Confirmed Signing with Link: [FLA] Jason Demers (5 Years, $4.500M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I always laugh at all of those tweets that say "x team have now spent 100 Million in two days"

No they haven't. It's over the entire contract. They make it sound like teams spent that all in one day.

If you buy a car and finance it for 30K, you've spent 30K because you committed to that amount. If your payment is 300/month, do you tell people you paid 300 for it? Or 30K?

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
The state tax break is overrated. On a $4.5M salary, it amounts to about $250-300k per year compared to taxable states. Not a real difference maker.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I seriously wonder what Dallas is doing with their D now? No Goligoski, No Demers?

Going with the young guys + we have Oduya and Hamhuis as safety blankets on short term deal. Nill repeatedly said he trusts his young and upcoming players and expects them to contribute. At some point you gotta put them out there and see what they're made off. Demers would've been kind of in the way on a long-term deal and he's not that great to justify that.

RealGudbranson

Jun 19, 2008
FLA is smart they off loaded Gudbranson and the defensman that starts with a K for more assets. Good value management to then sign a dman through FA.

This is a risky gambit. There are only so many UFA defenceman to go around in UFA; however it paid off. (Florida also has to be recognized for preemptively trading for Yandle's rights).

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
This is the first time that we've had stable management and owners who are willing to spend and make changes that are necessary. It's really refreshing and reassuring as a STH.

In all honesty it's good to see and I'm happy for Florida. You guys are building a great squad.

I would love to see the Florida rivalry meet in the 2nd round of the playoffs. That would be cool.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Lol did you just call San Jose a "beach team"?

Just a term coined back when teams were moving to nicer cities. I understand San Jose isn't along the coast. I'm not that dense. But the sunshine non-traditional markets for a really bad rep for a long time.

It's good to see it finally turn around. If you've followed hockey your whole life, the idea of taking discounts to go to teams like TB, SJ, Florida, etc. weren't really as ubiquitous as it is today.

IMO - good for the game.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
The no tax situation in Florida probably had something to do with it. I would guess he was asking over 5 from everyone else.

:laugh:

It's almost like Florida didn't realize their income tax was a benefit until Stamkos was due to hit F.A and sports networks kept talking about how much more he makes in Florida. Then, a light switch went off in Rowe's head and he's now going to use that as his number one selling point in every contract he will sign.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Except we don't. Our goalies made everyone look worse last year than they were

If you think a rational argument is to be expected from the likes of him, you're mistaken. That post is clearly an attempt to...ahem..."mythological Norwegian cave dweller."

serp

Jan 17, 2016
On a good day good Demers is a great #3 that is worth more than this and on bad days want to see him scratched/glued to the bench. In Dallas he had many more good than bad days and he had great chemistry with the team. Him leaving wasn't unexpected still best of luck to him in Florida.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad