Five members from Canada’s 2018 world junior team (Hart, McLeod, Dube, Foote and Formenton) told to surrender to police, facing sexual assault charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
Yes because they have no choice, but video is taken before and after. If you don't then a man can find themselves accused of rape. Woman gets rejected at some point? Claim she was raped. Regrets having sex? Say she was raped. This HAPPENS, so some men have resorted to drastic measures to protect themselves.

Now I can already see some people getting triggered, THIS DUDE SAYS THESE PLAYERS DID NOTHING WRONG BLAAARAGGHGH. Not saying that, if you think so then you are bad at thinking.
I don't have a hard time believing that a handful of men somewhere have asked for a post-sex consent video. But you called me hopelessly out of touch for not realizing it was now a normal thing to do. Is there somewhere I can read up on this now-common thing that men are doing?

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
I don't have a hard time believing that a handful of men somewhere have asked for a post-sex consent video. But you called me hopelessly out of touch for not realizing it was now a normal thing to do. Is there somewhere I can read up on this now-common thing that men are doing?
I never used the word normal. But it's a thing, many articles out there like this
You should have permission for every activity at every stage of a sexual encounter. It’s also important to note that consent can be removed at any time — after all, people do change their minds!

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I have a very strong feeling that no one here is going to gain any actual 'flex' if their examples are shown to be the worst. Our motivation is pretty clearly one of cataloguing, not of ordering. And it's a sobering reminder as to how many black eyes this game has had. Think about what a.. individual that Theo Fleury is on social media, but surely some part of that has to be a receipt for the trauma he endured as a child.

Of course, plenty of it is him being an asshole like he always was.

And an explanation is not an exculpation.

But you can't tell me that his bad behaviour doesn't have at least somewhat of a predictable genesis.
Oh sure but then you get people fighting about is rape worse or better than death it's like why rank different bad things just note the amount of them ? Idk

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
Only men like Hank Plank need to do it, that's why. ;)

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I don't disagree with this. And it's not good. I wish they all would come forth and file reports. But I'm sure you agree (as you say), that doesn't make it wrong to hope for people to reserve final judgement until those charged are judged in a court of law. I'm shocked people jumped all over me in this thread for saying that. And accused me of some sublime conspiracy theory that I secretly am cheering rapists. Our society has totally devolved at a rapid rate in this manner. From politics, to gender issues, to SA and on and on. Wasn't like that at one time. And I'm old enough to remember.

Society hasn’t devolved, you just stopped evolving with it. We can tell that you’re old enough to remember, trust me.

For context, there are 1.6 million trans people, or less than one half of a percent of the population of the USA. If you think that's a problem with society, stop watching FOX News.

Last edited:

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
Society hasn’t devolved, you just stopped evolving with it. We can tell that you’re old enough to remember, trust me.
Nice. Personal attack and no way to report it.

You know what, I have and still would stand in between ANYONE SA someone and the victim. IE, put myself in harms way to do it. How about you? What exactly have YOU ever done other than chirp on an internet board? I thought so...

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
You totally missed, but accidently proved my point.
I didn't miss the point at all. Society hasn't devolved. Shitty people have exhibited shitty behavior for the entirety of human existence. Society at large is sick of it and finally speaking up and/or acting out to attempt to put a stop to it. That's evolution.

Looking down on those for standing up for themselves? That's going the wrong way...

Reactions: Holocene and AzHawk

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
I didn't miss the point at all. Society hasn't devolved. Shitty people have exhibited shitty behavior for the entirety of human existence. Society at large is sick of it and finally speaking up and/or acting out to attempt to put a stop to it. That's evolution.

Looking down on those for standing up for themselves? That's going the wrong way...
Where did I do that? Nowhere...so what's shitty, is you accusing me of something I never did.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I really really hate this way of thinking.

By your same logic men are the worst abusers in society as all we ever hear and read about is men abusing women.

Statistically speaking the highest domestic violence rates are among lesbian couples.

I'm making no comment on anyones personal position, but at least understand context and nuance before making sweeping statements.

Speculation is bad, but I'm more concerned about someone breaking the law and putting peoples lives in danger then speculation.

Might just be me though.
I was responding to the position that some have that say that it’s unfair to assume that men don’t have a higher level of responsibility when it comes to rape. It’s nonsensical. Does it carry unfair implications for men that don’t behave that way? Of course. But it is what it is.

Those that suggest that men are somehow at the same level of risk for this abhorrent behavior as women? Come on man. You may hate the implications, but you may have to deal with it.

No one is saying that men are somehow subhumans, but if you really think that’s men don’t sexually abuse women far far more than the other way around, I don’t know what to say other than the facts are most definitely against you.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
I never used the word normal. But it's a thing, many articles out there like this
Well yes, you should always have consent. But we’re talking about whether or not it’s normal to pull out a phone and ask for video consent.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Hockey Canada should get a ban from the world juniors.
At minimum, they should stop hosting every other year. Maybe give some of the tournaments that they would’ve hosted to the US.

The IIHF didn’t allow Israel to participate for security reasons; well they should worry about the safety of Canadian women too, who have their assault cases covered up by Hockey Canada.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
You know what? I'm so embarrassed and ashamed (if all proves to be true) that I agree.

Remember the summit on what's wrong with Team Canada years ago? I think this is a little more important. Need that summit - with major changes - now.
I mean tbh pretty much every country deserves a ban lol. Lord knows the US does for the many atrocities they've committed or supported (even to the present day) but that would be a long derail so I'll leave it at that.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Where did I do that? Nowhere...so what's shitty, is you accusing me of something I never did.
Ok. Let's take a step back to make sure no one is misinterpreting someone.

"Our society has totally devolved at a rapid rate in this manner. From politics, to gender issues, to SA and on and on. Wasn't like that at one time. And I'm old enough to remember."

How has society totally devolved? Shitty politics, gender issues, SA are not new. Not in the slightest. They've been part of human history for the entirety of human history. What has changed is that people are no longer hiding and/or putting up with bullshit from others anymore. That's moving in the right direction.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
I mean tbh pretty much every country deserves a ban lol. Lord knows the US does for the many atrocities they've committed or supported (even to the present day) but that would be a long derail so I'll leave it at that.
What does any of that have to do with hockey?

Comparing Hockey Canada’s crimes that directly relate to their hockey team to the US’s crimes as a whole is absolutely ridiculous.

I’d agree if USA Hockey has a history of this. Maybe they do and I’m unaware, though.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
I thought it was 5. The thread title says 5. Now it's 4?

I'm not staying up-to-date with any of this. And I have no idea how this may impact their respective teams (or even if they are taking a leave of absence said teams). The discussion is moot at this point I suppose.

Four from NHL teams, one in Europe. NHL players on leave amid sexual assault inquiry

Reactions: Devonator

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I do understand and don’t disagree. Two very drunk people have sex - is it fair that one gender is going to be unfairly targeted as being the aggressor if things go wrong and the other person regrets a drunk decision? No it is not - again assuming everything was as consensual as a drunk agreement can be.

But it’s not a fair world. And as it relates to this, the fact that men overwhelmingly are the aggressors in rape cases and women get raped on a regular basis in the US every day —- well, tough shit fellow hombres. We have to be aware of that and have to be cleaner than clean if we want to avoid the risk of being unfairly accused. Hell, most women who are raped are not believed or are somehow left to believe they somehow asked for it.

And speaking for myself as a white male, it’d be pretty soft of me to whine about that. The privileges I was born with (and did absolutely nothing to earn) are plenty. If one of the “burdens” I have to bear is to have to be extra careful about having sex when with a drunk girl, so be it.

I appreciate the civility in your reply, a tone I will endeavour to return. If my response comes across as trenchant, please parse that as my passion about the subject matter and not any attack on you.

First, I vehemently reject your framing of complaints about this double standard as 'soft whining'. A description of this sort might invoke a man going to a Dodgers game on Mother's Day, where they were giving out free handbags to any woman who attended, and reminding them that California state law means you have to give me a freebie too. That, I could see getting an eye roll and a 'technically he's right, but I hope he's happy, whatever bro' dismissal

What I am railing against has consequences that are not measured in a missed freebie. We are talking unequal protection under the law in criminal cases with severe consequences -- like we're looking at here. When it happens on campus, we are talking a Title 9 violation. And these are not just my idle exaggerations, these are the conclusions of court cases and lawsuits -- and more are coming every day.

Secondly, I reject your framing that the correct response to this is a "tough shit, fellow men, there's no reason to advocate against anti-male sexist biases". That's up to you how or if you want to be an activist, but even at that, us having different angles of activism doesn't mean that we must therefore be opposers, or that you must therefore seek to defend or strengthen this sexist double standard. Plenty of my allies on this issue are feminists who understand that the underlying hypocrisy of the slut/stud dichotomy has plenty of misogynistic consequences, and that through allyship, we can cover more of the issue than we could separately.

You don't have to be my opposer on this situation. If you choose to, of course that's your choice.

Thirdly, though neither of us are likely to experience any life-changing metanoia over this discussion, I think there's an important blind spot in your rhetoric and I think it's a dangerous one: while you correctly conclude that most victims of sexual assault are women and that victims of sexual assault face a challenge being accepted as such, the underlying inference that this difficulty singularly applies to women victims.

On the contrary, I'd say this difficulty is even greater for male victims of sexual assault.

If you recall my discussion of a bog-standard series of events in Las Vegas that lead to statutory rape, while yes it is difficult for a woman in that situation to get justice, at least we're even willing to say she was a victim of rape in the first place, and we as a society are far less likely to do so for men.

And this is precisely because of the double standard I'm speaking of, the same double standard you are dismissing as 'soft whining', that women who commit sexual assault receive much lighter sentences and are incarcerated far less --as with all crimes, actually; Dr. Sonja Starr's 2010 study estimated this bias as over 6x larger the equivalently measured pro-white race bias, and I don't need to convince you how big THAT bias is.

And yes, judges have on occasions defended their double standards with an open candor that would make Tim Peel shit his pants.

If judicial double standards don't sway you, just look at our culture. How many more movies like Wedding Crashers or 40 Days and 40 Nights or Super or Big Daddy need to be released before even someone in your position decides to say "yeah, this needs to change"?

Cause I gotta tell you, I don't like it, I don't like any of it, and I think it's important enough that it merits activism and that it merits serious treatment and that laws need to keep changing as they have.

And if you disagree, well, then you disagree. And to complain about that, I'd
definitely count as 'soft whining'

Peace out.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
What does any of that have to do with hockey?

Comparing Hockey Canada’s crimes that directly relate to their hockey team to the US’s crimes as a whole is absolutely ridiculous.

I’d agree if USA Hockey has a history of this. Maybe they do and I’m unaware, though.
Well they banned Russia for stuff unrelated to the players and perpetrated by their government.

The US has certainly done enough bad shit to be worthy of the same.

But like I said I don't want to distract from this issue.

More stating how I think it's f***ed up that Russian eats a ban for what they did and hockey Canada is gonna get off scot free for this. Maybe some members of management and players face repercussions, but the program as a whole will go on and not face the music over this.

I hope I'm wrong.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton

Not the US team itself though.
But do agree. Grounds for many countries to not participate exists

Reactions: Pancakes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad