Flint Firebirds 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I really hope that by the end of the season, things have improved but right now, all 3 2016 2nd round draft picks are barely having an impact. Holmes, Busby and Wismer. Combining for 42gp 5g 7a and 12pts this year. The #3 overall pick taken from Flint via sanctions and 3 second round picks combining for 12pts. 9th round 2016 pick Eric Uba has 12pts by himself. 2017 10th rounder Jacob Winterton has 10pts.
League wide, there doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of dominant 2000 born yet. Several will break out at 19, I’m sure.
Burnett & Branch headed the last two drafts, who made the 2016 picks?

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
To be fair, Busby has been hurt. Not his fault but his durability is more than a little concerning. That is no one's fault. Not Busby, the scouts, or head of the 2016 draft which was probably heavily influenced by Stefan and McParlan. Wismer has been pretty underwhelming as a whole since his arrival. He's not a defensive liability but I don't think he has the skill set to produce much offense at this level. You're not going to find him throwing his body or living in the high traffic areas either. Holmes....well, Homes just doesn't seem to care this year. After returning from an injury that kept him out of quite a few games last year he looked really good. Producing offense and looking like he wanted to remind scouts that he was also 2018 NHL draft eligible. This year? Virtually non-existent. I don't know what the deal is.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
It is all about getting a new owner in place! Nilsen and Branch are going to keep doing what they do and keep Flint from being a destination franchise. The franchise MUST be sold. David Branch gets an “F” for the choices he had made while operating this franchise. I know I am preaching to the choir.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Was it shoulder? Or Injured collarbone?, re-injured collarbone first shift of second game on a....ahem "hit". Surgery. End of 17-18 season. Broken foot in camp at Arizona this year. On another note, if McCourt is returning this weekend, that should help. Let's not forget how good he was for Flint last year. I really thought he stood a decent chance of getting drafted late or signing as an FA, which I think he'll do in the future. I think, given a week to get back into game shape and up to speed, he becomes our second most effective D behind Kolyachonok. Unfortunately, there still remains behind the scenes drama that is causing as much of an issue as anything else. It looks as though Wellwood is working hard to address it and is having some positive effect but I don't think things change much over the rest of the season.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
A little late, but since it hasn't been mentioned with all the other usual Firebirds drama going on...Ryan McLeod was suspended 2 games for his check to the face of Ryan Bangs. Ty Dellandrea went 0-0-0 and -2 in his appearance in the Canada-Russia game.

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
Wondering why the game preview says the "possible" return of three Firebirds in the lineup?

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I was figuring Barclay lost their passports and it's "possible" that he remembers where he put them before they leave for Guelph. It's possible he trades a pair of 2nd's to London for a small stack of passport and visa applications.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
I was figuring Barclay lost their passports and it's "possible" that he remembers where he put them before they leave for Guelph. It's possible he trades a pair of 2nd's to London for a small stack of passport and visa applications.
Giving the man a lot of credit there don't you think? :skeptic: ;)

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Hope things get turned around for you guys, sure I cheer for my team first but I don't like seeing any franchise going through your pain.

Going to screw around until the team moves and they will ask "not sure what happened I guess Flint just isn't a Hockey town"? When in fact Flint only has an aversion to the Circus for crying out loud. Branch had / has no Exit Plan once he stepped in it was "doomed".

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Even I know Flint has had a long hockey history, I hardly believe the OHL experience would define the town. Reflects more so on the league, not the city.
Agreed but if it fails that will be the BS provided by the OHL when in fact after what this city has gone through with this team several other cities may have already started to ignore them. Sorry but I think the OHL has a lot to be held accountable for here.

Reactions: TcNorth

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
McCourt, Bianconi and Veirling back in the lineup. Dressing 18 skaters for the first time in a long time!
Yeah, but...11 forwards and 7 defensemen. Can't even field a traditional 12f/6d lineup when they have the ability to do so.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Dellandrea absolutely SMOKED late in the 2nd period. Looked like he took a shoulder to the chin. Was down on his knees for some time, and went off the ice holding his face. Didn't look good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad