Five members from Canada’s 2018 world junior team (Hart, McLeod, Dube, Foote and Formenton) told to surrender to police, facing sexual assault charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
I haven’t followed this story too much but all the info I can find is that she went in the hotel room willingly engaged with one player but more would come in followed by acts that she didn’t consent to. What proof is there in cases like this.
The incident happened in June of 2018. London Police have had five and a half years to investigate. They have not disclosed their investigative file. Are you seriously expecting a bunch of anonymous posters on a hockey fan board to know what the proof is? Seriously????

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
I hope justice is served.

And that hockey culture has a long overdue reckoning. Now, of course these problems are pervasive across all of society, but that doesn't mean they're aren't things specific to hockey, especially in Canada, that don't need addressing.

Moreso than any other sport, hockey leans into nostalgia. Kids skating on frozen ponds, peewees wearing ties to the rink, the arena being the heartbeat of the community from coast to coast to coast. All this is based on a premise that all this is done (perhaps the best comparison is high school football in the US) because these are GOOD kids. They're the kids with crew cuts from yesteryear.

It's myth making and it's dangerous. I'm not saying we all have to be cynics and hate and mistrust athletes, but someone's worth isn't determined based on their ability to play a sport no matter what TSN and the WJC try to tell us or Sportsnet and Hockey Day in Canada try to tell us.

Because once we accept that as the premise, THAT's how victims get maligned, because we've decided in our minds these are good boys from good families who play for OUR team. They can't possibly be in the wrong.

All of it needs to end, no matter who it makes uncomfortable in the process.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Betting on someone being killed and wanting to bet on whether someone raped someone else or not.

Fair enough. Here’s my position: when people bet on the outcome of things like that, it’s completely decoupled from any actual moral judgment.

Back in my day, “bad words” were allowed in tournament Scrabble play. And this includes ethnic slurs. But when I’d play even “that slur”, it had absolutely zero meaning; the only reason I played “that word” is because neither SERGING nor GINGERS would fit.

Did you know that, one year, the French language Scrabble champ was an autistic Welsh man who didn’t speak a word of French, but was simply bored.

It is with that complete lack of any meaning that, when I estimated that Arias had a sub-1% chance of getting the chair, and someone offered me a bet that broke even at 9%, I took it.

At worst, I was no more immoral than an insurance company; but far to the better, unlike insurance companies, when I lose a bet, I pay up, not lawyer up.

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
Have we learned nothing? The answer is NO. How many false allegations have to exist before we stop rushing to judgement. And I know I know some are going to lose their shit about now, you rapist apologist. Let's WAIT until they all get their day in court let the justice system work. If found guilty we all accept they are guilty and vile pieces of crap.

Of course such reasonable thinking seems to be mostly lacking in society.

seamore

May 16, 2013
Random posters:

4e9e1c1c-02e2-4ba4-a5ab-9fb696a7eef0_text.gif

HF Admin:

"This is Modtatorship!"
V4O9eO.gif
***INSERT Mark Zuckerberg****

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
This whole situation is ugly.

Like many sexual assault cases this could be a my-word-against-yours situation. We may never see closure here and if we do get names they will be stained in the eyes of many even without a conviction

Reactions: HBK27

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
Serious business here. Let's hope they get it right and justice is served, whatever the outcome.

The whole thing is bizzare and people's trolling and reactions are even more bananas from people in this thread.

Have some compassion and sympathy for the victim and the parents of the alleged offenders. As a parent, you'd be destroyed if your child was involved in this or suspectted of, either side of the fence. is absolutely terrible.

The more I read about the one memember who claimed to 'not know what he was seeing' as described by his agent. Angers me to no end, the in-action.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Don’t get why people are getting angry with the NHL here.

It’s the CHL you should be mad at, them and hockey Canada are the ones that covered this up, the NHL had no hand in this until the allegations came to light and a good chunk of the guys from that team had already made the show.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Have we learned nothing? The answer is NO. How many false allegations have to exist before we stop rushing to judgement. And I know I know some are going to lose their shit about now, you rapist apologist. Let's WAIT until they all get their day in court let the justice system work. If found guilty we all accept they are guilty and vile pieces of crap.

Of course such reasonable thinking seems to be mostly lacking in society.
Acquittal due to lack of evidence is pretty common in rape cases. This does not mean that the accused didn't do it.

The focus on this case spurred by conversations like the one on this forum have probably resulted in a lot more people being educated on the concept of consent, so in the interest of triage, some misdirected outrage is worth starting to address the terrible treatment that so many women have had to endure.

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
The hell are you taking about. This news is literally everywhere.
Hah! It’s not getting reported on anywhere near the Corey Perry situation…remember the memes galore! Connor Bedard getting dragged into a totally false story…I’m Canadian and this story being ‘under mediaized’ is totally biased

• Haha
Reactions: HolyCrap

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Alleged vitcim passes a lie detector on the events that happened but according to a TSN article there is video and texts proving it was consensual.

Police believe they have enough evidence to press charges

One thing that stood our for me was this statement

E.M. describing it in the following way: ‘I don’t want to be doing this anymore,’ but also did not verbalize it to the guys inside the hotel room.

E.M. told police that no one physically stopped her from leaving the room.

In one six-second video recorded at about 3:25 am, an unidentified player asks E.M., “You’re okay with this”

“I’m okay with this,” she responds.

A second video, 12 seconds long, was filmed at 4:26 am.

“Are you recording me?” E.M. said on the video. “Okay, good. It was all consensual. You are so paranoid. Holy. I enjoyed it. It was fine. It was all consensual.

Why does it sound like it was consensual sex?

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
Alleged vitcim passes a lie detector on the events that happened but according to a TSN article there is video and texts proving it was consensual.

E.M. describing it in the following way: ‘I don’t want to be doing this anymore,’ but also did not verbalize it to the guys inside the hotel room.

In one six-second video recorded at about 3:25 am, an unidentified player asks E.M., “You’re okay with this”

“Are you recording me?” E.M. said on the video. “Okay, good. It was all consensual. You are so paranoid. Holy. I enjoyed it. It was fine. It was all consensual.

If you have to ask multiple times if it’s consensual while videotaping…

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Lie detectors are generally not admissible in court.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario

If it was consensual, there wouldn't be an investigation and pending charges. Anyone in her shoes would say anything to get out of that room safely.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
If it was consensual, there wouldn't be an investigation and pending charges. Anyone in her shoes would say anything to get out of that room safely.
Yet she said no one told her she couldn't leave and no one restrained her.

So if you enter a room, and a woman says its consensual and you don't restrain her you consider it rape? Sad culture we live in these days.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Yet she said no one told her she couldn't leave and no one restrained her.

So if you enter a room, and a woman says its consensual and you don't restrain her you consider it rape? Sad culture we live in these days.
Again I ask, if nothing happened, why is there a police investigation and criminal charges coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad