flint. I guess you disagree with this and that is your right.
Ok now you seem to be putting words in my mouth. I haven't actually said a thing concerning what I think about Nilson. What I have said is what I think about the league running this team and who bears the responsibility for it's current state. You are making a few unfounded assumptions about what I do or do not think about Nilson.

superdee

Oct 17, 2015
Good for Rolf. He has spent a lot of money to bring hockey back to Flint. Maybe once he is reinstated he can hire people and let them do their job and learn from his mistakes. A mistake is only a mistake until it is corrected. If he decides to sell hopefully somebody there can step up and make it work. If he decides to stay hopefully he will hire hockey people and let them do their job. I like the arena, the fans, the team and the city so I am all in for whatever works out for you guys. I will always try to come there when the Knights are in town. We stay over night, eat and support local businesses which benefits everyone. Just me insight from Knights Fan.

AnotherDimwit

Sep 13, 2007
Grand Blanc, MI
Yeah at this point I think they should just give the team back to Rolf at this point and let him do what he does. If he sells it to another ownership and they move it, so be it, that would likely be the outcome if the league forced his hand and made him sell. I think at this point the best case for Flint is that Rolf wants to rebuild that reputation and he puts his efforts into making this a success. I don't see an ownership group coming into Flint and keep it so we're in with Rolf...and at this point would he be worse than BB and the OHL running it? Hard to see that.

You know its funny...I was so adamant against the team being named the Tropics when they moved here, but in hindsight it would have been the right choice. Either way, I think if the team does survive here in Flint, they should re-brand the team name and uniforms. They've been a nightmare as the Firebirds, more a bird caught on fire than a rebirth from the ashes, ie a phoenix.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Good for Rolf. He has spent a lot of money to bring hockey back to Flint. Maybe once he is reinstated he can hire people and let them do their job and learn from his mistakes. A mistake is only a mistake until it is corrected. If he decides to sell hopefully somebody there can step up and make it work. If he decides to stay hopefully he will hire hockey people and let them do their job. I like the arena, the fans, the team and the city so I am all in for whatever works out for you guys. I will always try to come there when the Knights are in town. We stay over night, eat and support local businesses which benefits everyone. Just me insight from Knights Fan.
At this point, I wish they would hand the team back to Rolf because I believe it's the only way that we'll have an idea of what his plans for the team are beyond this year. Of course, the league itself probably already knows, they so won't have the same motivation. The irony is that he probably could be a great owner after this year, but his motivation for being an owner at all won't be there.

Thank you for your kind words about the area, Superdee.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
The only thing we have seen of Rolf as owner was meddling with the coach and players. If reinstated, he better get someone better than Terry Christenson and Costa Papista.

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
I believe those two have left the organization. I did see on the scout directory there is a Kyle Branch listed as a scout. Please don't tell me this is another Branch family member!!

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
Whenever expansion is discussed, there's the inevitable conclusion that there just are not that many locations that are capable of supporting an OHL team. While I fully realize that Flint is NOT an expansion team, they have proven to be a viable location. It would be a shame to waste such an opportunity, and valuable market.

The Commissioner has a feduciary responsibility in preserving and maintaining the integrity of this franchise. That responsibility fell onto HIS shoulders the minute that he suspended Rolf, and placed the franchise in trusteeship. At the time that the league took over, the team had an established fan base ( attendance records ) and seasons ticket subscribers. Those are quantifiable numbers. It would be interesting to see if those numbers have remained the same, increased, or decreased, under the league's stewardship. If they've shown a significant decrease, then the quality of the league's supervision and due dilligence have to be questioned.

The fans have done their part in supporting this team. It remains to be seen just how positively David Branch and the league governors have been toward supporting this team and location.

The quality of the on-ice performance of the present team is DIRECTLY RELATED to the quality of the management team. It isn't a reflection on the owner.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
I believe those two have left the organization. I did see on the scout directory there is a Kyle Branch listed as a scout. Please don't tell me this is another Branch family member!!
Dave Branch has a son Kyle yes

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Yeah at this point I think they should just give the team back to Rolf at this point and let him do what he does. If he sells it to another ownership and they move it, so be it, that would likely be the outcome if the league forced his hand and made him sell. I think at this point the best case for Flint is that Rolf wants to rebuild that reputation and he puts his efforts into making this a success. I don't see an ownership group coming into Flint and keep it so we're in with Rolf...and at this point would he be worse than BB and the OHL running it? Hard to see that.

You know its funny...I was so adamant against the team being named the Tropics when they moved here, but in hindsight it would have been the right choice. Either way, I think if the team does survive here in Flint, they should re-brand the team name and uniforms. They've been a nightmare as the Firebirds, more a bird caught on fire than a rebirth from the ashes, ie a phoenix.
Was never going to be Tropics...ever

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Hey guys, can one of you guys tell me..... how good is Fedor Gordeev defensively?? I see the offensive talent, just don’t see the defense in highlights

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015

Firebirds fans.....come over to Sarnia for Friday's game. 2 tickets, 2 beers and 2 hot dogs for $49 +tax

Nice arena and an easy drive, too. Have made it over a couple of times in the past few seasons. I will get over to Sarnia sometime this year, but it won't be this Friday.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Can't believe those tickets have a kid who has dropped the gloves for a scrap on them. Not in this league anymore.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016

Tropics would be an even more comical name now. Pretty soon Hakons going to be doing the intermission entertainment cage wrestling a bear.

Reactions: icuwoot

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Cheers for the likes man You guys know you’re hockey fans. Really hope things get better for you guys one way or another.
It would be nice to have just a small amount of ownership security and quality management so that Flint could be on a path to becoming one of the classic, storied OHL cities like Sudbury. The AHL is fine. ECHL could almost do in a pinch. An NCAA D1 team wouldn't be bad but the OHL is the league I've always wanted in Flint. Even in its current "softened" state. It's gonna be sad if Rolf Nilsen and the OHL drop the ball on this one because it's a good fit and great rival for Saginaw and to a lesser extent Sarnia who both could also use a little help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad