Five members from Canada’s 2018 world junior team (Hart, McLeod, Dube, Foote and Formenton) told to surrender to police, facing sexual assault charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
And using your logic if I’m accused of murdering someone that I didn’t, but since im not found innocent but instead I’m found not guilty that doesn’t mean I’m actually innocent.
Not at all. People are simply pointing out that the judicial system does not find you innocent. It finds you guilty or not guilty. It makes no determination as to your innocence.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
AP named the former 2018 Canada world junior players that have taken a leave of absence from their teams while noting that it's at the same time as a report that 5 players from that world junior team have been requested to surrender to police.

They're still not directly connecting the dots because it's not factual yet.

This right here.

This is why names cannot be named, it’s all speculation. I understand people are connecting the dots but it doesn’t matter, till it‘s officially reported.

Jun 25, 2021
So they are turds before proven guilty? Exactly what my point was in the last post.

Edit: What if 2 or 3 of them will be guilty of said act, and 2 or 3 will be innocent, are they still all turds?
This has been going on for years and they have to interrupt their careers so I'm assuming they are all guilty. Whether some are acquitted or not is relevant to the court room and not my opinion. If I was on a jury I would let my opinion go and deal in facts.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I was just trying to clarify if in your post "victim" was used in regards to that possibility.

You know what? I owe you a measure of an apology. Your response was reasonable and asked for clarification, not a backhanded insinuation. I have fielded lots of those today, but I was in the wrong to judge your words based on a reaction to others.

To answer your question: I think it is very likely that one or more parties are guilty of the crime they are charged. As with all cases, charges are not brought lightly.

However, there is a non-zero, non-trivial chance that the accusation is false, and a similar chance that both parties got drunk and freaky and that double standards are factoring in.

The trial is a necessity. I remember how sure everyone was about the Duke Lacrosse case. Things can change in a minute once hard evidence enters view.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
That's not correct in rape cases. Because there is so little evidence to go by, and the overwhelming majority of accusations are legit, the current system is set up to let a lot of rapists skate.
How do you know this? Are you able to travel through time and space and observe what really happened in every instance of a rape allegation?

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
AP named the former 2018 Canada world junior players that have taken a leave of absence from their teams while noting that it's at the same time as a report that 5 players from that world junior team have been requested to surrender to police.

They're still not directly connecting the dots because it's not factual yet.
This must be how the GMs of each NHL team felt when they knew they were harboring these players...

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Corey Perry be like
im-not-the-bad-guy-here-chris-cantada.gif

kingsholygrail

3-1-2 IT BEGINS!
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
If it were consensual there would be absolutely no reason for the insurance company to write the woman a check. That makes absolutely no sense.
Because the activity was consensual. If you get hurt at your friend's house. Their homeowners insurance would write you a check for your medical bills, right? That doesn't mean your friend did something wrong. It's not an admission of guilt.

More specifically the selfie video she took of the morning after clearly showed she wasn't injured to the extend she claimed if she was injured at all. Go have a watch. If anything she should be pursued for fraud, but it's a strange world we live in.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
Not at all. People are simply pointing out that the judicial system does not find you innocent. It finds you guilty or not guilty. It makes no determination as to your innocence.
That’s because in the court of law you are innocent until proven guilty….it’s not hard to understand this. if you’re found to be not guilty that in turn maintains your innocence

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
Wait until you see all the posters who are secretly lawyers with an expertise in the law re: sexual assault, who last week were also experts in labor law re: the draft and the week prior to that were personal injury experts re: defamation.

Hahaha, it's one of my favorite things to read.

As an attorney, not criminal defense, I love a good debate as good as the next one. But generally my questions aimed at folks claiming knowledge or fact gets them upset and it goes sideways.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
How long before the following happens

1. IIHF announces that Team Canada has been stripped of hosting all junior tournaments til 2030.

2. IIHF announces Team Canada has been banned from partipicating in the IIHF World juniors 2024 tournament.

3. Hockey Canada apologizes to the public for trying to silence victims and sweep this under the rug.

If all of this happened, it still would be a light punishment for Hockey Canada!

I wish Canada were banned from the 2024 tournament. It would have saved the embarrassment of whatever that QF game was, and some horrible roster decisions.

kingsholygrail

3-1-2 IT BEGINS!
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Hahaha, it's one of my favorite things to read.

As an attorney, not criminal defense, I love a good debate as good as the next one. But generally my questions aimed at folks claiming knowledge or fact gets them upset and it goes sideways.
But as an attorney, aren't you supposed to refrain from speculating on a case you don't have access to the files on? You're in the same boat as the rest of us.

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Also, retroactive consent is generally not a thing in Western democracies. For consent to be valid, it generally must be informed, specific, unambiguous, and freely given - and it must be granted at or before the time of the actions in question.

Edit - and, oh yeah, intoxicated "consent" isn't consent.

Last edited:

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
I need to stop commenting on this topic for real and just wait for the verdict, but what im going to say is: I dont think all 5 dudes will be convicted, and for those who will, i hope they never play professional hockey again and think about that for the rest of their lives.

The last thing im going to say is it's absolutely f***ing STUPID how lawsuits work in North America for me, for example the victim of this case got already paid 3million by Hockey Canada if the reporting is right. I dont understand these moneylawsuits at all from the perspective of a European dude.

For example, people sue other people or companies for millions of dollars every day in Murica, and get paid. HOW exactly is that fair is something i dont understand. You cant do that here in civilized world, i cant just randomly demand 17million from someone, i need to prove that i would have gotten said 17million without his actions. Ok im diving too deep, shit, good night.

Reactions: Devonator

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
That’s because in the court of law you are innocent until proven guilty….it’s not hard to understand this. if you’re found to be not guilty that in turn maintains your innocence
It simply maintains that it cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt that the person in question is guilty of the crime in question. Innocence is not established or explicitly declared in a criminal trial because that isn't the point of a criminal trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad