Flint Firebirds 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
Is it just me or does anyone else notice that #41 doesn't hustle or seem like he even wants to be there?

Reactions: domi55us

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Doubt they will report
That is the problem:
... We will have to trade because the #1 overall will not report
... Get more draft picks, then trade them
... Kick the can down the road a few more years
... We will keep losing

And the ugly cycle continues until Rolf is no longer the owner.

Last edited:

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Is it just me or does anyone else notice that #41 doesn't hustle or seem like he even wants to be there?
I hadn't really noticed it out of him early on. I was impressed with his vision and ability to distribute the puck. The kid can pass. He's also really good handling the puck in tight situations. I thought criticizing him early on while the team was struggling was a bit ridiculous. When your team is 0-15 you don't point the finger at the 16yo. That's on quite few others before it's on him. After you and MJ5 pointed it out though, yeah that kid refuses to take more than 4-5 strides in a row. No effort on back checking. I hadn't noticed but he certainly has the appearance of someone who doesn't care. At U17's he put up the exact same stats as Quinton Byfield and Will Cuylle. Really small sample size but it makes you wonder. Someone should point out to him that last night Emmanuel Vella tied him in scoring. Matching his offensive output but in fewer games, so Vella now has a better ppg than him. He's being out worked and out played by his new line mate Jacob Winterton, that's for sure.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint

Haven't been a fan of him all season.

He hasn't skated from day 1. Just looks lazy out there.

Like savard said, he's skilled when he has the puck, just won't work for it.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Haven't been a fan of him all season.

He hasn't skated from day 1. Just looks lazy out there.

Like savard said, he's skilled when he has the puck, just won't work for it.
He was the laziest skater that I saw in all of Rookie Camp, let alone the Main Camp, and I haven't seen anything from him since to convince me otherwise.

(...Damn, I hated to type that...)

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
The messed up part is that in April, Flint had the 6th overall Import pick. The 2nd overall Priority pick. The 22nd overall Priority pick and the 32nd overall Priority pick. All they have to show for that is Michael Bianconi, a solid 16yo D and a kid who is basically non-existant on the ice. Throw in the most injuries I've seen since Windsor's 2016-17 season, maybe worse and you get 3 wins. If you think about it and include dropping the ball on Jenik, it's a team missing their entire top line right now. Dellandrea-Roberts-Jenik. Throw in,2-3 missing D on a nightly basis...

Last edited:

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
Good to see it’s not just me. Chosen second overall one would think he would be bringing a lot more to his game. I’m hearing BB made a lot of promises to Vierling just to get him to report. For curiosity, I went and compared Vierling to the top 5 drafted overall in 2018. To date, Byfield at 15 pts, Vierling 1 pt, Cuylle 12 pts, Drysdale 12 pts, and Perfetti 15 pts.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Vierling has been a failed pick for Flint so far, as was Jenik, and Power. Bianconi isn’t looking to good either. These were not just BB picks, but McFarlan and Stefan picks. The Jenik and Power picks are still unforgivable. This season they have failed as an OHL franchise. David Branch shares in the blame.

house hockey 98

Apr 8, 2018
Guys you have to do your home work.. Vierling was attractive as he had the points playing along side of Byfield plain a simple.. Not in even in the same discussion with Stranges, Cuylle, Drysdale, Perfetti, Perrault, and many more.. I had my first look at him before the draft and was surprised Flint took him with the 2nd pick..

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Guys you have to do your home work.. Vierling was attractive as he had the points playing along side of Byfield plain a simple.. Not in even in the same discussion with Stranges, Cuylle, Drysdale, Perfetti, Perrault, and many more.. I had my first look at him before the draft and was surprised Flint took him with the 2nd pick..
Most scouts, not all, had Flint selecting Veirling.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Vierling has been a failed pick for Flint so far, as was Jenik, and Power. Bianconi isn’t looking to good either. These were not just BB picks, but McFarlan and Stefan picks. The Jenik and Power picks are still unforgivable. This season they have failed as an OHL franchise. David Branch shares in the blame.
Bianconi has been pretty good considering the situation. He's 16. He's going to be good. He's playing solid now, 20 games into his first season. What would your complaints about him even be? You can't really call Powers a failed pick just YET either. Bode Wilde didn't report as a 16 or 17yo for Saginaw. Is he a failed pick? Can't be certain how much of this was on BB, Stefan and McParlane either. I suspect that BB might have had more input on the top of the draft and less later on. Also, did Vierling play alongside Byfield or were they spending a lot of time as the 1c and 2C? Which would still mean he wasn't facing the oppositions top lines regularly. I'm not sure it's as simple as just looking good because of Byfield. I mean Messier and Federov didn't look good just because they had Gretzky and Yzerman y'know? Not to mention when they went to the U17 tournament with teams that were similar in talent, Vierling put up the exact same stats as Byfield and Cuylle. I'm not saying that coattail riding Byfield wasn't part of it. I'm just not certain it was, although watching him play gives that side of the argument little credibility.

Reactions: aresknights

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Yes Power is a failed pick this year. He isn't here and no assurances he ever will be. Comparing Vierling stats in the U17 (over the course of a few games) as compared to all their stats over 25 regular season games is just plain silly. That is like saying Bianconi's "1" regular season point in Flint is no better or worse than Vierling's "1" regular season point. Unlike some Flint fans, I have never said "I am done" or "I am finished". I still support our players, particularly those that DEAlook like they are giving 100%.

maninboat

Nov 14, 2018
Burton, Mi
That is the problem:
... We will keep losing

Am I wrong to assume Rolf has nothing to do with how the team is doing this year? It seems that the OHL braintrust should be in the best position to know how to achieve success in their own league. At least Rolf would have the motivation to succeed- it seems the current management hasn't been putting in a full effort.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Am I wrong to assume Rolf has nothing to do with how the team is doing this year? It seems that the OHL braintrust should be in the best position to know how to achieve success in their own league. At least Rolf would have the motivation to succeed- it seems the current management hasn't been putting in a full effort.
You are exactly correct.this is all on Branch and the league. Nilson shouldn't even be in the conversation about the state of the team at this point.

Reactions: maninboat

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
Has anyone even seen sightings of BB, JS or Rolf for that matter at any of the games lately?

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
You are exactly correct.this is all on Branch and the league. Nilson shouldn't even be in the conversation about the state of the team at this point.
Except for the fact scouts tell their players about management, ownership, and how things are run. No question the Branch's (dad and son) have done a horrible job too. Add in Rolf and you have one cataclysmic fail IMO.

Last edited:

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Except for the fact scouts tell their players about management, ownership, and how things are run. No question the Branch's (dad and son) have done a horrible job too. Add in Rolf and you have one cataclysmic fail IMO.

Add in a man who literally hasn't been able to do a thing other than provide an annual operating budget for almost 3 years now? No at this point it is on the League and Branch.

Reactions: OSA and LDN

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
That is the problem:
... We will keep losing

If Shane Wright gets exceptional status, which I assume he will, he has to agree to go to whoever picks him in order to get the status granted. So if you finish last, you'll get Shane Wright for 4+ years

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
In all honesty how would you fix Flint?
If I knew how to fix the Firebirds I would probably be an entirely different line of work however it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the league running the team into the ground is s not how to do it. Either force an ownership change or hand it back to Nilson when he applies for reinstatement after this season is over. If he is serious about being a team owner he has the resources to repair his rep and bring in the right people to run it right. If he is not he will just sell anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad