Five members from Canada’s 2018 world junior team (Hart, McLeod, Dube, Foote and Formenton) told to surrender to police, facing sexual assault charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
An easier solution is just terminate the contract if you have a player that had charges filed against them.
I think as weird as it would be the pa would grieve, theyd use the argument they will be found not guilty and you can’t terminate a contract I think that’s why they’re on “Leave”

Dec 15, 2002
An easier solution is just terminate the contract if you have a player that had charges filed against them.
That's where the NHLPA would get involved, and the NHL isn't going to chance having that grievance get in front of an arbitrator and losing over someone merely being charged.

Reactions: AlphaLackey

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Discussing politics anywhere just turns into shit slinging.

I once witnessed a comment thread on Facebook devolve into an angry, vitriolic screaming match full of slurs of all kind -- sexist, racist, homophobic, you name it -- and it did so in about 10-15 minutes.

The original post was a recipe for a grilled ham and cheese sandwich.

The flashpoint was whether or not it was still a 'grilled cheese' once you added ham into it.

You think these are the type of people I want to discuss politics with?

Trust me, it's fine the way it is here.

If thou must, have one forum where anything goes that's never moderated for any speech save that which is strictly illegal, then shut the door and bar the gate.

Sorry

May 18, 2005
Discussing! Will take years for Hockey Canada to recover. All the executors of team Canada who had a part in covering this up should be charge as well.
That's where the NHLPA would get involved, and the NHL isn't going to chance having that grievance get in front of an arbitrator and losing over someone merely being charged.
I really wanted to avoid this thread like the plague but this is a question I had and didn't know where to ask. So thanks for engaging, so now I'll ask.

Question(s); Can a team terminate a contract in these circumstances? Is it on a contract to contract basis based on what clauses are in the contract? Is there something the NHLPA can do? Is there an agreement between the league and the players in these types of circumstances?

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
what about cases where that’s what both parties believed, but one later alleges otherwise, as can often be done during messy divorces. That’s a lot bigger concern. And the double standards the people attach to statutory consent laws makes that even bigger. See which, the response I got when first posting it.

but that’s ultimately besides the point: a law that criminalizes ordinary behaviour that a wide majority of Canadians have done in their life is a badly written law.

Are you familiar with the 2008 Nebraska Safe Haven law? It’s like the poster child of what happens when you think wording isn’t important.
Double standards? This isn’t two extraordinarily drunk people. If both parties are unconscious then unless one of them suffers from sexsomnia there won’t be any sex occurring at all and in that case they wouldn’t be convicted if this was a proven condition as they lack intent when they’re unconscious.

Very curious if there is any evidence that the wide majority of people are having sex with their sleeping/unconscious partner? I do know way too many people where that happened to them without the person ever discussing that with them beforehand and them never having given advanced consent to it and who made it clear upon being woken up that it was not consensual. I had assumed having sex with unconscious people without prior discussion was rather aberrant behaviour.

One of the cases that established the case law behind the interpretation involved two strangers who were groping an unconscious woman in the middle of a public street and were acquitted because there was no evidence she had not consented to this prior to becoming unconscious. Most people would consider the possibility she had previously consented to that so outrageous that they would dismiss it out of hand as a possibility and yet they were acquitted and the case was appealed to the SCC.

Reactions: Holocene

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I really wanted to avoid this thread like the plague but this is a question I had and didn't know where to ask. So thanks for engaging, so now I'll ask.

Question(s); Can a team terminate a contract in these circumstances? Is it on a contract to contract basis based on what clauses are in the contract? Is there something the NHLPA can do? Is there an agreement between the league and the players in these types of circumstances?
Yes. I'd have to pull up the exact CBA provision, but there are morality clauses in every NHL contract and getting convicted of charges relating to this would absolutely allow a team to unilaterally terminate a contract.

Worth noting that contract termination is not mandatory- teams could keep the contact on the books with the player suspended from the team- but I'm pretty sure we'd be talking termination in the event of convictions.

Acquittals would be a lot thornier for the NHL. You'd very possibly still see contract terminations, but whether the NHLPA contested it and the results of that would likely depend a lot on the evidence presented at trial.

Reactions: Chainshot and Sorry

United35

Jan 16, 2021
Players with potential who play for bad teams end up sucking up a lot of fan hope and jersey sales. Usually there are a lot of those players' jerseys in the crowd when you go to those teams' games. So there are a lot of people, and a lot of kids, who would feel let down were this story to play out in a way that it might.

I can't imagine for a kid.

I personally am a big music guy, and a big rap fan. I watched one rapper come up from playing in bars for 20 people into becoming a critical darling who sold out mid-sized club tours and commanded a stage better than anyone I've seen in any genre of music. Right as he was beginning his ascent, he was accused of a sexual assault overseas.

I was a grown man when the story broke—26, maybe—but it still knocked me on my ass, because this was a person I had been following for almost a decade, someone whose voice I had heard in my headphones for literally hundreds or thousands of hours of my life.

That turned out to be one of the rare, rare, RARE cases of a false accusation—the artist was totally exonerated with exculpatory evidence and resumed his career after being locked up pre-trial in a foreign country for months. But I remember the dismal feeling of putting so much support and faith behind someone only to have that marred by the potential that they had done something heinous.

For a child looking up to a sports hero, such a sitution would be impossible to process—especially those too young to understand or be told the reasons why. "He did an awful thing that you're not old enough to process, now let's get you a new shirt to wear." Empty feeling.
Understandable, but welcome to planet Earth.

With all the horrible things that happen on our planet, the loss of an idol is a wet dream compared to many other alternatives that people face.

It could just as easily be a good learning moment for the child.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad