Five members from Canada’s 2018 world junior team (Hart, McLeod, Dube, Foote and Formenton) told to surrender to police, facing sexual assault charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly Dogma

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I mean I obviously love hockey. That's why I'm posting here, not some other forum.

But the best hockey movies really don't compare to some of the movies for other sports.
a high budget movie about the Leafs last cup win could be epic. Older team, end of their careers, written off and pull it off.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I don't really agree, you have to look at the human animal and what allowed us to become the dominant species on the planet.
To say the traits that allow us to survive when times are tough are toxic, does a disservice to our ancestors.
So do you think racism and religious prosecution are positive? Those are traits that allowed us to progress historically as well, but they're not necessary in the world we live in today and are in fact considered toxic.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Yeah, so I don't use the phrase "toxic masculinity". Because it too easily slides from "toxic masculinity = masculinity", then we have to start defining all the terms, and it all goes to hell.

Let me just say that sexual assault is really bad and people shouldn't do it. Plus, presumption of innocence is still a thing, even if a finding of not guilty is not the same as innocent.

Anyways, after spending way too much time on this thread it's going to get closed anyways so no use typing out another essay.
Why they closing it ? Or they just gonna open every time there is an update for a week or two ? Nvm saw the update

Deadly Dogma

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
So do you think racism and religious prosecution are positive? Those are traits that allowed us to progress historically as well, but they're not necessary in the world we live in today and are in fact considered toxic.
no those are tribalistic traits, those same traits we despise are nothing more than rebranded tribalism.
And tribalism is instinctually imprinted on us. Hell even us being fans of different teams is a form of tribalism.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
no those are tribalistic traits, those same traits we despise are nothing more than rebranded tribalism.
And tribalism is instinctually imprinted on us. Hell even us being fans of different teams is a form of tribalism.
Correct, tribalistic traits that helped us progress as a species at the time. So now, today, are we doing our ancestors a disservice by condemning racism?

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005
Criminy, all I have to do is threaten to close this and the thread finally gets fun.

newsradio-dave-crazy.gif

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
I don't really agree, you have to look at the human animal and what allowed us to become the dominant species on the planet.
To say the traits that allow us to survive when times are tough are toxic, does a disservice to our ancestors.

Meh.

If we are talking about survival, I have hard time imagining our ancestors feeding the tribe by approaching a mammoth with the air of inherent superiority so that it dies from feeling wholly inadequate. Or, by yelling at the rabbit to get into the trap.

It's actually more likely scenario that the toxic masculinity traits are preserved/propagated NOT because they were useful to us as a species, but because those behaviours in the prehistoric times lead to higher reproduction rates among those males. Quite possibly at the expense of those whose behaviours were more useful to the actual survival. In other words, I do think the toxic part is actually more likely to be a parasitic trait of sorts.

Deadly Dogma

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Correct, tribalistic traits that helped us progress as a species at the time. So now, today, are we doing our ancestors a disservice by condemning racism?
We're looking at it on a different scale, I'm looking at it in terms of the basic psychological drives where you're looking at the symptoms of said instincts.
plus we are all metaphorical racists.
If you belong to a group, whether its political, ideological, theological or a fanbase, and part of belonging to said group is to have a dislike of another group, your actually using the same mechanism as racism.
So thinking about how you feel towards a group you may not like is logically the same as how a racist probably feels.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
You are crazy.

Patrick Swayze with perfectly feathered hair...

Rob Lowe playing Dean Youngblood, who is in fact the "youngblood" on the team...

They were robbed of at least 9 Oscars for Christ's sake.

"Perfectly feathered hair", you say?

You can't bring up hockey hair without recognizing the Hansons.

yeM.gif

Also, I see your Patrick Swayze and raise you one Paul Newman

2e208b236fcd43eb892b510ba5c209b2.gif

(I know, I know!)

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Criminy, all I have to do is threaten to close this and the thread finally gets fun.

View attachment 815444
In the message board I moderate we have a "last one wins" and it's a race before to see who will post last before a thread closes. You'll get such amazing nonsense to drunken bar stories to "make me laugh" challenges to sharing mac and cheese recipes

I purpose we do this to encourage as much nonsense and tomfoolery as possible

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005
In the message board I moderate we have a "last one wins" and it's a race before to see who will post last before a thread closes. You'll get such amazing nonsense to drunken bar stories to "make me laugh" challenges to sharing mac and cheese recipes

I purpose we do this to encourage as much nonsense and tomfoolery as possible

Maximum Tom Foolery.

1707256948398.png

Deadly Dogma

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Meh.

If we are talking about survival, I have hard time imagining our ancestors feeding the tribe by approaching a mammoth with the air of inherent superiority so that it dies from feeling wholly inadequate. Or, by yelling at the rabbit to get into the trap.

It's actually more likely scenario that the toxic masculinity traits are preserved/propagated NOT because they were useful to us as a species, but because those behaviours in the prehistoric times lead to higher reproduction rates among those males. Quite possibly at the expense of those whose behaviours were more useful to the actual survival. In other words, I do think the toxic part is actually more likely to be a parasitic trait of sorts.
thats a good point, was the goal simply to propagate, or to live happily while propagating at a slower rate?
My theory that humans became a virus once we broke out of nature's confines, would lead me to believe raw propagation was the goal

hehe, raw propagation lol

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Why are those masculine traits? Honestly "caring" is much more traditionally considered a feminine trait, stoicism is considered more masculine.

It's only contradictory if you live in a dichotomous world. Some traits that are traditionally masculine are toxic, such as the belief in gender superiority that has existed forever. Emotional detachment is a toxic trait and considered masculine. Hard love is considered a masculine thing to do but has consistently been shown to do more damage than good. Toxic masculinity is about the traditional traits that we now know to be toxic, not the ones that are positive.
RR44 maybe used a wrong word. I'd say Protective instead of caring.

Who believes in gender superiority? I think someone who you'd describe as traditionally masculine would 1. never use the word gender and 2. refer to natural differences between sexes, not that one is superior to the other

Emotional detachment is a good one. So when a guy doesnt give the woman what she wants, ie emotional attachment or commitment, he's quickly branded as toxic. Imagine calling a woman who doesnt give a man what he wants toxic...

Hard (assume you mean tough?) love has consistently been shown to do more damage than good? Would love (ha) to read more about that, I'd argue it does less damage than coddling and teaching that lacking accountability is completely fine.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Actually, the first conversation I had when the investigation reopened was in a hockey dressing room with my men's team. As a father of three daughters, I pointed out to the guys that my biggest wonder was, "Where was the good guy? The guy that says, boys, this is f***ed up. Stop it or someone is going to get in huge trouble. It's just wrong."

Back in the day, I had a friend who had a toxic relationship with his girlfriend. (Mutual physical abuse) When I was around, I would step between them to ensure their safety. (Mostly of her since he was 6 inches taller and 150lbs heavier) My friend one time tried to knee me in the balls so he could get to her. It was my duty to protect a female in trouble.

I still wonder about the 2018 guys, "Where was the good guy?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad