Flint Firebirds 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
My gut tells me he won’t be back

Any kind of head injury is taken with a ton of precaution now. If hes not back in 10-14 days then I would start to lean that way. He was in the building. Gretz was in a sling.

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
I wouldn’t be so quick to judge until you have walked in those players shoes day in and day out.

Flint Hockey fan

Nov 15, 2018
I wouldn’t be so quick to judge until you have walked in those players shoes day in and day out.
Pretty easy to judge the lack of effort after 40 years of watching Flint Hockey. Half of the Team has already moved on to their next opportunity!

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Pretty easy to judge the lack of effort after 40 years of watching Flint Hockey. Half of the Team has already moved on to their next opportunity!

Hard to do that when they only have 1 signed player. None of those kids know where their next opportunity will be.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I mean, I just don't get the lack of effort or heart though. We've all played and/or had kids that played. Didn't like teammates. Didn't like coaches. Didn't like the organization. Didn't feel we were getting the playing time we deserved or whatever. You can't just say F it and put no effort in. I just can't imagine some of the plays that happen and being able to go into the locker room and look at Cavallin. I'd feel terrible about it and I wasn't even a D. It's his draft year and they are just leaving him out to dry all the time. They often don't stick up for teammates and make defensive miscues that make teammates look bad. The behind the scenes disfunction must be bad for them to play like that. Then throw in injuries which are just insane, short bench, the amount of losing. I mean overall play has been bad but 3 posts tonight? Just snake bit. No luck ever. I get that it's gotta be hard, but man can it be tough to watch. Every season ticket holder I talk to is done unless there's a serious ownership/management change. If it was just youth struggling and trying to improve, I'd be in. To watch half the boys just barely go through the motions night in and night out? I'm out. I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel with this group. I hope they get healthy and prove me wrong.

Reactions: Gensdef

FirebirdsFan21

Nov 25, 2017
Lack of effort is not the terminology I would even use. Lack of bodies is more like it. The team has been decimated by injuries.
Ty - Out Concussion
Gretz - Out Shoulder could be season ending
Connor - Out Shoulder could be season ending
McCourt back after missing 18 games
Busby - Out hasn't played a game yet.
Biaconi missed 7 games I believe with U-17
Vierling missed 7 games I believe with U-17. What happened to him last night? Didn't make it on the ice. Was in the line-up.

We haven't played with a full line-up all season. Rowe - complete waste of picks for him. Hope he turns around in Kingston. It is a dysfunctional situation but to put it on these kids that they are trying/playing is not the right thing to do. If they want out why tank it. If they want out shouldn't they be doing everything they can to increase their value.

On last nights game, defensive breakdowns were the key. 4-5 goals came on slam-dunk plays in the crease or on 2 on 1 plays. I can't fault Cavellin on a most of these but there was 1-2 goals that I believe he should have stopped. Which coach is responsible for our defensive play? Positioning has not been good all season and hasn't improved all that much since Wellwood has come on board. Some one needs to be responsible for putting players in correct positions.

Power-Play scored two more goals both from Durham. He now leads the team by a substantial major in goals.

In regards to being a season ticket holder, I enjoy going to the games. As does my family. Do I want them to win. Of course but no matter we support our boys. Win or lose, it shouldn't matter. This is a developmental league. Yeah, we want the boys to do on to further their playing careers but keep in mind that these are teenage boys that in essence have full time jobs and school 9 months out of the year. Before you are critical please think about what they must be going through as well. Think about what you were doing at that age... Were you working/training/being away from family as much as they are...

HealthyScratch1

Not Who You Think
Aug 4, 2016
Dort
The behind the scenes disfunction must be bad for them to play like that.
It is Savard!
However, I’m done beating this deadhorse any further cause it’s not going to change, as most of you already know. If this isn’t a known fact yet then I don’t know what to tell you. I feel bad for the boys, I really do. Unfortunately, Wellwood is in over his head.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

Hockey61fan

Oct 14, 2018
I have said it before and I will say it again.. in fact we have all said it

I feel for all the players and new coaching staff. I am sure none of them expected this when they accepted their position as coaches or players with the organization. This really gives them a bad feeling and reputation.

I am a true believer of we control our own destiny.

If players do not want to be there anymore than speak up. Same with coaches.

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
Many have spoken up, but I don't think many would be a consideration besides the obvious ones. Who knows, maybe some of the players have something in the works already. Like the above poster said, they are in control of their own destiny.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Lack of effort is not the terminology I would even use. Lack of bodies is more like it. The team has been decimated by injuries.
Ty - Out Concussion
Gretz - Out Shoulder could be season ending
Connor - Out Shoulder could be season ending
McCourt back after missing 18 games
Busby - Out hasn't played a game yet.
Biaconi missed 7 games I believe with U-17
Vierling missed 7 games I believe with U-17. What happened to him last night? Didn't make it on the ice. Was in the line-up.

We haven't played with a full line-up all season. Rowe - complete waste of picks for him. Hope he turns around in Kingston. It is a dysfunctional situation but to put it on these kids that they are trying/playing is not the right thing to do. If they want out why tank it. If they want out shouldn't they be doing everything they can to increase their value.

On last nights game, defensive breakdowns were the key. 4-5 goals came on slam-dunk plays in the crease or on 2 on 1 plays. I can't fault Cavellin on a most of these but there was 1-2 goals that I believe he should have stopped. Which coach is responsible for our defensive play? Positioning has not been good all season and hasn't improved all that much since Wellwood has come on board. Some one needs to be responsible for putting players in correct positions.

Power-Play scored two more goals both from Durham. He now leads the team by a substantial major in goals.

In regards to being a season ticket holder, I enjoy going to the games. As does my family. Do I want them to win. Of course but no matter we support our boys. Win or lose, it shouldn't matter. This is a developmental league. Yeah, we want the boys to do on to further their playing careers but keep in mind that these are teenage boys that in essence have full time jobs and school 9 months out of the year. Before you are critical please think about what they must be going through as well. Think about what you were doing at that age... Were you working/training/being away from family as much as they are...
We have been hit more than most teams with the injuries we have had. However, I am not convinced if all these players were back we would have many more wins than we currently have because the effort is just not consistently there this year from our top players to first and second year players, except for maybe Durham and a couple others.

Last edited:

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
I’ve crossed the border and am at this game tonight along with my cousin and a bunch of kids. I’m in a grey toque and navy blue jacket. Come over and say hi. We’re in section 17.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Congratulations Emmanuel Vella. You've strung together a couple really impressive performances. Really been nice to have McCourt back. He's gonna be really good once he's fully back into game shape/speed. I wonder how long Jake Durham can keep this up. Somebody else is going to have step up and produce some offense. Watching recently I've commented on lack of effort. Some of it does just look like lack of effort from some players, some shifts, some games. I think that might not best describe some of it though. I get the impression some of it isn't necessarily lack of effort, more just being mentally checked out. Brain isn't fully engaged and focused on the game. You've gotta be up and mentally ready to play, especially at this level. 3-5 over their last 8 is certainly a step in the right direction and should help on all fronts. Wellwood has certainly improved special teams. Discipline isn't perfect yet, but that's improved too.

Reactions: Tarantula

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
Some players really need to start passing more and stop trying to do it all on their own. There’s no I in TEAM as they say. They need to work on that, but good win for the boys.

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
Matters to me as a season ticket holder that goes to every game. Maybe as far as playoffs it doesnt, but i like to be entertained. Last nite i was.

Who knows? It does matter, maybe even playoff implications. Windsor is in a position where a loss of 2 points could mean a lower playoff position or even maybe not making the playoffs for the Spitfires..

Good job last night Firebirds, wins like last night make teams think twice figuring that playing Flint is an automatic two points. Just ask Sarnia, the Soo and now Windsor.

Reactions: Hockey61fan

Kenny Chu

Aug 19, 2018
Who knows? It does matter, maybe even playoff implications. Windsor is in a position where a loss of 2 points could mean a lower playoff position or even maybe not making the playoffs for the Spitfires..

Good job last night Firebirds, wins like last night make teams think twice figuring that playing Flint is an automatic two points. Just ask Sarnia, the Soo and now Windsor.
My point is there is no playoffs for this team, so tank and get the first pick overall, it will probably help for next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad