Five members from Canada’s 2018 world junior team (Hart, McLeod, Dube, Foote and Formenton) told to surrender to police, facing sexual assault charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019
Maybe so but Crown prosecutors get it wrong. Some charges don't even make it through the preliminary hearing stage. It's too early to say. All we know is that the Crown feels they have a case.
Which is why these guys can't just go back to playing hockey and why they need to report to the LPD, which I originally pointed out.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Good for Rick Westhead and all, but this is like chumming the waters before the news.
This just ensures that the London Police presser will have max max coverage.

Lots of speculation. Lots of clues. Lots of time to prepare and send in extra coverage.

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Do you have a brother, and/or do you have nephews? And if so, how would you react if an angry mod wanted their livelihoods destroyed because of guilt by association based on what their teammates did long after they left the room, for something that happened when they were a minor and something they didn't even take part of?
If my brother or my nephew saw a R*** and did nothing and he is over 18 which it most likely is the case in this situation I'm kicking his A** at the very least. To me if you are willing to see that and do nothing you are a coward and deserved to be named I don't care if you are my father, brother, nephew, uncle, and etc.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Which is why these guys can't just go back to playing hockey and why they need to report to the LPD, which I originally pointed out.

Agreed. Indefinite suspension during legal proceedings is the right way to go. It's a nice "probabilistic" punishment for something that may or may not be indicative of guilt.

During my days as a civvy with the Calgary Police, if I had been found at the scene of some crime, to the point where there was an investigation, I could have counted on a suspension until the matter was resolved. And it would have been real easy. I used to play in underground poker games and I attended many parties where then-illegal marijuana was _de rigeur_

If my brother or my nephew saw a R*** and did nothing and he is over 18 which it most likely is the case in this situation I'm kicking his A** at the very least. To me if you are willing to see that and do nothing you are a coward and deserved to be named I don't care if you are my father, brother, nephew, uncle, and etc.

To reiterate, it may well be the case that, when JD 6-8 left, they had witnessed nothing illegal. I apologize for being repetitive, but this is a key distinction and one that keeps getting dropped.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
If true, arguably the worst thing that's ever happened to Canadian hockey, and extrapolated, to the NHL. Maybe someone else can think of something worse, but I can't.

It's a dark day for me personally, and I'm sure for many of you also.

Reactions: Bone Density

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
It is entirely possible that what happened in the first ten minutes was not sexual assault. It is entirely possible that what happened up until that video ended was fully consensual. It is absolutely possible that the alleged crimes happened after the video ended and after JD 6-8 were long gone.

Remember, using Blackstone's Ratio literally, a guilty conviction means that the convicted person is at least -1000 to actually be guilty. If that standard can't be met, the conviction can't be given. And rather than open the NHL up to all kinds of potential litigation issues and all manners of union battles (because as Duke Lacrosse vs OJ shows us, not all odds below -1000 are identical), they could rightly be understood to set the standards based on what happens in the legal system.

And with that in mind, "indefinite suspension while charges are pending, suspension until after any legal penalty is concerned, reinstatement handled on a case by case basis" is the most logical way the NHL could navigate it; it's allowed them to handle the two very different cases of Slava Voynov and Austin Watson in appropriate fashion in the past, so I (for now) have faith in it here.
I can't say I've ever seen anyone turn Blackstone into gambling odds before.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
In the JFK assassination you have mysterious witnesses like the babushka lady and umbrella man. In the 2018 WJC Canada scandal you have the pizza player

For real though we don’t know what was going on when he was there for 10 minutes. It sucks he didn’t say anything but I’d imagine it’s hard as a teenager with peer pressure thinking he’s acting a cockblock. I’d imagine he kicks himself for not acting; he could have saved careers and a young girl. Not everyone is a stand up man as a teenager. Not to excuse him or condone but I think it’s a little more complicated. I have a hunch some of the “cooler” players acted as ringleaders in a sort of hazing type of situation

Aces89

Apr 22, 2020
Because in Canada, they haven't been fully charged with the crime to have their names public. I work at a jail and I read articles and their names aren't in them so I have to try to guess which new inmate did what when they come in
If they are being charged, why are they not being named at this point?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If true, arguably the worst thing that's ever happened to Canadian hockey, and extrapolated, to the NHL. Maybe someone else can think of something worse, but I can't.

Graeme James, and the fact due to fear of being exposed he denied kids proper access to mental health support after the the Four Broncos crash for fear it would get out. And, it continued after that.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

You mean like this month?

Chicago says hi. The Kyle Beach thing was awful and the inaction lead to things happening to minors afterward.

I think both are up there and that's just like the last year.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB

For Canadian hockey, agree 100%

For NHL hockey? Slava Voynov comes real close.

oilers winning the mcdavid lottery.

In the above spirit of sarcastic understatement:

The Arizona Coyotes

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
I understand that maybe legally they can't charge them but IMO the public deserves to know their name. Especially if they are in pro hockey leagues where ppl are literally cheering for these players.
I don’t know about that. We have one woman who has had her life completely messed up. We have 5 guys whose lives are probably ruined but whether or not they deserve that hasn’t been confirmed. If they did it then I sure hope they get what’s coming to them.

Not jumping on board with some sort of public witch hunt of 3 more guys of unknown level of involvement (though staying 10 minutes when you aren’t sure if it’s consensual or not is messed up and pretty damning).

I know way too many people who have experienced sexual assault/abuse but there’s a difference between a case reported in the media where we don’t have all the facts and can’t assess the credibility of the sides and someone personally disclosing to me. I know what I personally believe in this case (regardless of what people want to think innocent until proven guilty has never been about stopping people from having opinions) but I’m also not going to tar and feather people before we at least get a trial or guilty pleas and I’m not sold on publicly naming these other guys and derailing their lives before there are charges or they are witnesses in a trial

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
I'm aware. The comment I responded to suggested the players charged continue playing hockey as if nothing has changed. The prosecutor feels they have enough evidence now to convict in court and these are no longer empty claims.

I agree but the comment made no acknowledgement of the victim and so I was being facetious. That's like saying you feel bad for a school shooter's family without acknowledging any of the actual victims.

You need to go back and read the entire exchange.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
:thumbu:

I appreciate your comment and your point of view, but for personal reasons I choose to express my appreciation using a post and not the like button.

I completely understand; you are far from the only person to struggle with the dissonance between the literal reaction represented by a 'social media react' and the way they've all kind of been debased into a generic "roger that!" / "I hear that!" sentiment.

Obviously beyond any doubt, it's crystal clear none of us 'likes' any of these horrible events that we are talking about.

If speculation isn't allowed, why is this even a thread? Trying to get extra clicks for ad revenue?

People are talking about the facts of the charges, the facts of societal double standards, the facts of salient misogyny, the facts of hockey culture's toxic aspects, and we're all doing it just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad