Flint Firebirds 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
The "nicest" seats in terms of price at the Dort are folding chairs. The entrance of the arena looks straight out of a 1970s airport terminal and have been to multiple games where there were bathroom stalls missing doors. They may have put that 7 million into the locker rooms and press box. But they could do alot more in was to help fan experiance. Which is critical with a meddling team. The Dort is by fair my least favorite arena to go to as an OHL traveling fan.

In addition, the arena is approaching 50 years and is due for a new ice making plant. If Nilsen won't even spend the $$$ to fix the parking lot how in the heck is he going to spend millions for pipes under the ice.

It is really a shame, places like Grand Rapids and Toledo played in really old "dumps" and today they have state of the art facilities bolstering their downtown's.

With the proximity from Detroit to Flint, Flint could and should have been either the AHL or ECHL affiliate for the Red Wings. That is not the case, the Red Wings won't even consider sending their prospects to Flint...that in itself tells of the sorry state of hockey in Flint.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
The "nicest" seats in terms of price at the Dort are folding chairs. The entrance of the arena looks straight out of a 1970s airport terminal and have been to multiple games where there were bathroom stalls missing doors. They may have put that 7 million into the locker rooms and press box. But they could do alot more in was to help fan experiance. Which is critical with a meddling team. The Dort is by fair my least favorite arena to go to as an OHL traveling fan.
Doesn't really matter what you think. The Dort is just fine for OHL play. Older than most OHL arena's, but no need for a $20-30 million dollar new arena.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Doesn't really matter what you think. The Dort is just fine for OHL play. Older than most OHL arena's, but no need for a $20-30 million dollar new arena.

No-one said you need a new $20 million dollar area. Hell, the Dow in Saginaw was only built 3 years after the Dort and OHL arena guide rated it in the top half of arenas in the OHL with the only major knock being the scoreboard that has since been replaced.

Your team struggles bringing fans into the building. FACT. The team sucking doesn't help, but come on. When you are dropping $20-26 per ticket and sitting in a folding chair no wonder more people arent showing up.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
We are struggle bringing fans in because this is our 4th consecutive year of having a losing record. We are 2-20-1. Note: not a soul complained about the condition of the Dort last year or the year before. If we were 20-2-1 we would be averaging well over 3,000. PS: you must be pretty upitty, because the cushioned folding chairs never once bothered ne.

Reactions: Gensdef and Packman

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
We are struggle bringing fans in because this is our 4th consecutive year of having a losing record. We are 2-20-1. Note: not a soul complained about the condition of the Dort last year or the year before. If we were 20-2-1 we would be averaging well over 3,000. PS: you must be pretty upitty, because the cushioned folding chairs never once bothered ne.

Seeing as you are still defending how team ownership spends thier money doesnt seem like much bothers you. But you're missing the entire point. If the team wants to stay in Flint long term (and seriously as a Saginaw fan I hope it does, its nice having a rival team less than 30 minutes away), fan experience has to change. Both on and off the ice. Its nice that Rolf spent all that money on things like the locker room, press boxes, and player facilities it really is. But when it is only because those things benefit his own kid, and he barely spends a dime on anything the paying fans experience shows his true colors. That's literally all I'm saying. If Rolf put half the money he did into the other stuff into the arena its-self for the fans the Dort would skyrocket in appeal.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
No-one said you need a new $20 million dollar area. Hell, the Dow in Saginaw was only built 3 years after the Dort and OHL arena guide rated it in the top half of arenas in the OHL with the only major knock being the scoreboard that has since been replaced.

Your team struggles bringing fans into the building. FACT. The team sucking doesn't help, but come on. When you are dropping $20-26 per ticket and sitting in a folding chair no wonder more people arent showing up.
Who's paying $20-$26 a seat? I'd like to know who possibly picking the Dow in the top half of arenas in the OHL too. Was the railing blocking their view of the ice if they sit in the upper section? Was it the fact that it basically lacks a concourse? Or the merch is sold at a couple flea market booths. Maybe the tarps covering a section of the stands did it. I get free tickets to Saginaw games and don't even go up there. What would really wreck an arena for me is spending money on tickets for 2 decades only to see one meaningless Division title banner hanging in the rafters and never getting past the second round of the playoffs. Then still losing the rivalry trophy to the most mismanaged team in the league 2-1.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016

I agree completely. This team and fan base has seen a lot, it’s not a direct attack at you guys, but if you’re used to going to the nearby arenas (Sarnia, Saginaw, Windsor) then go to Flint for a game, it’s like you’re watching the game in a time machine. From what I’ve seen pictures of the locker rooms look beautiful. But when I go see a game, that has no effect on me. What I see is entrance, building, bowl, seats, bathrooms, concessions etc. I haven’t been an over a year, it could all be far superior to the last time I was there! However, last time I was there, it looked pretty outdated from a fans perspective, that’s used to watching primarily OHL hockey.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016

I also agree it’s suitable if it’s had some upgrades for the fans. Like noticeable upgrades. Compuware Arena looks a lot nicer since the whalers left, it’s unfortunate USNTDP only draws 500 people in a 3200 seat arena.

And yes, Saginaw has had a lack of success. But their Arena isn’t bad in comparison to the Dort. I wouldn’t say Top 10, but I’ll gladly travel there for a game anytime. And I’ll travel to the Dort too. It’s good hockey.

And yes, they’ve consistently been bad. And yes, the team I root for hasn’t won a playoff series since ..2011? But there’s not much room to talk about on ice performance as a FBirds fan. Sorry! Lol

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
I wish they would have put money into Compuware before the Whalers left. Might have helped them bring fans in more often. Even Compuware felt a little "high school" ish to me before the USA Hockey upgrades. But then again I've only visit Dort twice and Compuware for OHL games. Dort has a nice old school feel. I remember going to the old Toledo Sports Arena and the ice being small, players walking thru crowd, onto the concourse, then the locker rooms. Good memories of the that place.
If they brought an ECHL team in, who would be the NHL club they would be under? Toledo has a great relationship with Detroit. and has for years. Remember seeing Frk, Glendening, Mrazek start out down there.Would it be Toronto? Columbus? Ottawa?

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Who's paying $20-$26 a seat? I'd like to know who possibly picking the Dow in the top half of arenas in the OHL too. Was the railing blocking their view of the ice if they sit in the upper section? Was it the fact that it basically lacks a concourse? Or the merch is sold at a couple flea market booths. Maybe the tarps covering a section of the stands did it. I get free tickets to Saginaw games and don't even go up there. What would really wreck an arena for me is spending money on tickets for 2 decades only to see one meaningless Division title banner hanging in the rafters and never getting past the second round of the playoffs. Then still losing the rivalry trophy to the most mismanaged team in the league 2-1.

Literally $26 and $20 is the price listed on the Firebird's own website for the prime two sections of tickets. But having to buy through Ticketmaster on the site adds a$3 fee to each seat so its actually $23 to $29 my bad. Considering no one is going to Flint games this season though maybe you are right and noone is actually paying those prices.

The person who rates the arenas is OHL arena guide. He literally travels around and rates arenas both in the OHL and the Q. Its his thing. Huge Knights fan, dont hold that against him, and a good follow on twitter. Funny you say Saginaw has no concourses, considering there are actually 2 and even with tarped off seats the arena still seats more than the Dort. But I will admit you are right, one or two rows of the cheapest seats has a bar across part of the view, the two arena stores are booths (the team store at the team offices not at the arena) and it sucks to not have more banners it really does. But banners or not we have OHL hockey in town to watch year after year. For Flint fans sake. hopefully you'll be able to say the same thing after this season.

Reactions: three dog night

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
I like the Dow Events Center, but the concourse is way to small, just as it is in Flint. Granted I have not been to many OHL arenas besides Saginaw and Ste Sault Marie. I have seen most on TV, but that doesn't do total justice. Not sure how many of you have been to KWing Stadium in Kalamazoo, but that is my all-time favorite arena. About 5,400 seats, great concourse, tunnels into each section giving you a feel of being in a much larger arena, stop and go bars to grab a quick mixed drink if that is your thing. I also really liked The Mark in Quad Cities (one of Flint's all-time great rivals) during the days of the Generals. The Flint/Saginaw OHL rivalry is okay, but not as intense as our old IHL/UHL days between the Generals and Gears

Last edited:

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
I like the Dow Events Center, but the concourse is way to small, just as it is in Flint. Granted I have not been to many OHL arenas besides Saginaw and Ste Sault Marie. I have seen most on TV, but that doesn't do total justice. Not sure how many of you have been to KWing Stadium in Kalamazoo, but that is my all-time favorite arena. About 5,400 seats, great concourse, tunnels into each section giving you a feel of being in a much larger arena, stop and go bars to grab a quick mixed drink if that is your thing. I also really liked The Mark in Quad Cities (one of Flint's all-time great rivals) during the days of the Generals. The Flint/Saginaw OHL rivalry is okay, but not as intense as our old IHL/UHL days.

I don’t mind the Flint Concourse, just think it could use updates. I’m not a fan of Windsor’s. It’s too crowded, and I like being able to just circle the arena as you can in Flint and could at compuware. And I’m not going to try and defend Compuware arena at all. I just grew up there and it will always hold a special place in my heart. I do wish, they put the money into it USA has. Definitely a better environment to watch a game, and nice to finally have a damn video board. Not sure how that wasn’t a thing in 2014. Lol.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
You haven't seen a small concourse until you see Windsor Arena :laugh: I actually like Flint and Saginaw; roomy and bright. Can't complain about either. The only issue I see with Flint is the arena really blends in with the neighbourhood and, if you blink when you drive past, you could miss it.

Gensdef

May 24, 2017
Totality agree with this

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Flint has a lot more room to grow rivalries with Saginaw, Windsor, and Sarnia (maybe the Soo too). Past Flint rivalries include Saginaw, Port Huron, Muskegon. Quad City, Kalamazoo, Michigan (Fraser/Detroit MI) Falcons, Chatham Wheels (COHL), Toledo, and Fort Wayne. Saginaw, Thunder Bay (COHL), Port Huron, Detroit, and Chatham were some of the most intense Note: COHL Colonial Hockey League became the UHL United Hockey League became the reincarnated IHL International Hockey League. Enough about past leagues from me. Lets make the OHL work in Flint. (Updated/Corrected)

Last edited:

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I don’t mind the Flint Concourse, just think it could use updates. I’m not a fan of Windsor’s. It’s too crowded, and I like being able to just circle the arena as you can in Flint and could at compuware. And I’m not going to try and defend Compuware arena at all. I just grew up there and it will always hold a special place in my heart. I do wish, they put the money into it USA has. Definitely a better environment to watch a game, and nice to finally have a damn video board. Not sure how that wasn’t a thing in 2014. Lol.
I too like being able to just walk a lap of the arena. I dig Compuware. It was fine before the upgrades, it's better now. Ok, the lack of a scoreboard was weak, but I could tolerate that. I don't necessarily need all the extra stuff to enjoy a hockey game. Being able to see, hear and get a good view of the action, preferably with a great crowd is the most important to me. I like some of the old-school arenas and sometimes they just fit their city better. I've been open about loving going to Owen Sound and seeing games there. Nothing special about that arena and it has it's flaws but I really like it. It's somewhat similar to Flint. Arena wise, I just think Windsor is my favorite. A lap of the building is odd, but I love it for actually watching a game. The 2 pro shops and the selection of merch are incredible. I cannot stand the Greyhounds, but that's a really nice arena. Sarnia is decent too. I've been to London, but I didn't really take the time to check it out, so I can't really give it a fair shake.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Literally $26 and $20 is the price listed on the Firebird's own website for the prime two sections of tickets. But having to buy through Ticketmaster on the site adds a$3 fee to each seat so its actually $23 to $29 my bad. Considering no one is going to Flint games this season though maybe you are right and noone is actually paying those prices.

The person who rates the arenas is OHL arena guide. He literally travels around and rates arenas both in the OHL and the Q. Its his thing. Huge Knights fan, dont hold that against him, and a good follow on twitter. Funny you say Saginaw has no concourses, considering there are actually 2 and even with tarped off seats the arena still seats more than the Dort. But I will admit you are right, one or two rows of the cheapest seats has a bar across part of the view, the two arena stores are booths (the team store at the team offices not at the arena) and it sucks to not have more banners it really does. But banners or not we have OHL hockey in town to watch year after year. For Flint fans sake. hopefully you'll be able to say the same thing after this season.
I thought it was $19 for gold seating single tickets. I get Silver seasons, so I don't pay attention. I wasn't trying to be a... but c'mon. With the season we're having you just thought "I'll dip into the Firebirds thread real quick and trash their arena" and not get some pushback? Did any Flint fans step in a trash Saginaw after firing their coach this week and call you guys out?

three dog night

May 3, 2014
The Leauge newest arena in St Catharines cost 50 million Canadian tjat was five years ago a new arena might cost more now.

superdee

Oct 17, 2015
Hopefully they kick Ranger asses tonight like Sarnia did last night. I watched the game and to me at times Kitchener were letting Sting men get open. I have OHL game pal and will probably catch 2nd and 3rd if it is televised

419HockeyGuy

Nov 23, 2017
Looking at how things are going after 1/3 of the season it is going to be really tough next year signing any 01’s and 02’s that BB sent away in August. A couple of those players would really help right now. 9 F is not an OHL line up. I really feel for the kids and the coaching staff. It is going to be even more difficult getting any top talent in the draft to report.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad