Flint Firebirds 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I may be looking too deep into this but there has been a discrepency on what Rowe from LDN to Flnt cost. Could it be that he was 3rd (like Flint reported) but then Flint also gave 2 2nds to London to get them to convince Koly to report to Flint? Terry Doyle seems like he is kind of alluding to that

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
I may be looking too deep into this but there has been a discrepency on what Rowe from LDN to Flnt cost. Could it be that he was 3rd (like Flint reported) but then Flint also gave 2 2nds to London to get them to convince Koly to report to Flint? Terry Doyle seems like he is kind of alluding to that

Thats exactly how I read that. Price was increased to allow the Koly acquisition via waivers since he couldn't be "traded" in an official sense.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
I may be looking too deep into this but there has been a discrepency on what Rowe from LDN to Flnt cost. Could it be that he was 3rd (like Flint reported) but then Flint also gave 2 2nds to London to get them to convince Koly to report to Flint? Terry Doyle seems like he is kind of alluding to that...
It softens the blow a little bit to think of it in those terms, I guess. London still would have had to make one of their three Imports available on waivers.

Reactions: Wolfman Jack

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Thats exactly how I read that. Price was increased to allow the Koly acquisition via waivers since he couldn't be "traded" in an official sense.

If that is the case, the Rowe experiment was still a brutal one (went down from 3rd round to 12th round for 10 games of him, 1 point). But 2 2nds for Koly isn't a bad deal, he seems like he's going to be really good and probably in the OHL for 2 years

Reactions: bcspragu

superdee

Oct 17, 2015
Congrats to your family just an awesome story sadly many kids are out there desperate for a loving family. Thank Goodness your son has found one! Your pride rings loud!
My wife and I have fostered Native children for ten years. Good for you guys and I hope everything works out awesome for the three of you.

Reactions: three dog night

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
I'm not sure 100% how conditionals work in the OHL, but could the trade have been a conditional pick for Rowe, with the conditions being met if Koly reported to Flint via waivers?

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
If that is the case, the Rowe experiment was still a brutal one (went down from 3rd round to 12th round for 10 games of him, 1 point). But 2 2nds for Koly isn't a bad deal, he seems like he's going to be really good and probably in the OHL for 2 years

Koly is easily the best dman Flint has ever had already.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
I've got to agree with that. He's literally gotten better with each game he's played with Flint, too.

100% and he seems to be more and more comfortable each game. Saturday there was a 2 on 1, and Koly wanted someone to take the other guy. He didn't. After Koly stood there talking to whoever the player was. Kid is amazing, all the way around.

Reactions: Savard18

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I can handle a 3rd down to a 12th to take a shot at a kid who was drafted 18th overall by London. 2 2nd's a 3rd is ridiculous though. I don't really wanna hear about Koly either. London HAD to release him. They had NO other choice. If the conditions were that Hunter convinces him to report to Flint? Isn't picking the kid up off of waivers and convincing him to report BRANCH'S job? Are we now paying London to do our recruiting for us? Let's just hope those conditionals were on x number of games played and he didn't reach that total. Koly may soften the blow because as stated he is the best D to ever put on orange and blue but that is one huge waste of assets if the conditions have been met.

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
No sense in dwelling on what can't be changed. Good thing is Flint got rid of Rowe and his attitude & good luck to Kingston with him.

Reactions: Savard18

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
W

Whatever the case is London and Flint did some back door dealing to get Koly to report. London obviously wanted to save face with the Import scouts, player agent and agency and Russian hockey federation. I really would like to know what those discussions entailed. What an embarrassment any which way you slice it. Rowe was used as a pond in all of it.

WJ

hockjock

Oct 4, 2018
100% and he seems to be more and more comfortable each game. Saturday there was a 2 on 1, and Koly wanted someone to take the other guy. He didn't. After Koly stood there talking to whoever the player was. Kid is amazing, all the way around.
Got sources saying more than one kid wants out of Flint. What’s going on over there? The rumour mill is buzzing.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Okay, London fleeced Flint, but based upon what we saw of Rowe in Flint, Kingston got fleeced, too.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Why couldn’t Flint just have picked up Koly on Waivers?
Because London didn’t have to release Koly. It could have been one of the other two Imports. London may have said, “We’d rather release xxxxxx. If you want us to release Koly instead, it’s gonna cost ya.”

Reactions: TcNorth

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
OHLInsiders. I don't pay much attention to that dude at all. He's personally messaged me and many others on here for dissing his often incorrect info. Yeah, he gets stuff right but he gets way too much wrong and sometimes it stuff that could be messing with kid's heads if they read it. I'm sure they're told to stay away from here and his stuff but still. Even THAT post. You don't get the confusion? You're sources say a 3rd with conditionals. The OHL site says 2 2nd's and a 3rd. That might be part of the confusion. Not to mention CONDITIONALS! That's the confusion. What are the conditionals? If he plays one game for Flint do the conditionals kick in? Does he need to meet performance criteria? Finish the season in Flint?

Last edited:

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
From what I’m hearing London had been wanting to get rid of Rowe. I honestly believe there were back door dealings to get Koly and part of that was take Rowe off their hands. As far as others leaving, I heard some did when Ryan was still behind the bench. Haven’t heard of any since Wellwood has taken over.

house hockey 98

Apr 8, 2018
We talk about that spending money on here all the time to get the american kids.. London strikes again with their bankroll signing Paul Cotter today out of Western Michigan

Reactions: Lycanthrope

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
It wasn't going to be Boqvist. I'm sure Chicago had that guaranteed. So it was Guskov or Koly. No other option. Neither could be traded. So IF they did do that Branch basically paid Guskov, 2 2nd's and a 3rd for Rowe and Koly.
Yup. It’s all a big game that the Hunters play so well.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Because London didn’t have to release Koly. It could have been one of the other two Imports. London may have said, “We’d rather release xxxxxx. If you want us to release Koly instead, it’s gonna cost ya.”
It wasn't going to be Boqvist. I'm sure Chicago had that guaranteed. So it was Guskov or Koly. No other option. Neither could be traded. So IF they did do that Branch basically paid Guskov, 2 2nd's and a 3rd for Rowe and Koly.

Reactions: rangersblues

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Unless I'm missing something London could have worked out a deal with another team. They didn't necessarily have to release him.

I’m pretty certain London had 14 days to trade Boquist. So yeah, London could have suggested pay for Rowe, get Koly free
No matter how you look at it; Koly was not free, Rowe embarrassed himself, and Branch is a better sport than I. I would have let the kid sit for a goo amount of time.

Last edited:

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I’m pretty certain London had 14 days to trade Boquist. So yeah, London could have suggested pay for Rowe, get Koly free
Why have the rule about not being able to trade drafted imports if it's obviously not being followed. And the commissioner 's son was party to breaking the rule no less.

Barclay Branch is either crooked, incompetent or both.

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Could of we just claimed Koly on waiver without Rowe and giving up picks?

Yeah but I could see if London sent some money to Koly that they promised him before the season and agreed to still give him it if he goes to flint, otherwise he likely would've just gone back to Russia

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
For Koly it worked out well, Rowe not so much. Obviously Flint was willing to take a 12th rounder for a kid who was drafted 1st round, what does that tell you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad