Flint Firebirds 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
For some reason, I've always seen Gordeev getting moved on from Flint. He's eating a lot of minutes for them right now, but I won't miss his ticky-tack penalties if he goes.

Lots of minutes and yet somehow plus 4

Last edited:

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Lots of minutes and yet somehow a plus 4
Because he's often in the box for a hook or slash or hold while they're being scored on. It is an odd stat I was discussing with another season ticket holder one game recently. During that game he went +2 while being completely uninvolved in the play, was in the box for a goal and completely disengaged from his guy after he distributed the puck only to have that player receive the puck back immediately for an unchecked back door PP goal on another. Net gain? +2. I dogged Fedor a bit last year for the same type of play, then towards the end of the year, he upped his game. Playing better defensively and generating more offense. He's regressed back to last year's early play. The needless penalties have continued throughout. He's looked better over the last 5-6 games but there's still a lot of untapped potential in that kid. He should be a dominant D at this point with his size and skill set.

Reactions: three dog night

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Somehow I don't see Toronto signing him.
I sure hope they don't, as that will significantly increase his chances of being in the OHL next year, and that will increase his trade value.

I've said it a couple of times before with this guy...I could live with his penalties if they were "big boy" penalties. He should be taking another guy off of the ice with him, not being the only guy called.

Reactions: Packman

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Plus minus most over rated stat

only because some use +/- to hype a sheltered 4th liner that never sees a 3rd period shift in close games

If Godeev leads all D in min/game and used as an all purpose player and against other teams top players, being +4 on a team with the league’s worst goal differential means he’s been pretty reliable 5 on 5 and not often scored against on PP.
If Gordeev has been in the sin bin for GA more than most with similar min played, he’s undisciplined and the team probably has a weak PK.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
For some reason, I've always seen Gordeev getting moved on from Flint. He's eating a lot of minutes for them right now, but I won't miss his ticky-tack penalties if he goes.

He's the only player in the OHL over 2 PIMs a game but doesn't have a fighting major this season

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I sure hope they don't, as that will significantly increase his chances of being in the OHL next year, and that will increase his trade value.

I've said it a couple of times before with this guy...I could live with his penalties if they were "big boy" penalties. He should be taking another guy off of the ice with him, not being the only guy called.

If he was a Middleton-type, where he had a physically imposing presence and backed it up, I'd be all for signing him. (I'm a Leafs fan) However, to have all those PIM and just one career OHL fight, and even that was ugly (he tried to hold him out and swat him). I can't do it. If I'm Toronto and want to sign a guy who's going to back his team up, I'd rather go after Sean Allen.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
If Gordeev leads all D in min/game and used as an all purpose player and against other teams top players, being +4 on a team with the league’s worst goal differential means he’s been pretty reliable 5 on 5 and not often scored against on PP.
If Gordeev has been in the sin bin for GA more than most with similar min played, he’s undisciplined and the team probably has a weak PK.
Defend it all you want (at least it reads like you're trying to defend it). All I know is that when I'm watching the games, I sure do notice him take the wind out of the sails an awful lot with some seriously momentum-killing minor penalties.

Last edited:

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
If he was a Middleton-type, where he had a physically imposing presence and backed it up, I'd be all for signing him...
Middleton's edge is EXACTLY what I'd like to see as a part of Gordeev's game. The skill part of Gordeev's game, in my opinion, is better than Middleton. If he could add that something that Middleton brought, he'd be so much more effective.

Reactions: OHLTG

domi55us

Nov 20, 2017
Middleton's edge is EXACTLY what I'd like to see as a part of Gordeev's game. The skill part of Gordeev's game, in my opinion, is better than Middleton. If he could add that something that Middleton brought, he'd be so much more effective.

I agree that Gordeev is much more skilled than Middleton on the offensive end but I’d take Middleton defensive skills over him. I would bet Middleton will jump up to the Sharks within a couple years!

hockjock

Oct 4, 2018
They didn't sign Mattinen (6th round) and Dallas didn't sign Peters (3rd round) so I'd think there's a good chance they don't.
Well Dallas hasn’t signed Ty either whereas most other first rounders have signed.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
I agree that Gordeev is much more skilled than Middleton on the offensive end but I’d take Middleton defensive skills over him. I would bet Middleton will jump up to the Sharks within a couple years!

NHL is moving away from the stay home defensemen with limited offensive ability. I don't think Middleton is more then a career minor leaguer, who might get a couple games if a team is beat up on the blue line.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Good luck to the boys tonight in a tough game against Saginaw.
PS: Why is it that Kingston has announced the Rowe trade, but Flint has not? In fact, Flint never told the truth about the trade when we got Rowe.

Last edited:

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
...Why is it that Kingston has announced the Rowe trade, but Flint has not? In fact, Flint never told the truth about the trade when we got Rowe.
BB (when asked about the Lucas Rowe era): "NEVAH HEARD OF IT....NEXT!!!"

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
No Bianconi or Vierling tonight.

Still no McCourt.

10 Forwards and 5 Dmen.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
No Bianconi or Vierling tonight.

Still no McCourt.

10 Forwards and 5 Dmen.

the U17 flights left the East coast on Sunday morning so no idea why they're not playing tonight, all the other U17 guys are (Piercey for BAR, Seed for OS, Chayka and Terry for GUE, Hardie for MISS, Drysdale for ER, Renwick for HAM, Valade and Sebrango for KIT all played today)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad