Five members from Canada’s 2018 world junior team (Hart, McLeod, Dube, Foote and Formenton) told to surrender to police, facing sexual assault charges

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
It's become apparent you don't grasp that both sexes can be toxic yet only one is consistently demonized
:laugh:
Women can be toxic
Women are demonized plenty, idk if you've seen the people in this thread bringing up past false accusations of sexual assualt. If you need examples I'm sure there are some in your "liked post" section.

When people refer to toxic masulinity they aren't claiming all men are evil or all masculine traits are evil. That's just what you choose to hear.

RR44

Jan 29, 2024
Good man 👍

Sorry if that was too toxic for anyone to read. I'll stop.
No need to stop expressing an opinion...especially those that makes other feel uncomfortable or that aren't obedient to certains myths that are out there.

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
:laugh:
Women can be toxic
Women are demonized plenty, idk if you've seen the people in this thread bringing up past false accusations of sexual assualt. If you need examples I'm sure there are some in your "liked post" section.

When people refer to toxic masulinity they aren't claiming all men are evil or all masculine traits are evil. That's just what you choose to hear.
isn't toxic masculinity really just another term for misogyny?

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Yeah, so I don't use the phrase "toxic masculinity". Because it too easily slides from "toxic masculinity = masculinity", then we have to start defining all the terms, and it all goes to hell.

Let me just say that sexual assault is really bad and people shouldn't do it. Plus, presumption of innocence is still a thing, even if a finding of not guilty is not the same as innocent.

Anyways, after spending way too much time on this thread it's going to get closed anyways so no use typing out another essay.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I always thought a big part of the term "toxic masculinity" had to do with the intolerance for peers to not be masculine and the associated peer pressure.

RR44

Jan 29, 2024
You're really just telling on yourself with this type of statement. Equating "toxic masculinity" with "masculinity is inherently evil" just means you can't conceive of masculinity without the specific aspects of it that the phrase "toxic masculinity" is generally used to refer to. You're the one who believes that masculinity intrinsically encompasses traits society has judged to be negative.
Sexual assault is a toxic, criminal, abhorent human behavior that should be demonized. Masculine traits such as strength, courage, winning attitude, assertion, caring, compassion should be celebrated. A toxic behaviour(s) while displaying virtuous masculine traits don't work in unison. See the difference...of course you don't given what your above response is.

Toxic behaviours are not just for men, women can and do display just as shitty behaviour as men do. If you had bothered to read what I actually wrote...you wouldn't have posted such nonsense as"telling on yourself".

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I always thought a big part of the term "toxic masculinity" had to do with the intolerance for peers to not be masculine and the associated peer pressure.
Looking at humans evolutionarily, soo many unpalatable traits were actually crucial to our development.
There is the physical and mental, modern medicine has removed survival of the fittest as a predominant factor. While nice, it is allowing genetic traits that would have been weeded out, to propagate.
Now for the mental, is the relatively recent change in culture a sign that the Darwinian factor is being removed from the mental aspect?
And the bigger question, what would the long term effects be?
Are we far enough removed from natural selection that we can survive as a species with the current evolutionary path?

Looking at the change from hunter gatherer to a farming culture may give some insights because I feel we are at a similar shift into a new human age

Last edited:
Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
Politics and the culture war are stupid. Never have I seen anyone get involved in them and thought “wow, that really did ___ good. S/he is such a better and more likeable person now”

Anyway, I’ve always seen the mean girls stereotype as the feminine version of what is called toxic masculinity

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
Sexual assault is a toxic, criminal, abhorent human behavior that should be demonized. Masculine traits such as strength, courage, winning attitude, assertion, caring, compassion should be celebrated. A toxic behaviour(s) while displaying virtuous masculine traits don't work in unison. See the difference...of course you don't given what your above response is.

Toxic behaviours are not just for men, women can and do display just as shitty behaviour as men do. If you had bothered to read what I actually wrote...you wouldn't have posted such nonsense as"telling on yourself".
You're SO CLOSE to understanding it.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Anyway, I’ve always seen the mean girls stereotype as the feminine version of what is called toxic masculinity

I think for that to be the case, the "mean girl" stereotype would need to be seen as a positive one, or at least tolerated (girls will be girls?).

RR44

Jan 29, 2024
What I think term "toxic masculinity" means, is that the society (as a whole, or in certain pockets of it) has certain expectations and standards for male behaviour that are at closer examination are harmful to others and society and general. Examples: aggression, violence, control and dominance. There is no term for toxic femininity, because there are no such negative societal pressures for female behaviour.

Now, there are men and women that do bad things, but the term applies not to individual behaviour, but to society's standards/stereotypes/pressures.
Great post and I believe you may have inadvertently brought up why there's confusion. Control and dominance over someone through criminal, abhorent means is toxic behaviours. But those have nothing to do with masculine behaviours such as hard work, assertion, productive, caring, strength which are NOT toxic but are often confused as such by other groups. A person (or man in this discussion) can display toxic behaviours or masculine behaviours...but you cannot display both, it's contradictory.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
I think for that to be the case, the "mean girl" stereotype would need to be seen as a positive one, or at least tolerated (girls will be girls?).
I’ve always seen it as a group or herd type mentality mostly, granted I don’t really look into this type of stuff. Phenomena like beer muscle is pretty universally frowned upon and made fun of

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Great post and I believe you may have inadvertently brought up why there's confusion. Control and dominance over someone through criminal, abhorent means is toxic behaviours. But those have nothing to do with masculine behaviours such as hard work, assertion, productive, caring, strength which are NOT toxic but are often confused as such by other groups. A person (or man in this discussion) can display toxic behaviours or masculine behaviours...but you cannot display both, it's contradictory.
Why are those masculine traits? Honestly "caring" is much more traditionally considered a feminine trait, stoicism is considered more masculine.

It's only contradictory if you live in a dichotomous world. Some traits that are traditionally masculine are toxic, such as the belief in gender superiority that has existed forever. Emotional detachment is a toxic trait and considered masculine. Hard love is considered a masculine thing to do but has consistently been shown to do more damage than good. Toxic masculinity is about the traditional traits that we now know to be toxic, not the ones that are positive.

AzHawk

Dec 20, 2015

Thread's really ending with a whimper. Hoop Dreams and Jericho Mile are good sports movies that I didn't see mentioned.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I've been vetoed, my wife said Sandlot lol

Your wife is right. The Sandlot is easily the best sports movie ever. At minimum, it’s the greatest sports movie for children.

Is this real? I haven’t heard of this until now. Some of those players may have played a full career, had kids, won cups and accrued over 50 Mill in earnings by now. That would be some serious skeletons that pop up.

The Sandlot is a great Movie. We watch it as a group at the Cottage every summer.

• Love
Reactions: Deadly Dogma

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Why are those masculine traits? Honestly "caring" is much more traditionally considered a feminine trait, stoicism is considered more masculine.

It's only contradictory if you live in a dichotomous world. Some traits that are traditionally masculine are toxic, such as the belief in gender superiority that has existed forever. Emotional detachment is a toxic trait and considered masculine. Hard love is considered a masculine thing to do but has consistently been shown to do more damage than good. Toxic masculinity is about the traditional traits that we now know to be toxic, not the ones that are positive.
I don't really agree, you have to look at the human animal and what allowed us to become the dominant species on the planet.
To say the traits that allow us to survive when times are tough are toxic, does a disservice to our ancestors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad