Five members from Canada’s 2018 world junior team (Hart, McLeod, Dube, Foote and Formenton) told to surrender to police, facing sexual assault charges

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Actually, the first conversation I had when the investigation reopened was in a hockey dressing room with my men's team. As a father of three daughters, I pointed out to the guys that my biggest wonder was, "Where was the good guy? The guy that says, boys, this is f***ed up. Stop it or someone is going to get in huge trouble. It's just wrong."

Back in the day, I had a friend who had a toxic relationship with his girlfriend. (Mutual physical abuse) When I was around, I would step between them to ensure their safety. (Mostly of her since he was 6 inches taller and 150lbs heavier) My friend one time tried to knee me in the balls so he could get to her. It was my duty to protect a female in trouble.

I still wonder about the 2018 guys, "Where was the good guy?"
yes, this times a million, I asked myself the same question,
In my optimistic mind I just assume 1 of the guys would have spoke up.

meh, its just bs, the same people that always get outraged are the same ones that would overlook his obvious meaning and no one really cares what they think anymore.

Reactions: 333359

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
No yikes. Hockey players aren't good at saying anything other than. "We came out hard, gave 100%, got pucks in deep, got great saves. Lucky to get the win." This is such a twist of words nothingburger if I have ever seen one.
exactly, they are just trying to find a reason to be upset, its a pure dick move IMO

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
No yikes. Hockey players aren't good at saying anything other than. "We came out hard, gave 100%, got pucks in deep, got great saves. Lucky to get the win." This is such a twist of words nothingburger if I have ever seen one.

Most specialty communities talk in the jargon of their field. Saying what he said is on par with the hockey version of that.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Is it normal to be almost as upset about the fact they allegedly spit on her as the rape itself?
The thought of the rape is very upsetting and has my dad instincts wanting to save the courts some money, but they fact they allegedly spit on her really pisses me off!!!

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016

Wow, couldn't have worded that more terribly. It sounds like he's saying the only reason he wasnt involved in something like that is due to chance. Which in part would be true (someone walking in and then leaving the scene for instance), but given we are talking about sexual assault here, it's not the best look.

That being said, before y'all come at me, I wouldn't look into it too much. Given that this is a hockey related interview, as someone else said it's not exactly far fetched he went into "PR mode" and started applying known hockey jargon.

Not fair to judge someone's whole character off this one thing that could have just been a brain fart for all we know. As someone that hates public speaking, I can't say I'd be any more eloquent if I was interviewed to talk about something so serious

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
thats a good point, was the goal simply to propagate, or to live happily while propagating at a slower rate?

Not sure what you mean by a goal. Evolution doesn't have a goal, it's about throwing things into the melting pot and letting them, well, evolve. It has created humans, whales, elephants, rats, cockroaches and roundworms.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Wow, couldn't have worded that more terribly. It sounds like he's saying the only reason he wasnt involved in something like that is due to chance. Which in part is true (someone walking in and then leaving the scene for instance), but given we are talking about sexual assault here, it's not the best look.

That being said, before y'all come at me, I wouldn't look into it too much. Given that this is a hockey related interview, as someone else said it's not exactly far fetched he went into "PR mode" and started applying known hockey jargon.

Not fair to judge someone's whole character off this one thing that could have just been a brain fart for all we know.
I will admit he did use poor phrasing but his meaning was clear.

Reactions: tucker3434

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK

I think it's pretty clear what hw is saying.

He is happy that he was not there. Not because it stopped him from participating in a potencial gang rape but rather because there would have been speculation he did participate if he was there even if he didn't.

"A fortunate bounce" means something lucky and he is right that he is lucky he wasn't in the country at the time and is above suspicion.

I think it's a good practice to at least attempt to take the charitable view of what people are saying rather then try to find mal intent in every public utterance.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Not sure what you mean by a goal. Evolution doesn't have a goal, it's about throwing things into the melting pot and letting them, well, evolve. It has created humans, whales, elephants, rats, cockroaches and roundworms.
by goal I was referring to the prime directive or the main evolutionary drive.
right now I would say all life shares the prime directive to propagate but did human evolution take a turn and we put raw total #'s aside, slow propagation rate to fit the change from hunter gatherer to farming.
In the times of hunter gatherer we had to reproduce as much and as often as possible due to the high attrition rates and short life spans.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think it's pretty clear what hw is saying.

He is happy that he was not there. Not because it stopped him from participating in a potencial gang rape but rather because there would have been speculation he did participate if he was there even if he didn't.

"A fortunate bounce" means something lucky and he is right that he is lucky he wasn't in the country at the time and is above suspicion.

I think it's a good practice to at least attempt to take the charitable view of what people are saying rather then try to find mal intent in every public utterance.
That’s what I got too.
1. He knew what happened most likely after it took place as he just wasn’t there at that time.
2. He would had been part of it if he was there.
3. He felt lucky that he probably went to McDonalds instead of the bar or stay in his room and played Minecraft that night.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
Actually, the first conversation I had when the investigation reopened was in a hockey dressing room with my men's team. As a father of three daughters, I pointed out to the guys that my biggest wonder was, "Where was the good guy? The guy that says, boys, this is f***ed up. Stop it or someone is going to get in huge trouble. It's just wrong."

Back in the day, I had a friend who had a toxic relationship with his girlfriend. (Mutual physical abuse) When I was around, I would step between them to ensure their safety. (Mostly of her since he was 6 inches taller and 150lbs heavier) My friend one time tried to knee me in the balls so he could get to her. It was my duty to protect a female in trouble.

I still wonder about the 2018 guys, "Where was the good guy?"
I think there’s a good chance someone said something hence the 2 videos.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
My second (first post got deleted by mods) post on this thread will just say this: Carter Hart, Dillon Dube, Alex Formenton, Cal Foote, and - especially - Michael McLeod can go f*** themselves.

Reactions: hockwresjj

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

Yeah, so this is like when we discussed the Flames initial response last week.

Obviously the bigger sin by far is the allegation of sexual abuse, but this just sounds terrible.

"Not participating in a sexual assault" is not the same as "a lucky bounce".

He was told not to comment (by whom is not said) - he should have stuck with that advice.

Reactions: Pink Mist

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
I didn't want to have to say it but since you brought it up I have to let everyone here know evolution does indeed have a goal and that goal was me. Sorry folks that's it , it's all downhill from here....back to the sea we go.....

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Obviously I understand what Makar meant

But his choice of word just goes to show him and probably most of the nhl players are not well media trained

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Makar just phrased it poorly. I know where he was going with it and what he was TRYING to say. Like if the guy got even so much as one text message he'd be a person of interest bound to endless questions and scrutiny in the investigation. Not to say he didn't but I once got dragged into a deposition and was grilled for well more than an hour (maybe close to 2) over a slip and fall I didn't witness. This was of course because I had the unfortunate business of being called from what I was doing to clean up the water puddle. You'd have thought I planted the spill and f***ing pushed her after the way I was treated.

This is what amounts to a gang rape. Makar just needs to realize he needs to be very diligent in how he phrases his lack of involvement. Thank God he wasn't. But damn man that was poor word choice

Last edited:
Reactions: cptjeff

RR44

Jan 29, 2024
Thread's really ending with a whimper. Hoop Dreams and Jericho Mile are good sports movies that I didn't see mentioned.
Sports movies at this moment I think are 👍:

-Field of Dreams
-Slapshot
-Eight Men Out
-Friday Night Lights
-Raging Bull
-Rocky to Rocky III
-Rudy
-All The Right Moves
-Miracle
-Invictus
-Major League