Flint Firebirds 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
There are some local parties who could have interest. There are rumors of another league (or two) having interest. Rolf and everyone else knows the team must be sold. The sooner the better.

I hated them leaving Plymouth, but hope the future of the team in the OHL remains in the US somewhere. I think having 3 American teams helps with recruitment and keeping the O at such a high level of play.
I plan on coming out to Flint Friday to see the Spits game, should be a fun one, and I hope the Dort is still serving Dippin Dots as this is a key selling point for me. LOL. Do the Firebirds often auction off their Tropics night Jerseys?

Reactions: TcNorth

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I hated them leaving Plymouth, but hope the future of the team in the OHL remains in the US somewhere. I think having 3 American teams helps with recruitment and keeping the O at such a high level of play.
I plan on coming out to Flint Friday to see the Spits game, should be a fun one, and I hope the Dort is still serving Dippin Dots as this is a key selling point for me. LOL. Do the Firebirds often auction off their Tropics night Jerseys?
Yeah they do. It's been awhile since I stuck around for jersey auctions but I'm guessing the Tropics jersey's are some of the higher priced ones.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
It was more of a comment on how lethal the Attack's offense can be and the 'Birds being shorthanded. He hasn't been confidence inspiring lately though. He does seem to struggle right outta the gate and then find a groove, so maybe that 1st period bodes well.

Northernstormfan

Apr 26, 2015
Northern Ontario
Hey Flint fans. First off I hope Delandrea is okay. It was a big clean hit which I would be okay with against certain teams or if it was in a do or die game. But not in this game. I was very glad when he got up on his own but you could tell he needed assistance. I really hope your boys have a great game and come out with a win. I think I'm your biggest non Flint area fan you have. They have the pieces to win games they just have to put them together. Have a good night.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Is there a reason why you Flint doesnt have more players on the roster? are they worried about the education packages?

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
That's probably part of it. I'd imagine that it's really difficult to get the kids they've drafted to sign and come up right now.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Your team worked very hard in Owen Sound tonight. A 3-2 game with 2 empty net goals made it 5-2.

Vella was a standout, stopping 46 of 48 shots. He was 2nd star, and saluted the fans and we saluted him . A bunch of his former Attack team mates gave him after game hugs .

Hold your heads up, Flint fans. Your team is oh so close.

Reactions: TcNorth

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Have to applaude the Firebirds for the effort tonight Vella played a great game tonight against the Attack if not for him the game could've really looked worse then what it did.

No shame in losing a game and putting a full 60 minute effort in.

Chin up Firebird fans, chin up

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
... I hope the Dort is still serving Dippin Dots as this is a key selling point for me. LOL.
On the concourse directly behind Section 2. Enjoy!

Do the Firebirds often auction off their Tropics night Jerseys?
They do. They are some of the more popular jerseys that they auction, so the prices can get up there. If I remember correctly, they end up going for between $300-$800 USD.

FirebirdsFan21

Nov 25, 2017
My thoughts of the day:

Things that need to happen for the Firebirds going into the new year.
1. Barclay Branch needs to be fired. Replaced by someone who dads doesn't run the league. He has proven he doesn't have the ability with full control to put a good product on display.
2. Ownership needs to be figured out for the sake of stability. If Nilsen is going to keep the team, make it known for 5-10 years that he is locked in place. If the league is going to force a sale then by all means get it done. If the league is going to give control back to the current owner, I can't say that he could do a worse job.
3. Find players who want to play. Get rid of those who are there for the ride. We know that we aren't in a position to win now.
4. Look to bring back players who were released (Littlejohn, Collins) who can play forward. Currently with 12 forwards on the roster and 1 gone for the year (injury - can anyone confirm 100%). We will be short for the rest of the year.

Wellwood needs time to institute his systems and programs. Some of the players will not like this but hopefully once these programs are put into place you see a change. Keep in mind his systems have the only 2 wins we have this year. What is the term on his contract? This year, 2 years, 3 years.

Reactions: three dog night

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
My thoughts of the day:

1. Barclay Branch needs to be fired. Replaced by someone who dads doesn't run the league. He has proven he doesn't have the ability with full control to put a good product on display.
2. Ownership needs to be figured out for the sake of stability. If Nilsen is going to keep the team, make it known for 5-10 years that he is locked in place. If the league is going to force a sale then by all means get it done. If the league is going to give control back to the current owner, I can't say that he could do a worse job.
3. Find players who want to play. Get rid of those who are there for the ride. We know that we aren't in a position to win now.
4. Look to bring back players who were released (Littlejohn, Collins) who can play forward. Currently with 12 forwards on the roster and 1 gone for the year (injury - can anyone confirm 100%). We will be short for the rest of the year.

Wellwood needs time to institute his systems and programs. Some of the players will not like this but hopefully once these programs are put into place you see a change. Keep in mind his systems have the only 2 wins we have this year. What is the term on his contract? This year, 2 years, 3 years.

Your number 2 point takes care of number 1, 3, and 4.

Getting new stable ownership should be priority #1. No reason Nilsen should own this team after this season. Once you get someone to take over and they are able to hire their people to run the team, no more Barclay. Hopefully for Flints sake its a situation where they bring hockey people in and are respected in the hockey community. Will go a long way in player/agent/fan trust.

Problem is until that is addressed 3 and 4 wont change. Quality players wont waive their no trade clauses to come here. That's how trades like the Rowe deal happen. Problem children like him are the only ones willing to waive their no trade clauses to come. In the mean time you are stuck moving your teams assets for picks and run the risk of those picks never showing. Its a self-fulfilling cycle

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
My thoughts of the day:

My thoughts for the day...

Donald Trump has never fired his own sons and David Branch will likewise not do. Branch may REPLACE Barclay due to the fact that Barclay no longer wants to deal with the fiasco that the OHL finds itself with. Flint is the worst team in all of Canadian Junior hockey and the Firebirds have the record (2-20-1) to prove it.

I see Nilsen suing the OHL for full value of what he paid for the franchise. The franchise is not worth what Nilsen paid for it since the OHL takeover. The OHL feared that Nilsen would sue at the time of his suspension. The OHL did everything to prevent this, even to the point where they assured Nilsen that his son would have a guaranteed spot on the Firebirds as long as Hakon was eligible. The OHL has interested parties to purchase the franchise and relocate it to another city.

Nilsen needs to make a decision soon, an NHL backed ownership group is interested in bringing a ECHL franchise to Flint, they have an April 1st deadline in order to proceed.

With Nilsen's son soon no longer eligible to play in the OHL, Nilsen has his sights on another league for Hakon to be able to play in. It will be interesting to see what happens.

American based OHL teams have a huge disadvantage in competing with Ontario based teams. Players prefer playing for Canadian based teams, along with the fact that the USHL and NCAA are now options that produce players that can and have made it to the NHL. After the Nilsen suspension, this just made things even more difficult to get players to play in Flint. The player recruitment situation in Flint is toxic. Numerous attempts to make deals or get players to come to Flint just this year have failed. You cannot have this continue to happen, for things will get even worse than they are.

I guarantee you that you will NOT see any players back in Flint who were released in the past. If injuries do occur look for the team to ice a team with a continued short bench.

Wellwood is a good guy. But, if you didn't notice when he was asked during the press conference to introduce him as to the length of his contract, that was the one question that he did not answer. He did not sign a long term contract, because there is no certainty that the team will be around for 2 or 3 years as you questioned.

Reactions: cub

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
N Da No, your response on #2 intrigues me. I hope new owners would keep the team in Flint in the OHL. That is my absolute first choice. However, I could get behind an ECHL team as well. With only a 3,960 seat arena I do not see why such great interest in Flint. Why would Brampton, Manchester, etc move to A smaller market?

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
N Da No, your response on #2 intrigues me. I hope new owners would keep the team in Flint in the OHL. That is my absolute first choice. However, I could get behind an ECHL team as well. With only a 3,960 seat arena I do not see why such great interest in Flint. Why would Brampton, Manchester, etc move to A smaller market?
.[/

The main reason being the proximity of Flint to the NHL Groups home base. Brampton (being Canadian based creates additional problems for the group) and Manchester (I take it you speak of New Hampshire) is much further away than Flint. Flint is an ideal location to shuttle ECHL players and prospects to their AHL affiliate.

The second reason being Flint past history and success of supporting MINOR league hockey. Flint fans are very familiar with Kalamazoo, Toledo, Fort Wayne, Indianapolis and Cincinnati, just a few to mention of the rivalries of the past that would reignite with an ECHL team.

Third, there would be no problem of recruiting players to play in Flint as there currently is with the OHL. Players would come from the NHL affiliate. Players would make Flint a destination that they want to play at, not one where OHL players want to stay away from.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Columbus/Cleveland/Flint? One never knows. I would still prefer new Flint OHL ownership.

hockjock

Oct 4, 2018
Your number 2 point takes care of number 1, 3, and 4.

Getting new stable ownership should be priority #1. No reason Nilsen should own this team after this season. Once you get someone to take over and they are able to hire their people to run the team, no more Barclay. Hopefully for Flints sake its a situation where they bring hockey people in and are respected in the hockey community. Will go a long way in player/agent/fan trust.

Problem is until that is addressed 3 and 4 wont change. Quality players wont waive their no trade clauses to come here. That's how trades like the Rowe deal happen. Problem children like him are the only ones willing to waive their no trade clauses to come. In the mean time you are stuck moving your teams assets for picks and run the risk of those picks never showing. Its a self-fulfilling cycle
The Rowe deal isn’t the issue. He’s not the only that wanted out of London. He was destined for Kingston from the start. It had nothing to do to with attitude. It was a back door deal from
the start but the injury changed the timing. Fact is you have kids in flint who want out badly. There are players who make it clear that they want trades almost daily. Do they have bad attitudes? They have crappy feelings towards flint and the uncertainty here. I’m close to a few billets who have heard the disgruntled talk of the players here. There’s so much more crap going on than most of us even realize.

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
The Rowe deal isn’t the issue. He’s not the only that wanted out of London. He was destined for Kingston from the start. It had nothing to do to with attitude. It was a back door deal from
the start but the injury changed the timing. Fact is you have kids in flint who want out badly. There are players who make it clear that they want trades almost daily. Do they have bad attitudes? They have crappy feelings towards flint and the uncertainty here. I’m close to a few billets who have heard the disgruntled talk of the players here. There’s so much more crap going on than most of us even realize.

Well spoken, I agree with you 100 percent. The shameful part of this whole situation is that there are folks out there that don't believe or want to deny what is going on in Flint.

2-20-1 is NOT fake news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad