Five members from Canada’s 2018 world junior team (Hart, McLeod, Dube, Foote and Formenton) told to surrender to police, facing sexual assault charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I get that you're trying to be cheeky, but what I'm saying is grounded in truth.

And yes, if both parties are comparably intoxicated and both parties are ostensibly consenting, but both parties are statutorily unable to consent, and we declare that the man alone is a rapist because only men need to secure consent from women and not the other way around, then yes, that man is a significant victim of sexist double standards.

And yes, this double standard is a popular one to this present day, even if criminal laws explicitly encoding them have AFAIK all been removed.
Keeping it specific to the London case(if you can get off your soapbox for just a second), when was the last time we've heard of 7-8 Women Hockey Players taking a drunken guy up to their rooms, then having repeated sex with him. Also throw in asking him to shower afterwards, and sign a consent form, while they loomed over him, as a group.

The answer is, it doesn't happen! Quit pretending that it does.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
I once witnessed a comment thread on Facebook devolve into an angry, vitriolic screaming match full of slurs of all kind -- sexist, racist, homophobic, you name it -- and it did so in about 10-15 minutes.

The original post was a recipe for a grilled ham and cheese sandwich.

The flashpoint was whether or not it was still a 'grilled cheese' once you added ham into it.

You think these are the type of people I want to discuss politics with?

Trust me, it's fine the way it is here.

If thou must, have one forum where anything goes that's never moderated for any speech save that which is strictly illegal, then shut the door and bar the gate.
Not surprising. Not surprising in the slightest. The addition of ham clearly turns the sandwich from a grilled cheese into a melt and I will [redacted] any [pejorative slur] who says otherwise and if anyone has anything else to say about that I will [this portion of the comment removed by the Hockey's Future legal team].

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019
Why would things change when charged? A charge is not a conviction.

I care because I value individual rights in regard to p
A charge means they've gathered evidence. Of course it changes things. What an ignorant comment.
I feel for the fans of those teams that have players suspected as being part of this.
Yeah it's really the fans that have it the worst here and not the victim. Hopefully clubs will be able to step up and cover the costs of fans getting professional support following their trauma.

Reactions: T REX

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
A charge means they've gathered evidence. Of course it changes things. What an ignorant comment.

Yeah it's really the fans that have it the worst here and not the victim. Hopefully clubs will be able to step up and cover the costs of fans getting professional support following their trauma.
Enough evidence to lay charges does not mean enough evidence to convict.

MVP Zacha

Feb 8, 2012
Kansas
Wait until you see all the posters who are secretly lawyers with an expertise in the law re: sexual assault, who last week were also experts in labor law re: the draft and the week prior to that were personal injury experts re: defamation.
Hey, I take offense to this, lol. I am an expert in Labor Law. Been doing it for about 12 years now. But I do get your point that the internet experts always come out if the woodwork in these situations.

The Grim Reaper

Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
Keeping it specific to the London case(if you can get off your soapbox for just a second), when was the last time we've heard of 7-8 Women Hockey Players taking a drunken guy up to their rooms, then having repeated sex with him. Also throw in asking him to shower afterwards, and sign a consent form, while they loomed over him, as a group.

Going to the bar, fingers crossed, I'll report back.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
I once witnessed a comment thread on Facebook devolve into an angry, vitriolic screaming match full of slurs of all kind -- sexist, racist, homophobic, you name it -- and it did so in about 10-15 minutes.

The original post was a recipe for a grilled ham and cheese sandwich.

The flashpoint was whether or not it was still a 'grilled cheese' once you added ham into it.

You think these are the type of people I want to discuss politics with?

Trust me, it's fine the way it is here.

If thou must, have one forum where anything goes that's never moderated for any speech save that which is strictly illegal, then shut the door and bar the gate.
You can't put ham in grilled cheese, you fascist.

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015
You underestimate how the level of concern among young sexually active men has grown since sexual assault hearings American campuses have turned into kangaroo courts. Certainly to a high enough degree that it would be a folly to assume it’s a sign of guilt.

Human beings, yes men and women alike, show a propensity to show oversized concern to some risks, with no rhyme nor reason.
I don't remember when it started, but the women travelling with bantam teams to teach them "sensitivity" are often pretty sketchy. Junior players deal with a lot of stalking and harassment, so I wouldn't really blame them for being extra paranoid.

Reactions: AlphaLackey

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011

You don't hear about it ..........as the guy does not complain or kiss and Tell
I ........ know I didn't say a word when it happened to me.........

That way if you did a good job you get invited back

Talk about the Double standard,!

Reactions: HolyCrap

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
I really wanted to avoid this thread like the plague but this is a question I had and didn't know where to ask. So thanks for engaging, so now I'll ask.

Question(s); Can a team terminate a contract in these circumstances? Is it on a contract to contract basis based on what clauses are in the contract? Is there something the NHLPA can do? Is there an agreement between the league and the players in these types of circumstances?
I am not sure, since this happened before their contracts were signed.

Worth mentioning that all of these contracts expire after this season.

Reactions: 333359

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Enough evidence to lay charges does not mean enough evidence to convict.
In theory, true. In practice, false. Prosecutors tend to be very conservative in charging decisions, especially in high profile cases, and almost never bring charges in major public matters unless they have overwhelming evidence.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
I really wanted to avoid this thread like the plague but this is a question I had and didn't know where to ask. So thanks for engaging, so now I'll ask.

Question(s); Can a team terminate a contract in these circumstances? Is it on a contract to contract basis based on what clauses are in the contract? Is there something the NHLPA can do? Is there an agreement between the league and the players in these types of circumstances?

These players all may or may not have contracts expiring this season. I doubt their teams will do anything other than just let them run out.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
FYI from London Police Service:
We understand that there is significant public interest in relation to a sexual assault investigation dating back to 2018. We anticipate that the LPS will hold a press conference on Monday, February 5, 2024, to share further details.

https://x.com/lpsmediaoffice/status/1750253200232345703?s=20

Presumably, this gives all 5 guys time to report and be processed/charged, apply for bail.

Reactions: Zirakzigil

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
Not necessarily - if they play for a US based team, their reason for leaving is to go "home"
If they are Canadian citizens on work visas to play in the states I would imagine those work visas would need to be reviewed. Typically, not always...the USA doesn't allow people to cross the boarder facing charges or with a criminal record. Unless from the south.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
FYI from London Police Service:
We understand that there is significant public interest in relation to a sexual assault investigation dating back to 2018. We anticipate that the LPS will hold a press conference on Monday, February 5, 2024, to share further details.

https://x.com/lpsmediaoffice/status/1750253200232345703?s=20

Presumably, this gives all 5 guys time to report and be processed/charged, apply for bail.
Really surprised they didn't put it as 2025 just to drag this on longer.

Reactions: Larry44

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
In theory, true. In practice, false. Prosecutors tend to be very conservative in charging decisions, especially in high profile cases, and almost never bring charges in major public matters unless they have overwhelming evidence.
This is generally true though clearly the evidence in the Virtanen trial was far from overwhelming so it’s not a certainty that it is in this case either

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad