Five members from Canada’s 2018 world junior team (Hart, McLeod, Dube, Foote and Formenton) told to surrender to police, facing sexual assault charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I mean, can we be honest here? We know when something is over the line with a random hookup. I feel like people who say that "every athlete should watch their back" don't understand social cues, you can tell when another person is super uneasy about a situation.

The point - not in the context of this case, but just as it relates to receiving explicit consent - is that while you should absolutely know if something crosses the line, there still have existed cases where nothing did cross any line, adults had consensual sex and then allegations were leveled anyway after the fact. Without explicit consent, anyone can accuse you and it becomes he says/she says. I know that in this scenario that’s not really something that is in question, but as it related to the other poster suggesting that documenting consent was suspicious itself, the reality is that in 2024 it behoves most single athletes, entertainers and celebrities to do so. Really everyone, but no one was sleeping with me in my late 20s and then realizing I had $380 in my bank account that they could get a cut of. Again, I am not applying that to this specific situation nor calling any genuine victims anything other than victims. It is documented and has been seen many times however where the accuser ended up being a liar. Not this case. Just as it relates to my statement about successful young athletes and why gaining consent shouldn’t be an indication of guilt itself.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
The point - not in the context of this case, but just as it relates to receiving explicit consent - is that while you should absolutely know if something crosses the line, there still have existed cases where nothing did cross any line, adults had consensual sex and then allegations were leveled anyway after the fact. Without explicit consent, anyone can accuse you and it becomes he says/she says. I know that in this scenario that’s not really something that is in question, but as it related to the other poster suggesting that documenting consent was suspicious itself, the reality is that in 2024 it behoves most single athletes, entertainers and celebrities to do so. Really everyone, but no one was sleeping with me in my late 20s and then realizing I had $380 in my bank account that they could get a cut of. Again, I am not applying that to this specific situation nor calling any genuine victims anything other than victims. It is documented and has been seen many times however where the accuser ended up being a liar. Not this case. Just as it relates to my statement about successful young athletes and why gaining consent shouldn’t be an indication of guilt itself.

He and she said would be a civil case, but like you said this is clearly far greater than that right now. You don't pursue criminal charges without evidence as a prosecutor. As for your other point about being in the limelight of the public eye, you can obviously enjoy your fame/riches but if you decide to be risky and do dumb shit, well, you're gonna win stupid prizes. There's plenty of athletes who don't even touch that side of the public eye and just stay at home and play video games or do other stuff that isn't even close to putting them in a bad situation

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
What I want to know is, does no one else on that team know what happened?

These players had sex with this woman (consensually or not, I’m not arguing that), and not one of them bragged about it to anyone else on the team?

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I'm impressed this thread is still going. 61 pages and counting of mod-approved posts? They deserve a raise.

NICE!!!!!!

Wait..............

0 + 20% = 0!

WTF, where's my agent?
126b8686b0c817ba4e25b392ea20702a.gif

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
but as it related to the other poster suggesting that documenting consent was suspicious itself
Documenting consent isn't suspicious in and of itself.

The documentation containing a girl reportedly wiping her eyes and slurring her words- words that heavily imply that she was pressured into saying them, ending with a phrase that doesn't make any sense? Suspicious

That they strongly felt the need to document consent a 2nd time in the same night, an hour later? Suspicious

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I must admit reading this has been a bit of an eye opener

I hope a good portion of you never see the inside of a jury room because "the prosecution decided to bring charges" doesn't mean somebody is guilty of the things there being charged with

Prosecutors can be wrong, hell they can also have agendas and i dont care which country you are from history shows plenty of people have been wrongly charged and convicted over the years

These guys are innocent until proven guilty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad