Five members from Canada’s 2018 world junior team (Hart, McLeod, Dube, Foote and Formenton) told to surrender to police, facing sexual assault charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
It simply maintains that it cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt that the person in question is guilty of the crime in question. Innocence is not established or explicitly declared in a criminal trial because that isn't the point of a criminal trial.
Again it isn’t declared because during a trial you’re innocent until proven guilty….

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
If you start as innocent, why do you need to be proven as innocent?
I reached out to this guy about being not guilty vs proven innocent on Twitter but haven't heard back yet
1706134005472.jpeg

Reactions: AlphaLackey

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
All well and correct, of course, but it also bears mentioning that a conviction of guilt beyond a reasonable doubt doesn’t mean you were guilty. So at some point, we have to decide how much a verdict means re: likelihood of innocence. And even that can vary wildly from case to case.
Agreed. But then it starts to get into a conversation about what can actually be proven, what is actual guilt or innocence, and other conversations I'm not nearly high enough to get into.

Reactions: AlphaLackey

kingsholygrail

3-1-2 IT BEGINS!
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I didn't speculate bud. If you see above, I claimed it's absurd folks immediately assume guilt based on accusations.

And a debate on a case, if I'm familiar and read into it and based what I have, can be enjoyable and entertaining.

I shouldn't need to recuse myself from a case I have no vested interest in, but next chance I get I'll inform anyone around me a guy on HF Boards set me straight.
lol I didn't mean to come off that you couldn't talk about it.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I reached out to this guy about being not guilty vs proven innocent on Twitter but haven't heard back yet
View attachment 809588

Though OJ and the boys on the Duke Lacrosse team may have gotten the same verdict, I’m free to speculate about who is likelier to have exploited Blackstone’s Ratio to get there.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
just glad the names are out now so folks stop just throwing random names out there
Probably some relief for the others on that team. People wondering if you were one of the people involved and such.

That and it's good for the victim that things are finally moving forward.

Reactions: jabubenice

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
That’s because most people who don’t believe they are breaking the law will generally not talk as much about their sex lives with others.
You’d be surprised how much women talk to each other about such things.

The odds of being criminally charge and convicted for that in cases where both parties believe it was consensual and there was prior agreement are astronomically small. That law as is makes it a lot easier for the alarming amount of times people seem think that is a normal thing to do without ever having a conversation or getting consent from their partner beforehand

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
This coming from a Blackhawk fan, from Canada…

Boy oh boy! The ‘none reporting’ going on with this situation is unbelievable! Compared to the Blackhawks and the whole Kyle Beach saga-then the whole Corey Perry media fiasco this is so biased…I’m a Canadian hockey fan and the ‘protecting’ going on with ‘our boys’ is absolutely unbelievable…hypocrisy is crazy!

Maple Leafs usher child sex abuse, was swept under the carpet…poor Kruse kid killed himself over it…

Just can’t believe how little this is being talked about…Canadas’(yes the whole country) dirty little secret, not the only thing Hockey Canada has ‘hidden’ about its glorious sport

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
And using your logic if I’m accused of murdering someone that I didn’t, but since im not found innocent but instead I’m found not guilty that doesn’t mean I’m actually innocent.
No, by my logic you're innocent because you didn't do it while also being not guilty in the eyes of the law. In the situation I presented I'm not guilty in the eyes of the law but guilty of actually committing the crime. The original post you were responding to was only saying that it's possible to be cleared in court while having actually done the crime.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Boy oh boy! The ‘none reporting’ going on with this situation is unbelievable! Compared to the Blackhawks and the whole Kyle Beach saga-then the whole Corey Perry media fiasco this is so biased…I’m a Canadian hockey fan and the ‘protecting’ going on with ‘our boys’ is absolutely unbelievable…hypocrisy is crazy!

Maple Leafs usher child sex abuse, was swept under the carpet…poor Kruse kid killed himself over it…

Just can’t believe how little this is being talked about…Canadas’(yes the whole country) dirty little secret, not the only thing Hockey Canada has ‘hidden’ about its glorious sport
Wasn’t the Chicago thing kept under wraps for a decade.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I'll be interested to see if come mid February the PA gets into a spat with the league over these guys being able to resume playing...its possible no trial would take place til summer or later. I am not certain teams would be willing to suspend guys over charges alone so it could get interesting

Reactions: Flukeshot

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Also, retroactive consent is generally not a thing in Western democracies. For consent to be valid, it generally must be informed, specific, unambiguous, and freely given - and it must be granted at or before the time of the actions in question.
It likely was, with the first person she went back to the hotel with, even though both had been drinking.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
You’d be surprised how much women talk to each other about such things.

The odds of being criminally charge and convicted for that in cases where both parties believe it was consensual and there was prior agreement are astronomically small. That law as is makes it a lot easier for the alarming amount of times people seem think that is a normal thing to do without ever having a conversation or getting consent from their partner beforehand

what about cases where that’s what both parties believed, but one later alleges otherwise, as can often be done during messy divorces. That’s a lot bigger concern. And the double standards the people attach to statutory consent laws makes that even bigger. See which, the response I got when first posting it.

but that’s ultimately besides the point: a law that criminalizes ordinary behaviour that a wide majority of Canadians have done in their life is a badly written law.

Are you familiar with the 2008 Nebraska Safe Haven law? It’s like the poster child of what happens when you think wording isn’t important.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
Insurance companies don't pay people large sums of money for no reason. Bauer's insurance company paid instead of him. That's no different than him paying directly.

And he still has other accusers.

"One of Hill's attorneys, Bryan Freedman, wrote the following in a statement: "In April 2022, Trevor Bauer sued Lindsey Hill for defamation. In what turned out to be an outstanding resolution for Lindsey, neither Lindsey nor anyone on her behalf paid anything to Bauer. Not a single dollar. Even better, Lindsey received $300,000 from her insurance company. Based on that payment, Lindsey agreed to settle the lawsuit. Now that the lawsuit is over, Lindsey looks forward to helping others.""

Bauer's insurance company didn't pay her anything. Bauer was counter suing her for defamation, she received a payment from her own insurance company, they then both dropped their respective lawsuits.

Reactions: Kleefeld

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

The story is on the front page of the CBC's website, also national post, la presse.. it's the head line story on rds.ca and the globe and mail. You're full of shit.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

What protection? No one is saying anything because there are no facts to connect the dots. No one wants to be sued.

Hockey Canada has already taken a ton of heat on this story when it broke back in 2022 and then it's been quiet as there hasn't been any new information until today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad