Five members from Canada’s 2018 world junior team (Hart, McLeod, Dube, Foote and Formenton) told to surrender to police, facing sexual assault charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
The one and one thing alone I am doing in that post is refuting the assertion that "documenting consent is proof you are guilty, because no innocent person does that", by citing the sort of sexist double standards those young men would have encountered and heard about during the time they were sexually active, and that in the case where these boys are innocent and the charges are false, they would easily and also have done the same thing.

In no way am I equating what the prosecution alleges happened with a typical drunken hookup, no.

And if both parties were comparably intoxicated and both parties were thus unable to consent? Do we just go with the usual double standards?
I appreciate the explanation.

Reactions: AlphaLackey
Dec 15, 2002
I was at a gourmet burger place and decided to try a bacon cheeseburger with peanut butter. Delicious, but philosophically I didn't know what to think
This could have been a great Lounge thread - and god knows the Lounge needs a quality thread, since it hasn't had one in years - but no, it gets showcased here instead.

I blame Christina Woloski for this.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Keeping it specific to the London case(if you can get off your soapbox for just a second), when was the last time we've heard of 7-8 Women Hockey Players taking a drunken guy up to their rooms, then having repeated sex with him. Also throw in asking him to shower afterwards, and sign a consent form, while they loomed over him, as a group.

The answer is, it doesn't happen! Quit pretending that it does.

I have a question for you:

. A man is alone in Vegas.
. He is so drunk that he cannot consent to playing the table games anymore, never mind so drunk that he could consent to sex.
. He tries like mad to freshen up, takes a deep breath, and creeps carefully into a lounge and orders a drink.
. A sober woman sits next to him. That's the last thing he remembers.
. He wakes up the next morning in his hotel room, in some oblique position, with a spent or torn prophylactic on his lap.

Just going on this alone: would you say that the man was raped?

Without hesitation, with the genders reversed, we would say that the woman was raped. For a time in my life, laws would even have embodied that standard.

But as printed? Even if he was also robbed at the time, people would struggle to consider him a victim of robbery, much less rape.

And this double standard still pervades a whole lot of people. It still speaks to our grotesquely misogynist "slut/stud double standard" that still defines sexual access as something only men desire and something only women grant.

And in case you're wondering why I'm waiting for the court case to evolve so that we can get more information, that's why. "We all got drunk, we all got freaky, none of us could legally consent, but double standards say I alone am a victim" is a non-zero, non-trivial possibility.

I appreciate the explanation.

Just to be crystal clear: if what the prosecutors allege is the truth -- as is the very likely outcome -- then of course we are no longer dealing with a double standard of mutually drunk consent. As the Brock Turner case showed, it is still very possible with two drunk parties for one of them to commit rape.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Best grilled cheese I've ever made: bacon, smoked gouda, Granny Smith apple.

-You people make me sick
"A grilled cheese consists of only these following items. Cheese. Bread with spread (usually butter). This entire subreddit consist of "melts". Almost every "grilled cheese" sandwich i see on here has other items added to it. The fact that this subreddit is called "grilledcheese" is nothing short of utter blasphemy.

Let me start out by saying I have nothing against melts, I just hate their association with sandwiches that are not grilled cheeses. Adding cheese to your tuna sandwich? It's called a Tuna melt. Totally different. Want to add bacon and some pretentious bread crumbs with spinach? I don't know what the hell you'd call that but it's not a grilled cheese.

I would be more than willing to wager I've eaten more grilled cheeses in my 21 years than any of you had in your entire lives. I have one almost everyday and sometimes more than just one sandwich. Want to personalize your grilled cheese? Use a mix of different cheeses or use sourdough or french bread. But if you want to add some pulled pork and take a picture of it, make your own subreddit entitled "melts" because that is not a f***ing grilled cheese.

I'm not a religious man nor am I anything close to a culinary expert. But as a bland white mid-western male I am honestly the most passionate person when it comes to grilled cheese and mac & cheese. All of you foodies stay the hell away from our grilled cheeses and stop associating your sandwich melts with them. Yet again, it is utter blasphemy and it rocks me to the core of my pale being.

Shit, I stopped lurking after 3 years and made this account for the sole purpose of posting this. I've seen post after post of peoples "grilled cheeses" all over reddit and it's been driving me insane. The moment I saw this subreddit this morning I finally snapped. Hell, I may even start my own subreddit just because I know this one exists now.

You god damn heretics. Respect the grilled cheese and stop changing it into whatever you like and love it for it what it is. Or make your damn melt sandwich and call it for what it is. A melt."

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
From what I've read it says that John Does 1-8 committed acts towards the woman so why are only 5 players being charged?

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
From what I've read it says that John Does 1-8 committed acts towards the woman so why are only 5 players being charged?

Evidence may not exist to warrant charges for JD 6-8. Which is why I and many others have mentioned that the charges being laid in the first place is a huge statistical indicator of likely guilt. Charges don't come up lightly.

-You people make me sick
"A grilled cheese consists of only these following items. Cheese. Bread with spread (usually butter). This entire subreddit consist of "melts". Almost every "grilled cheese" sandwich i see on here has other items added to it. The fact that this subreddit is called "grilledcheese" is nothing short of utter blasphemy.

Let me start out by saying I have nothing against melts, I just hate their association with sandwiches that are not grilled cheeses. Adding cheese to your tuna sandwich? It's called a Tuna melt. Totally different. Want to add bacon and some pretentious bread crumbs with spinach? I don't know what the hell you'd call that but it's not a grilled cheese.

I would be more than willing to wager I've eaten more grilled cheeses in my 21 years than any of you had in your entire lives. I have one almost everyday and sometimes more than just one sandwich. Want to personalize your grilled cheese? Use a mix of different cheeses or use sourdough or french bread. But if you want to add some pulled pork and take a picture of it, make your own subreddit entitled "melts" because that is not a f***ing grilled cheese.

I'm not a religious man nor am I anything close to a culinary expert. But as a bland white mid-western male I am honestly the most passionate person when it comes to grilled cheese and mac & cheese. All of you foodies stay the hell away from our grilled cheeses and stop associating your sandwich melts with them. Yet again, it is utter blasphemy and it rocks me to the core of my pale being.

Shit, I stopped lurking after 3 years and made this account for the sole purpose of posting this. I've seen post after post of peoples "grilled cheeses" all over reddit and it's been driving me insane. The moment I saw this subreddit this morning I finally snapped. Hell, I may even start my own subreddit just because I know this one exists now.

You god damn heretics. Respect the grilled cheese and stop changing it into whatever you like and love it for it what it is. Or make your damn melt sandwich and call it for what it is. A melt."

Yeah, this was about the first post in that thread. It quickly went downhill from there.

Also, goddamn am I hungry.

Reactions: TrufleShufle

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
So I guess that Dube is not a hero for acknowledging his mental health and doing something about it?

Bell let's talk day and using mental health as a reason to go to visit the London police.... Classy.

"Bell let's talk day"

What?

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Evidence may not exist to warrant charges for JD 6-8. Which is why I and many others have mentioned that the charges being laid in the first place is a huge statistical indicator of likely guilt. Charges don't come up lightly.

Yeah, this was about the first post in that thread. It quickly went downhill from there.

Also, goddamn am I hungry.
So does that potentially mean 3 players are getting away with it unless the assumption is that she was so intoxicated that she couldn't count.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
So does that potentially mean 3 players are getting away with it unless the assumption is that she was so intoxicated that she couldn't count.

Could also be that the other JDs didn't participate in any actual activity and simply left the room. One of the JDs, for instance, is alleged to be someone who simply came up for pizza and was off-put by the sexual activity breaking out and so left the room.

Avs44

May 16, 2011

I mean, there are a couple possible reasons for the discrepancy between what the lawsuit said and what the crown is doing...

1) Potentially, eight players will be charged, but 3 of them might not have been from the WJC team. I believe from the 2022 documents we learned that all 8 players allegedly involved were CHL players but not all of them were necessarily WJC players -- and, since the other 3 aren't "big names," news just hasn't broken yet. The London police haven't released much.

2) More charges could be laid in the future; they're just going with the primarily culprits right now.

3) They don't have definitive evidence against additional players that they are confident they can prove were involved beyond reasonable doubt. Who knows what sort of evidence the police have (video showing players' faces? Testimony?). It's fully possible the lawsuit named 8 but the police could only definitively identity 5. The lawsuit might have also been somewhat mistaken. Who knows.

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Could also be that the other JDs didn't participate in any actual activity and simply left the room. One of the JDs, for instance, is alleged to be someone who simply came up for pizza and was off-put by the sexual activity breaking out and so left the room.
I mean if we are considering this to be R*** then coming up for pizza and not doing anything else is absolutely heinous and no way that player deserves to be in the NHL.

It just means they lack evidence to charge the rest.
So 3 players are getting away with it, or atleast the fact they could have stopped it but didn't or reported it but didn't. What does lack of evidence really mean in this situation like did 3 players not commit the act so that's why they got away with it? If I'm the NHL no way I think those 3 players deserve to be in my league.

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
I mean if we are considering this to be R*** then coming up for pizza and not doing anything else is absolutely heinous and no way that player deserves to be in the NHL.

So 3 players are getting away with it, or atleast the fact they could have stopped it but didn't or reported it but didn't. What does lack of evidence really mean in this situation like did 3 players not commit the act so that's why they got away with it? If I'm the NHL no way I think those 3 players deserve to be in my league.
Especially since he reportedly said he stayed for 10 minutes before leaving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad