Five members from Canada’s 2018 world junior team (Hart, McLeod, Dube, Foote and Formenton) told to surrender to police, facing sexual assault charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Question. The lady was paid out before to settle right? For the lawyers out there, does that payout have any relevance to this case in that the players may get a lesser sentence or because they were guilty once and paid out, it might make any potential sentence less?

Not a lawyer but that was a civil case. No criminal charges have been brought forward but seems like they will be shortly.

Reactions: Gregsky99

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
I don't understand how many people are ready to crucify all or any players already. Let them do their job and wait for the sentences if there will be some. "Innocent before proven guilty" was a thing before social media, now its "Guilty before proven guilty, and if proven innocent, still guilty".
Innocent until proven guilty was never the standard in the public domain. It was and still is a legal principle.

It's first-class revisionism to suggest that mob-mentality pre-judgement only started when Tom started sending out friend requests.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Question. The lady was paid out before to settle right? For the lawyers out there, does that payout have any relevance to this case in that the players may get a lesser sentence or because they were guilty once and paid out, it might make any potential sentence less?
No relevance at all. A settlement is civil, these are pending criminal charges. The civil payout will have no effect on the criminal indictment.

A criminal case is not the victim suing the perp for damages. It is the state punishing those who break the law. The state can still prosecute even if the victim does not want them to.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I’m not a lawyer but

In Canada, when you file a police report, and the crown has enough evidence to charge someone with, they will take it to trial regardless if the victim wants them charged or not. the outcome has no bearing on civil lawsuits and vice versa.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Hopefully you are not equating what happened at the Hockey Canada event to a typical sexual event?

The one and one thing alone I am doing in that post is refuting the assertion that "documenting consent is proof you are guilty, because no innocent person does that", by citing the sort of sexist double standards those young men would have encountered and heard about during the time they were sexually active, and that in the case where these boys are innocent and the charges are false, they would easily and also have done the same thing.

In no way am I equating what the prosecution alleges happened with a typical drunken hookup, no.

Even if the players were also drunk, if the prosecution can prove she was unable to consent the players are guilty.

And if both parties were comparably intoxicated and both parties were thus unable to consent? Do we just go with the usual double standards?

Reactions: sepster

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
My friends kid is a huge [redacted] fan. [redacted] gave him a puck at a game in [redacted]. It would suck for him and [redacted] fans if he was involved.

Players with potential who play for bad teams end up sucking up a lot of fan hope and jersey sales. Usually there are a lot of those players' jerseys in the crowd when you go to those teams' games. So there are a lot of people, and a lot of kids, who would feel let down were this story to play out in a way that it might.

I can't imagine for a kid.

I personally am a big music guy, and a big rap fan. I watched one rapper come up from playing in bars for 20 people into becoming a critical darling who sold out mid-sized club tours and commanded a stage better than anyone I've seen in any genre of music. Right as he was beginning his ascent, he was accused of a sexual assault overseas.

I was a grown man when the story broke—26, maybe—but it still knocked me on my ass, because this was a person I had been following for almost a decade, someone whose voice I had heard in my headphones for literally hundreds or thousands of hours of my life.

That turned out to be one of the rare, rare, RARE cases of a false accusation—the artist was totally exonerated with exculpatory evidence and resumed his career after being locked up pre-trial in a foreign country for months. But I remember the dismal feeling of putting so much support and faith behind someone only to have that marred by the potential that they had done something heinous.

For a child looking up to a sports hero, such a sitution would be impossible to process—especially those too young to understand or be told the reasons why. "He did an awful thing that you're not old enough to process, now let's get you a new shirt to wear." Empty feeling.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
The persecution of horribly drunk men has to stop. :sarcasm:

I get that you're trying to be cheeky, but what I'm saying is grounded in truth.

And yes, if both parties are comparably intoxicated and both parties are ostensibly consenting, but both parties are statutorily unable to consent, and we declare that the man alone is a rapist because only men need to secure consent from women and not the other way around, then yes, that man is a significant victim of sexist double standards.

And yes, this double standard is a popular one to this present day, even if criminal laws explicitly encoding them have AFAIK all been removed.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Nope

Civil matters and criminal matters are entirely separate - paying out or losing a civil matter has no bearing on guilt in a criminal matter as well, it cannot even be considered

Reactions: Gregsky99

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
This coming from a Blackhawk fan, from Canada…

Boy oh boy! The ‘none reporting’ going on with this situation is unbelievable! Compared to the Blackhawks and the whole Kyle Beach saga-then the whole Corey Perry media fiasco this is so biased…I’m a Canadian hockey fan and the ‘protecting’ going on with ‘our boys’ is absolutely unbelievable…hypocrisy is crazy!

Maple Leafs usher child sex abuse, was swept under the carpet…poor Kruse kid killed himself over it…

Just can’t believe how little this is being talked about…Canadas’(yes the whole country) dirty little secret, not the only thing Hockey Canada has ‘hidden’ about its glorious sport

The hell are you taking about. This news is literally everywhere.

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005
Bro popped into a 50 page thread to talk about how nobody is talking about it lmfao

1706138200110.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad