Five members from Canada’s 2018 world junior team (Hart, McLeod, Dube, Foote and Formenton) told to surrender to police, facing sexual assault charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
What could that evidence be? All I can think of is someone who was there acts as a witness against their teammates.
Not a lawyer- but things I can think of that could be used to support her side of the story-

She isn't alleging that they held her down and forced themselves on her- rather a combination of her both being too drunk to consent, and not wanting to consent but being "directed, manipulated and intimidated into remaining,". So what could that evidence be? Anything that corroborates her hesitance/desire to stop and the players recognizing it and pushing her to continue.

The "consent" video itself could speak to her intoxication/capacity at the time, as well potential duress. The very existence of the second video could be used to infer that something happened in that hour that gave the players concern and reason to want it- such as her wanting to stop.

Texts between players showing their observations of her behavior/ their misgivings at the time

Possible videos between the two that are publicly known of

Bartender/Uber driver witness accounts of her level of intoxication

The statements of the players themselves

Security footage of the golf clubs going into the room

Etc etc.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
What could that evidence be? All I can think of is someone who was there acts as a witness against their teammates.
That’s about the only thing that would be worth a darn at this stage. damming forensic or video/photo evidence would have been available 6 years ago so odds are it’s not that. I’m just surprised someone would be willing to be a “rat” in a situation where there was no solid evidence anyway, so what exactly would you be saving yourself from if there was no real possible charge to get a lighter sentence on

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
That’s about the only thing that would be worth a darn at this stage. damming forensic or video/photo evidence would have been available 6 years ago so odds are it’s not that. I’m just surprised someone would be willing to be a “rat” in a situation where there was no solid evidence anyway, so what exactly would you be saving yourself from if there was no real possible charge to get a lighter sentence on
Being a human being with morality?

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Two things here :
- E.M. may be cooperating more than she was in 2018-2019.
- If there is indeed a "rat", it better not be that guy who couldn't get an NHL offer, because optics that didn't look great are now looking much worse.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
Z
There are tons of articles naming the players.

Yes, but they are naming players who have been granted leaves of absence from their teams, not the players who have been “invited” to surrender to police. Sure, there may be a link, but there also may not be, and to claim that there indeed is a link is a matter of speculation at this point in time.

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005
There are tons of articles naming the players.

This article does not directly link the five players to the five as-yet unconfirmed players.

You’re actually making a great point for our policy because you’re proving that people won’t be able to handle the distinction.

You’re even responding to my specific response to this (which is still true in the link you provide here) so I’m not sure what you think is different here.

I’ve read this article two dozen times because people keep sending it to me as “proof” and I’m hoping they added something to the article, but nope. Sane article. Same implied connection but not stated. The article is having you make the conclusion. The article does not present the conclusion.

Stop sending me this same article, folks.

Last edited:

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
A second video, 12 seconds long, was filmed at 4:26 am.

“Are you recording me?” E.M. said on the video. “Okay, good. It was all consensual. You are so paranoid. Holy. I enjoyed it. It was fine. It was all consensual

• Haha
Reactions: MXD

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Being a human being with morality?
Never happens in these cases, if you were gonna do that you’d have done that right away, not years later. It’s possible they used a tactic often used by investigators where they might have scared them into thinking they had evidence they didn’t actually have in order to get a reaction from the suspected party or parties. It’s perfectly legal, at least here in the US to falsely tell a suspect you know something you don’t in order to see if they’ll talk and or change their behaviors indicating they have committed the crime. I’m sure it’ll all come out at some stage

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Conscience?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

“Are you recording me?” E.M. said on the video. “Okay, good. It was all consensual. You are so paranoid. Holy. I enjoyed it. It was fine. It was all consensual. I am so sober, that’s why I can’t do this right now."
Why did you omit the below context, and the bolded word salad?

"In one of the videos, the woman is seen wiping her eyes and slurring her words, the documents said."

The police have the video. At this point it's looking like charges will be laid, either inspite of it- or even partly because of it.

Reactions: Holocene and AzHawk

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Of these 5 players let’s say in a hypothetical situation one of them is a élite goalie and the said goalie is not convicted but his name is tarnished would the said goalie still have a future in the NHL or would he get the Voynov treatment?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This article does not directly link the five players to the five as-yet unconfirmed players.

You’re actually making a great point for our policy because you’re proving that people won’t be able to handle the distinction.

You’re even responding to my specific response to this (which is still true in the link you provide here) so I’m not sure what you think is different here.

I’ve read this article two dozen times because people keep sending it to me as “proof” and I’m hoping they added something to the article, but nope. Sane article. Same implied connection but not stated. The article is having you make the conclusion. The article does not present the conclusion.

Stop sending me this same article, folks.
Fool me once shame on you fool me a dozen times shame on....

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Never happens in these cases, if you were gonna do that you’d have done that right away, not years later. It’s possible they used a tactic often used by investigators where they might have scared them into thinking they had evidence they didn’t actually have in order to get a reaction from the suspected party or parties. It’s perfectly legal, at least here in the US to falsely tell a suspect you know something you don’t in order to see if they’ll talk and or change their behaviors indicating they have committed the crime. I’m sure it’ll all come out at some stage
While what you're saying about the tactics might be correct, people that committed or witnessed a crime and stayed silent only to speak without even any pressure several years later has happened before.

Human psychology is complex, but in these cases, it might be that the feeling of guilt just gets overwhelming. It might be the lack of courage back then. And so on.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012

“Are you recording me?” E.M. said on the video. “Okay, good. It was all consensual. You are so paranoid. Holy. I enjoyed it. It was fine. It was all consensual

The fact that they felt like they needed to make that video should set off alarm bells. Also, what would you expect her to say after just being raped for hours and the only way out is through a room full of men that just raped her?

heynowbababooey

Sep 29, 2017
After skimming through a few pages here I'm surprised this thread hasn't been locked. I've seen threads way less tense and less controversial than this shut down in less than an hour.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
Of these 5 players let’s say in a hypothetical situation one of them is a élite goalie and the said goalie is not convicted but his name is tarnished would the said goalie still have a future in the NHL or would he get the Voynov treatment?

Even if not convicted, depending on the evidence presented at the trial, teams may find that these players violated the "morality clause" (whatever they call it these days) and find these players unsuitable to be signed.

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
This topic shouldn't be discussed until after the trial. These 5 players are not even convicted yet, it's circumstantial evidence because they left their teams for personal reasons. I'm sure that these are the players in question, but there's no proof and everyone is innocent until proven guilty.

Jugitsu

Sponsor
Dec 24, 2016
Finland
There is an inherent dimness kind of baked into them.

If it's only 4... should do

Canada
USA
Scandinavia
Central Europe (Germany, Switzerland, Czechia, Slovakia, etc...)

this is going to be the main evidence, corroboration between the players and the victim. Especially if one of these witnesses is an accessory and wants to plea out by helping the investigation

Not a lawyer- but things I can think of that could be used to support her side of the story-

She isn't alleging that they held her down and forced themselves on her- rather a combination of her both being too drunk to consent, and not wanting to consent but being "directed, manipulated and intimidated into remaining,". So what could that evidence be? Anything that corroborates her hesitance/desire to stop and the players recognizing it and pushing her to continue.

The "consent" video itself could speak to her intoxication/capacity at the time, as well potential duress. The very existence of the second video could be used to infer that something happened in that hour that gave the players concern and reason to want it- such as her wanting to stop.

Texts between players showing their observations of her behavior/ their misgivings at the time

Etc etc.

Good points. Will be interesting to see how thing unfold. Because it's hard to believe they are working with the exact same information they had 6 years ago.

Edit: I have no idea how the first 2 quotes were added to this message.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Would someone really call police back after filing a report to say stop with any proceedings? If you really felt some sort of assault was taken on you there is no way you call them back and say to stop any proceedings. Am I wrong here?

Lots of conflicting stuff. I guess the trial will show what really happened.

Reactions: hoglund

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019

Etc etc.
Intoxication isn’t a defence in most cases the exception are being drugged or pressured into drinking.

Strangle

Leafs Smol PP
May 4, 2009
Even if this was "consensual", you have to be an immense scum bag to want to gang bang some drunk girl.

All these players will be tainted regardless of outcome.

This is the truth right here. The law abiding part of this isn’t exactly objective, as most of it resides in what is in one persons mind.

But morally, these dudes are f***ing scum bags either way

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
Found guilty or not, theese guys should face justice. Not only the 5, but the guys watching too. As a dad of 2 daughters, I`m absolutely not ok with 8 guys taking advantage of 1 girl, no matter how drunk she was and if she said "no" or not. They should all face justice. In 1 way or another...
Agreed, as the father of two sons, I am raising them to treat women as equals in all situations and NEVER EVER take advantage of anyone. Make sure you raise your daughters to never allow themselves to be in a situation where it is her and multiple hockey players....or guys in general where alcohol and hormones' are involved.

Reactions: jonlin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad